Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why is a 747 doing BA238/239?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2017, 8:03 am
Original Poster

Why is a 747 doing BA238/239?

Until now I've seen mainly 777's and 787's.

I thought it would makes more sense to put the higher capacity birds on evening flights (departing from BOS) since passengers can make more connections at both ends. Right now the evening/night flights are taking the smaller jets. When I do dummy bookings, its going to be like this for the next year (at least).
Old Dec 28, 2017, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Are we supposed to know where BA238 flies from and to?
TrainDriverSparky likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by Globaliser
From the statement "departing from BOS" I would guess it means its a boston service so I would guess LHR - BOS
Old Dec 28, 2017, 8:07 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Its probably down to availability of aircraft, especially with the publicised 787 engine issues
Old Dec 28, 2017, 8:15 am
Suspended

The route seems to get a fair number of aircraft substitutions. It’s short so may be picked for fewer complaints.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 8:16 am
Suspended

google and flightradar24 are your friends.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 8:18 am

Programs: BA Exec Club Gold, *G, EK Skywards Silver
Originally Posted by a330boston
Until now I've seen mainly 777's and 787's.

I thought it would makes more sense to put the higher capacity birds on evening flights (departing from BOS) since passengers can make more connections at both ends. Right now the evening/night flights are taking the smaller jets. When I do dummy bookings, its going to be like this for the next year (at least).
It often feeds the BA157 to KWI so with the late arrival time of the BA238, it would be inefficient for it not to fly when it gets back to Heathrow. There are very few 744s leaving T5 late at night these days.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:13 am

Programs: AA PP, OZ *G, Hyatt Expl, Marriott Gold, Lots of Ex-statuses
Originally Posted by richardwft

google and flightradar24 are your friends.
Which the OP should've used to clarify in his post instead of making every reader google/flightradar it?
TrainDriverSparky likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:15 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
My bolding:

Originally Posted by Rowyourboat
Which the OP should've used to clarify in his post instead of making every reader google/flightradar it?
Sorry, OT, but I don't think I've seen this verb before: to flightradar
Old Dec 28, 2017, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: **Mucci Diamond Hairbrush** - compared to that nothing else matters (+BA Bronze)
Originally Posted by Rowyourboat
What was wrong with saying "departing from BOS" in the post? I may have that as a regular route and know where that flight combo goes to and from. However BOS makes me think of Boston and nowhere else on the BA route network.

Last edited by Jimmie76; Dec 28, 2017 at 9:55 am
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA PP, OZ *G, Hyatt Expl, Marriott Gold, Lots of Ex-statuses
Originally Posted by Jimmie76
What was wrong with saying "departing from BOS" in the post? I may have that as a regular route and know where that flight combo goes to and from. However BOS makes me think of Boston and nowhere else on the BA route network.
I *personally* was not confused and understood this was a BOS-LHR flight from the post. But Globalizer didn't know from the post and I assume other people didn't either.

Regardless, I was trying to be smart with richardwft who was also trying to be smart :P
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Likely availability of the type in the schedule. Evening departure is certainly popular and well timed for short haul inbound connections.

I've had my BA238 subbed before and they put a Hi-J 747 on it. Aircraft continued as mentioned to KWI. Not much else that leaves with 4 engines after 8pm. With the 787 engine problems, running 747s on short flights in the slack makes sense.
a330boston likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 5:17 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jimmie76
What was wrong with saying "departing from BOS" in the post?..,.
Nothing whatsoever. It’s a frequent flyer forum where many airport codes are generally known.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

I've heard of this magical tool called Google. Just type whatever is in your mind in the search bar and it will give you answers to all the questions you have ever had.
Try it out some time, I'm sure you will love it.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 5:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by World Traveller Fuss
Likely availability of the type in the schedule. Evening departure is certainly popular and well timed for short haul inbound connections.

I've had my BA238 subbed before and they put a Hi-J 747 on it. Aircraft continued as mentioned to KWI. Not much else that leaves with 4 engines after 8pm. With the 787 engine problems, running 747s on short flights in the slack makes sense.
Oh that makes sense. Any word on when the 787s will resume normal operations?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.