Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is LHR-TLV long or short haul?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Is LHR-TLV long or short haul?

Will be going to Tel Aviv in a few months for work, and I'm a bit confused by the service BA offers there. It seems to be operated by both long haul and short haul aircraft (787s and A321s, respectively). While the former seem to have a four class configuration and the usual trappings associated with long-haul, I'm a bit more confused by the service on the A321s. Since work only pays for economy, and I'll likely end up taking the red-eye arriving into TLV around 5:30, I'd hope for World Traveller rather than Euro Traveller, but not sure how the logistics of operating that on an A321 work out..
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
It's always the World Traveller product there (well, very occasional exceptions but I've not seen a recent issue here, used to be a problem 2 years ago when shorhaul jets were occasionally used). The A321 are the old BMI aircraft with just a WT and a CW cabin but in either cabin it certainly beats short haul and the service is fully longhaul. For example you can pay to upgrade your meals in WT if you want. A search of midhaul A321 will bring up lots more information, it sometimes gets used on flights within Europe too, by exception.
Mordac likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 9:53 am

Programs: Deliveroo Plus
I was once told LON-TLV is the shortest- long haul flight, and like CWS has correctly stated there was a period of time BA would use the A321 and had effectively removed the business class product but thankfully they changed that back a while back.
Mordac likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 10:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by yb90
I was once told LON-TLV is the shortest- long haul flight,.
DME is much shorter, 1600 miles compared to 2300 milles approximately. BEY is also 70 miles shorter than TLV, and is currently also midhaul A321. CAI is also technically shorter than TLV but the actual route taken is usually longer. But these A321s are properly fitted out to WT standards, it's not EuroTraveller seating.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: Deliveroo Plus
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
DME is much shorter, 1600 miles compared to 2300 milles approximately. BEY is also 70 miles shorter than TLV, and is currently also midhaul A321. CAI is also technically shorter than TLV but the actual route taken is usually longer. But these A321s are properly fitted out to WT standards, it's not EuroTraveller seating.
Indeed I stand corrected, obviously LCA is also shorter albeit they use Club Europe, something I should of realised.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by yb90
Indeed I stand corrected, obviously LCA is also shorter albeit they use Club Europe, something I should of realised.
LGW's ill-fated service to SSH was in EuroTraveller/Club Europe shorthaul, all 2405 miles of it. The crew didn't even get a night stop out of just about the cheapest place in the Northern Hemisphere to have one.
yb90 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 12:43 pm

Avoid the 321 if you're in economy. It's basically a short haul aircraft with cramped seats.
Like you, my work doesn't pay for anything other than economy. I've just booked a flight out there next month and upgraded the return to wtp for an extra £75 which I think was worth the cash. Outbound was £150 which I felt was stretching it for such a short flight, especially as I'll eat in the lounge beforehand. The lounge in TLV is a small room with no views, or food.

Also avoid the red-eyes. Never done them myself on that route but you'll get a terrible sleep, if any, in economy and even in j or f the flight's too short for any decent sleep.

Oh I were paying myself I wouldn't bother with anything higher than wtp unless chasing TP.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 2:55 pm
DS7

Programs: BA (shiny); VS (amoeba); Others (plankton)
LGW's ill-fated service to SSH was in EuroTraveller/Club Europe shorthaul, all 2405 miles of it. The crew didn't even get a night stop out of just about the cheapest place in the Northern Hemisphere to have one.
really? I'm pretty sure I flew that route in CW on a 772 a good few years ago. Route didn't last long though....
Old Dec 29, 2017, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by DS7
really? I'm pretty sure I flew that route in CW on a 772 a good few years ago. Route didn't last long though....
Yes that would have been in 2010 or so, but when the LCCs arrived it was never going to make money so that didn't survive very long. However in September 2015 BA LGW decided to have another go, this time using A320 aircraft and the shorthaul product. But after the Metrojet crash in November 2015 the service was suspended and never resumed.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 8:12 pm

Programs: AA Platinum for Life (2MM), BR Gold, AS MVP Gold, Marriott Lifetime Gold
I flew TLV-LHR in a 777 in November 2017, in business class. Same product as on the long-haul routes I've experienced (specifically, between SEA and LHR).
Old Dec 30, 2017, 7:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Yes that would have been in 2010 or so, but when the LCCs arrived it was never going to make money so that didn't survive very long. However in September 2015 BA LGW decided to have another go, this time using A320 aircraft and the shorthaul product. But after the Metrojet crash in November 2015 the service was suspended and never resumed.
it may still resume once the suspension is lifted, as SSH is still suspended for all UK airlines
Old Dec 30, 2017, 9:21 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
A quick side question. Does anyone know if there are still any mid-haul A321 aircraft with the brown leather seats in Y? I know MEDG & MEDN have the blue covered seats and I find these less comfortable than the brown leather ones.

S
Old Dec 30, 2017, 11:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by Mordac
Will be going to Tel Aviv in a few months for work, and I'm a bit confused by the service BA offers there. It seems to be operated by both long haul and short haul aircraft (787s and A321s, respectively)
787 is off the route for now and doesn't look to return for next summer schedule either (although this could change). You'll have two 777 operated services per day if traveling during the winter or two 777s and one A321 during the summer.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by ppp909
The lounge in TLV is a small room with no views, or food.
Not exactly true. The dedicated Dan + lounge has two rooms with comfortable seating and certainly does have food. Some is out and some is by order.
But it can get very crowded in there at certain times of the day, so one of the other two Dan lounges can sometimes be a better option, plus a more decent food spread in there (don't expect anything special but it's ok and depending on the times of day includes dips, salads, breads, hot soup etc...).

Last edited by clubman; Jan 6, 2018 at 11:45 am
Old Jan 3, 2018, 2:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by clubman
787 is off the route for now and doesn't look to return for next summer schedule either (although this could change). You'll have two 777 operated services per day if traveling during the winter or two 777s and one A321 during the summer.
Thanks, I'd asked a flight attendant on my last flight and they said it was 787s, but I guess they weren't up to date, probably because they don't work the route (not that I expect them to have to have encyclopedic knowledge, I was mostly making small talk while waiting for the toilet to be free :P )

Originally Posted by ppp909
Avoid the 321 if you're in economy. It's basically a short haul aircraft with cramped seats.
Like you, my work doesn't pay for anything other than economy. I've just booked a flight out there next month and upgraded the return to wtp for an extra £75 which I think was worth the cash. Outbound was £150 which I felt was stretching it for such a short flight, especially as I'll eat in the lounge beforehand. The lounge in TLV is a small room with no views, or food.

Also avoid the red-eyes. Never done them myself on that route but you'll get a terrible sleep, if any, in economy and even in j or f the flight's too short for any decent sleep.

Oh I were paying myself I wouldn't bother with anything higher than wtp unless chasing TP.
Thank you very much for this info, I do struggle to sleep in a sitting position at the best of times, so will see if I can add an extra night to avoid the red-eye (and the A321, which was booked for at least some of the red-eyes when I looked it at!)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.