Wiki Posts
Search

Taxes more than a ticket

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2017, 8:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold; SPG: Gold:
Taxes more than a ticket

Hi: I have never flown BA but my mother has tons of miles on them. She would like to let my children use them to visit my grandson who will be spending a semester in Amsterdam. When I look for an award ticket the fees are more than purchasing a ticket. Is this really the way it works or is there some way around this? Any suggestions will be appreciated,. Can I use the miles on another airline that goes from NY to Amsterdam?
Old Dec 26, 2017, 9:02 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I presume you are looking at tickets in the World Traveller cabin (economy/coach)? In which case, yes this is the way it works, though it's not a direct correlation, since the cheaper revenue economy tickets are generally inflexible, for example. You may want to have a look at the sticky at the top of the Forum which explains how to make best use of Avios, but only occasionally is World Traveller a good use of them. As for alternatives, in the sticky you may want to look at Aer Lingus as an alternative way of doing this, which would be JFK to DUB, or using Avios for upgrades instead.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Does American Airlines have a direct flight?
Old Dec 26, 2017, 12:32 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Think they do from PHL but the taxes may be similar.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
You can use them on some other airlines. In your case Iberia is the main one, Aer Lingus may work for your routing too. For example you can fly Iberia JFK-MAD-AMS.

AA does fly PHL-AMS, but BA will still charge a large carrier surcharge if you use Avios for this. Iberia surcharges are much smaller.
Old Dec 26, 2017, 10:33 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL CCR, HHonors DIA
Originally Posted by ontheway
Hi: I have never flown BA but my mother has tons of miles on them. She would like to let my children use them to visit my grandson who will be spending a semester in Amsterdam. When I look for an award ticket the fees are more than purchasing a ticket. Is this really the way it works or is there some way around this? Any suggestions will be appreciated,. Can I use the miles on another airline that goes from NY to Amsterdam?
Are these avios points being used over four generations?
trooper and theultimateflyer like this.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:06 am
Original Poster

I desperately want to use these miles and not let them go to waste. If we are unable to use them for Europe I ask this: If we use the miles to fly r/t from New York to Honolulu, do we still have to pay the taxes and surcharges despite flying within the US?
This is the third generation: My mother's grandchild.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 10:53 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I desperately want to use these miles and not let them go to waste. If we are unable to use them for Europe I ask this: If we use the miles to fly r/t from New York to Honolulu, do we still have to pay the taxes and surcharges despite flying within the US?
Yes, you can and the taxes will be low for that. Somewhat better value for money can be had when used for short to medium non stop trips on AA, so hops around the East Coast for example. The other big low cost area for Avios is Asia. Again I'll refer you to the Sticky on how to use Avios for more information.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
This is the third generation: My mother's grandchild.
We had return flights from LAX to LIH in 2016, Total cost was 50000 avios and Ł14.40 for the 2 travellers.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:24 am
Original Poster

I'm sorry, I know I sound totally ignorant, but I've tried to fake book on BA for flights on AA from NY/hnl, It does not come up, I only get a note "we don't fly that route" and "we will only show availability on BA". How does one figure out how to use BA miles on AA regarding availability and costs?
Old Jan 8, 2018, 8:33 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/GFl, HH Diamond, BW Diamond, Virgin Voyages Deep Blue Extra, Blue Peter Badge Holder
You would need to call I think
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:06 am

I'm sorry, I know I sound totally ignorant, but I've tried to fake book on BA for flights on AA from NY/hnl, It does not come up, I only get a note "we don't fly that route" and "we will only show availability on BA". How does one figure out how to use BA miles on AA regarding availability and costs?
Have a look at the stickies at the top of this forum as to how to best use your Avios. But it may be you are selecting a service without a direct AA non stop route. There are a lot of other potential reasons. If you can be more specific in what you are looking for (routes and dates) then I'm sure we can have a delve into the problems and/or come up with ways around it.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:16 am

I can confirm that there is no direct AA flight from NY to HI. You would need to connect via LAX, DFW, SFO or PHX.
Old Jan 8, 2018, 10:18 am

Programs: Ex-BA/AA/CP/LY staff, BA Executive Club Blue, IHG Diamond, Marriott Silver, Chick-fil-A Red
Are you perhaps trying to book from BA.com home page? There's no option to redeem Avios from the home page but if you log into BAEC and go to your account page, there's another new booking search function where you can specify whether you're booking with money or Avios.

Apologies if you were aware of this distinction already; wasn't clear.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.