Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Weather disruption - LHR and perhaps elsewhere - 27 December 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Weather disruption - LHR and perhaps elsewhere - 27 December 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2017, 6:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by johncarter123
Are more cancellations expected?
Welcome to Flyertalk johncarter123, and a particular welcome from all of us here in the BA forum. It's good to get new people join us and I hope that you will continue to contribute here.

I've just checked and so far the pro-active cancellations mentioned in post 1 appears to be sticking, and I can't see any reactive cancellations beyond that. A few delays but nothing too bad. The longhaul fleet running pretty much to schedule. Never say never, but I don't see many more cancellations coming in today. Even the service to Rome, with bad weather at both ends, seems to be OK.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 7:15 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Even the service to Rome, with bad weather at both ends, seems to be OK.
indeed! I’m waiting to collect my luggage at T5!
Old Dec 27, 2017, 1:28 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
I can see a forecast of freezing temperatures after 9 pm tomorrow. Could that impact my SCL flight?

Last edited by ringingup; Dec 27, 2017 at 1:38 pm
Old Dec 27, 2017, 1:36 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by ringingup
I can see a forecast of freeze if temperatures after 9 pm tomorrow. Could that impact my SCL flight?
I would say that is unlikely, through all of this winter so far the longhaul services have been kept pretty much to schedule. It may add perhaps a 20 minutes delay departing, but on such a long flight it may not be something that makes a lot of difference.
ringingup and ahmetdouas like this.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carlson Gold, Hilton Gold, Priority Club Platinum, Best Western Diamond
Don’t think it is weather related but the BA2215from GLA is diverting to SEN. Decided to get rebooked onto the LGW flight tomorrow as I didn’t want to end up in Southend around midnight.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I don't know whether this is relevant, but FLR has a particularly short single runway, 1750 metres, compared to Pisa next door with 2800 metres and 3000 metres. I know they have to sometimes either leave baggage behind and/or restrict passenger numbers to operate certain flights. Now I would have thought Embraers would be OK but there again they can't fill Embraers on the LCY-JSI service, and JSI is 1628 metres.
That combined with high ground in the missed approach area for rwy 05 often cause landing weight restrictions,especially in bad weather.It is a rather difficult airport.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 4:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by Chris9642
Looks like there is a winter storm brewing for the East Coast USA as we head into NY weekend - I wonder if that will cause disruption ? I have a flight to New York on Friday so I’m hoping not !
Where are you seeing this ? Weather.com has JFK as cloudy then sunny through Jan 2nd... no precipitation forecast until Jan 4th.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by BAAZ
BA3279 LCY to FLR - wife currently at the gate being offered £220 to be taken to LGW and put on a later flight that lands this evening. Apparently they can't operate with a full aircraft because of winds in FLR. (Yesterday's flight was diverted to Elba which, being an island, is an interesting choice of airport to divert to...).
Wow. I always get annoyed when it diverts to Pisa but Elba would have been really annoying! However I'm guessing there was a typo and someone put in LIRJ for the airport code (i.e. Elba) rather than LIRP (i.e. Pisa) as if the plane wasn't able to land in Florence then Elba sounds like it would have been a very bad mistake as the runway is a little bit too short!
Old Dec 27, 2017, 6:56 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Anyone know why BA99 was delayed 5.5 hours today? More issues with the 789? Should be a rude arrival for the passengers at 00:45 local time with the temperature at -22C here in Toronto.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.