Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any rumours for F updates?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2017, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by xenole
I would say my last CX F didn't quite hit my expectations based on previous flights.
Crew were fine although not exceptional.
Some things such as the pralines on a plate now being 2 reasonable chocolates in a box definitely detracted from the overall experience in my opinion.
Could you say more about what you didn't like? I presume it is not just the chocolates? I really like CX F but even then there are things I think that they do better than others. I find their breakfast with freshly prepared choice of eggs much superior to BA's. I like the dinner service (including the caviar service) a lot more than on BA when you get day/evening time departures, but I find their main meal catering underwhelming when you have late 'supper' departures. And I like the 1-2 configuration, bedding, pyjamas, and amenities a lot better than on BA too, but the lack of luggage storage space is a bit annoying. That said, I must say that I did not find any major difference between my last and previous CX F flights.

As for JL F, it is by far my favourite food in the sky as well as, still by far my favourite Champagne and I love the service. I really like the seats but less so than on CX, I am decidedly underwhelmed by the F lounges and the regular wine menu is not that exciting, and the cabin temperature is always quite warm and the pyjamas very nice but very warm too so I typically bring thinner ones like BA or QR to wear instead! That said, I absolutely love the experience despite those flaws especially on daytime flights and especially ex-Tokyo.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 5:21 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Orbitmic, sadly Salon will be gone from JL F soon, to be replaced by Cristal and LR Winston Churchill. There is a thread in the JL section about Salon's demise.

​​While I grump about some aspects of JL F food (my main problem is the visual aspect, a little too wabi/sabi/zen for aircraft use given most people's taste buds dull in flight and visuals play a larger part in enjoyment of food than on the ground), I agree it is very good, although I tend to think their business class food is the real standout (especially the Japanese meal).

I agree about their F lounge. I consider it a bit of an OWE lounge, really. They need a CCR or SQ Private Room equivalent.
​​​​​
BA F food should offer more 'luxurious' options like good caviar (not the poor ones some airlines serve in F) even if it means the fares have to go up to cover it. F should not be that price-sensitive. Even if it's one of the pre-order-only options to reduce wastage.

​​​​​
orbitmic likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2017, 5:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Orbitmic, sadly Salon will be gone from JL F soon, to be replaced by Cristal and LR Winston Churchill. There is a thread in the JL section about Salon's demise.

​​While I grump about some aspects of JL F food (my main problem is the visual aspect, a little too wabi/sabi/zen for aircraft use given most people's taste buds dull in flight and visuals play a larger part in enjoyment of food than on the ground), I agree it is very good, although I tend to think their business class food is the real standout (especially the Japanese meal).

I agree about their F lounge. I consider it a bit of an OWE lounge, really. They need a CCR or SQ Private Room equivalent.
​​​​​
BA F food should offer more 'luxurious' options like good caviar (not the poor ones some airlines serve in F) even if it means the fares have to go up to cover it. F should not be that price-sensitive. Even if it's one of the pre-order-only options to reduce wastage.

​​​​​
I actually prefer the Balik salmon in LX F to caviar
Old Dec 29, 2017, 7:45 pm
bil

Programs: BAEC Gold, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I fully agree with golfmad here - well actually, not fully because I have even experienced surly crews on the likes of QR, MH and more rarely CX. I think possibly the only airlines on which I have found crews almost completely 'equal' are JL and KE.

I must say that the comparisons of surly vs friendly crews never ceases to puzzle me a little anyway. If some HR department has found a way of hiring never grumpy people in every job, I think they should quickly patent their process and sell its use for a hefty price. What's the miraculous recipe here? Do crews from airline x never have an argument with their partner? Do their kids never bring bad marks from school or fight with their little friends? Are they uniquely immune to depression? Are they always paired with their best pals on flight? Do they never pay taxes, get a parking fine, or have their boiler breaking down? Heck, I would like to think of myself as someone who tends to be friendly and pleasant in my professional interactions, yet I have no doubt that there are days when people must think I am a massive a****** and quite understandably so.

Over the years, I would say that I have encountered both my best and my worst crews on AF, and close to my best and close to my worst on BA. Even on KE and JL which I mentioned above, I would almost bet that my impression of 'equality' is due to my inability to pick some of the more subtle shades of mood expressions in Japanese and Korean interaction compared to a native, who might equally find all Americans "nice" without realising that the very same words could be expressed very positively or very negatively by that 'other'.

