Search

Checked bags overnight at LCY

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, A3 Gold, FB Gold, Bonvoy Titanium / LTP, Accor Plat
Checked bags overnight at LCY

Flying GLA-LCY tonight and LCY-AMS tomorrow morning, one ticket.

Bags checked through. Now I don't need the bags and would rather not hang around trying to get them, but this seems to be a new thing - the check-in staff had to double-check, in any case.

(This is my hope, as opposed to they'll be unloaded at LCY anyway and I'll be able to enjoy not collecting them at AMS...)
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:18 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If LCY can hold bags overnight that indeed would be news to me. Up until now I was under the impression that LCY is an exception to the general 24 hour rule, on the basis that LCY hasn't got much storage space. Not that would really apply at this time of year.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
If LCY can hold bags overnight that indeed would be news to me. Up until now I was under the impression that LCY is an exception to the general 24 hour rule, on the basis that LCY hasn't got much storage space. Not that would really apply at this time of year.
My bag tags show them checked through, but I maaay linger in the luggage reclaim just in case...

(And since I've just checked the weather, I'm now wondering nervously whether I should have collected them anyway in case I need to make a quick run to LHR or LGW! Have a Qatar flight on a different ticket at 1515 out of AMS. Phew.)
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:32 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by typical
My bag tags show them checked through, but I maaay linger in the luggage reclaim just in case...
I'm not sure that would prove very much since their process may be to put everything on to the carousels and then to the store if it's left there (a number of airports work like this.....)
Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: BA Gold
I flew through LCY in November, with an overnight connection. Bags were stored at airport overnight and carried on their journey as expected the next day. I was slightly cynical after researching the point here before travelling, so asked before leaving the baggage reclaim hall if the bags would be stored overnight. The staff confirmed that bags would be stored overnight and true to their word, they were. Hope that helps allay any fears.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 1:49 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I'm not sure that would prove very much since their process may be to put everything on to the carousels and then to the store if it's left there (a number of airports work like this.....)
Whilst it is possible, LCY doesn't handle overnight transfers very well.

As the wise CWS has stated, bags for overnight transfers are delivered to the carousel and put in the bag store room. It's then the responsibility of the Arrivals Service agents to arrange the transfer the next day, rather than the baggage handlers. Given they don't start until 06:30, if you're flight is before 07:15, the bag will likely miss the transfer.

Claim and recheck.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci Extraordinaire, Hilton Diamond, BA Gold (ex BD)
It's been a few years now but I had checked through GLA-LCY-JFK overnight and ended up getting a call from LCY baggage handling saying that the bag had been checked through when it shouldn't have been and that I'd have to collect the bag and check it in again in the morning.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

In AMS now. Did it work? ... kinda. Would I do it again? No. Very reflective of CitySlacker's wise words.

Bags came onto carousel at LCY. I sat watching them for a while. BA staff member asked if I needed assistance (or is that Assistance), to which I said no, just wondering if anyone is coming for the bags... and apparently not, she was not happy when she saw they'd been checked through. "They're not supposed to do that! There's nobody here to take them!". Still, she immediately offered to take them through to the store and keep them there. (Would they have been taken after the 10 minutes I waited? Umm. There wasn't anyone obviously there to do so, but I guess they couldn't have left them there all night.)

Check-in this morning, I asked the agent to ensure my bags were there. She called the bag room and "all's fine". Sure enough, off the carousel at AMS they came.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.