I suspect that much judgement on good and bad crew is simply steeped in cultural habits and expectations, be they comfort with one's own primary social codes or idealisation of others. For example, many here praise the tendency of many BA crew to 'banter'. My sense is that this is merely (often British) people just being comfortable with a British mode of social interaction. Now if you really like banter, arguably, you get more of it on KLM than on BA, but as it happens, quite a few of my British friends and colleagues find KL crew 'rude' just because the frankness threshold tolerated in Dutch banter is probably quite a lot higher than in British banter. And who has forgotten the time when BA told its crew to pat customers on the shoulders and what not in the 1990s because US passengers used to consider BA crew stiff and unfriendly compared to the very different conception of friendliness that prevails in much of the US society and hospitality industry where calling you 'guys' and checking on how you are doing every 26 1/2 minute is considered good waiting practice? Now of course, conversely, here we read a lot about QR and EK crew being considered 'robotic'. I find that criticism quite absurd myself but suspect it is just related to the same differences in standard modes of interaction. For those who wish QR crew to 'banter' more, try and imagine how well it would be received when a young female cabin crew to 'banter' with a local sheik. As for AF and LX crews, it is worth remembering that France, for example, is a country where restaurant service is considered a profession with its technical skills and training. The whole idea that many US and UK restaurants are staffed by students is just extraordinary to many French or Swiss people for whom those kids would be more suited to work at McDonalds or Starbucks but where no 'decent' restaurant would ever think of putting its reputation in the hands of some unprofessional kids however willing. So yes, many a French or Swiss passenger will look at the way crew pour wine or cut cheese on most foreign crews (that is where cheese is at least cut and wine is at least poured rather than your getting pre-plated stuff) and feel a little ill at ease.

The same goes for the tea and coffee experiences across airlines incidentally. Many Brits will find comfort in the way BA serves its cups of teas whilst most of the rest of the tea drinking world, from Japan to Turkey and from Russia to China will contemplate in horror. Conversely, many a Brit would consider the cup of tea served on Aeroflot where it has happened to me for crew to offer the 3 or 10 sugar that cup is intended to 'take' a vision of horror. And I'm not even starting on coffee here!

Now of course, especially over long haul flights, many crew are very good at picking up passengers' styles and expectations, but this takes time, it takes numbers (you will hardly do that when you have to serve 75 pax in your section) and non-schizophrenic people cannot just be completely different characters with each and everyone of their passenger with different expectations. Meanwhile, there is no shame in feeling more at ease with people who share our own cultural codes, or on the contrary, being delighted and fascinated by something which precisely departs from it, but it is probably important to recognise it for what it is. The whole notion that crew on airline x are much nicer than on airline y tends to say a lot more about the eyes of the beholder than about crew themselves in a vast majority of cases. It incidentally gets quite easy to check on U2 where you can very easily feel the difference between flights flown by EasyJet UK, EasyJet Switzerland, and EasyJet France to name but a few. In the meantime, I suspect that all airlines will continue to have great, horrid and a lot of good crew, and some crew members which are in a better or worse mood (as per another current thread) from one flight to the next.
You couldn't be more right
Old Dec 29, 2017, 8:03 pm

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia

​​​​​

​​​​​
Oh no!!! The Salon will be sorely missed. I fully agree with you regarding caviar. It doesn't need to be much but I think it would be a highly symbolic of BA trying to up their F game. And yes, I do realise not everyone loves caviar, some may prefer foie gras, Balik salmon (for the records, while I find Balik nice, to me it's nowhere near the best salmon - I'd choose a near-white wild Danish salmon over it any day) or even a burger, but it remains that Champagne and caviar remain, for many, the most iconic F foods and I think it would send a strong signal to make this available to those customers who want it.

And yes, good caviar rather than just token caviar. Of course nowadays everything is farmed and it is much harder than it once was to distinguish good and bad stuff (a lot of people now swear by a Chinese farmed caviar, who would have thought). I personally really like the JL one and find the Aquitaine caviar served by AF excellent too though not as much as the former Petrossian "egg" they had till recently. I find the CX one enjoyable thought not great. There are a few very good providers in the UK so surely BA could source something nice at competitive fares if they wanted to.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 1:07 am

Programs: BA Executive Club Gold
I came back from Las Vegas in First on Christmas Day, and can happily report that they have now released the new (second) Liberty men's wash-bag design. No new design for women had been loaded.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 1:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I have had a third ladies design on my last few trips.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 1:19 am

Originally Posted by odge
I came back from Las Vegas in First on Christmas Day, and can happily report that they have now released the new (second) Liberty men's wash-bag design. No new design for women had been loaded.
What is it like?? I've only had the black one so far!
Old Dec 31, 2017, 5:28 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
Does anyone know why BA doesn't just amalgamate F and J and create a super premium class product like QR J which I am sure would be much more welcomed by all travellers?
Old Dec 31, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: BA Gold, Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by icegirl
Does anyone know why BA doesn't just amalgamate F and J and create a super premium class product like QR J which I am sure would be much more welcomed by all travellers?
Because there needs to be a sweetener for the most premium and spend your travellers. Imagine swapping out F on a hi-J 747. The "best" you could be onboard is one of 100 bedsitters onboard.

I see a trend whereby "First" may get amalgamated into J, but some premium / soft / ground services are offered at a premium or to top tier flyers.

Exactly as done on the Eurostar - an unpublished tier, private cabins in Premier only available to top tier customers, and the personal greetings and service of the onboard steward.

We may be a number of years away from that on BA though without total reconfiguration of say the 747 fleet that's staying. But say, Qatar, with the Q Suite product could perhaps have some differentiated service standard. I'd bet a celeb or prince would see an improved onboard service there...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.