Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Why can't I check in online? OLCI and boarding pass difficulties

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
This thread is dedicated to explaining some of the reasons why OLCI (Online Check-in) doesn't work on British Airways' website BA.com and / or its App software. The first post give the main reasons, and subsequent posts give more background. By all means reach out in this thread if you are still unsure. If you are new to the BA Forum - perhaps Google brought you here - have a look in the forum's stickies and Dashboard for more reference material.

Note that there is a HTML typo in the first link of the first thread. Try this instead: https://classic.checkmytrip.com/plne...&SITE=XCMTXXNS
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Why can't I check in online? OLCI and boarding pass difficulties

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28, 2018, 3:21 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This sort of thing has always been a bit finicky, but I wouldn't be too concerned. Firstly see if the TFS agent can sort it out, secondly on arrival in MAD you will find plenty of Iberia help desks airside, and I would hope they can resolve this. Is this BA metal, BA coded, BA operated for MAD-LHR? And was it sold as TFS-MAD-LHR or separately?
Airside Iberia staff wrote out boarding passes by hand to get us through passport control and collect printed boarding passes at the gate. Almost everything went against us time-wise - TFS flight was 20 minute late, 30 minute wait to be seen at Iberia desk, longer than expected dash to the T4 satellite terminal etc. but we made it with seconds to spare. I think we would have missed the flight if I had taken BAs original advice to return to the main terminal (land side) and collect the passes there. Thank you for creating this thread and to all those who have shared their experiences.
Old Nov 2, 2018, 7:06 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Eticket number has disappeared for one segment only

Booked GRX-MAD-LHR as a single ticket on ib.com some time ago, got an eticket receipt from Iberia same day (why can't Ba manage that?) and all fine in mmb. Go to check in for flight tomorrow and get advised by ib.com that online checkin not possible - look in mmb again and now the grx-mad segment has no eticket number against it. The Mad-lhr leg still has the 075 ticket against it. Travelling with family and slightly concerned- anything I can do beyond getting to grx early tomorrow?

[and echoing luckyjim above, why does this only happen when travelling with family??]

Last edited by Stewie Mac; Nov 2, 2018 at 7:16 am
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: BA GGL
Hi,

I have a booking LHR-LAX tomorrow, Avios redemption with a GUF applied. I can check in and get boarding pass. My companion can check in but not get a boarding pass. ESTA is all in order, although I assume that would prevent check-in anyway?

Looking at the guidance upthread, it seems to me this is probably SSSS. Does that seem most likely, or anything more problematic I've missed?

Many thanks
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:36 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by woglet86
Looking at the guidance upthread, it seems to me this is probably SSSS. Does that seem most likely, or anything more problematic I've missed?
Yes. As I was reading your description I was thinking "this is SSSS". It is specifically failure to extract a boarding pass that is the clue, you can get "checked in" status, which is important in terms of Ready to Fly timings at T5. Nothing much to worry about, in some ways it is the most pleasant aspect of the security protocols.
woglet86 likes this.
Old Dec 31, 2018, 11:57 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I would agree with this. I had exactly the same situation on Saturday when flying home to Las Vegas. I was able to check in successfully for both the NCL - LHR sector and LHR - LAS but could not print or otherwise obtain my BP. When looking at ba.com it specifically said that boarding pass printing was unavailable. When I was issued my BP at NCL it had SSSS on it.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:35 pm

Programs: BA GGL
Yes. As I was reading your description I was thinking "this is SSSS". It is specifically failure to extract a boarding pass that is the clue, you can get "checked in" status, which is important in terms of Ready to Fly timings at T5. Nothing much to worry about, in some ways it is the most pleasant aspect of the security protocols.
To follow up, as expected it was SSSS and nothing too painful.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 7:50 am

Anyone else experienced problems today? I'm stuck in a continuous loop between stage 1 and 2 of OLCI. Its asking me to input advance passenger details, then on the page listing them shows them all as already complete, before the next click to continue OLCI sends me back to the very beginning.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 9:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by 1010101
Anyone else experienced problems today? I'm stuck in a continuous loop between stage 1 and 2 of OLCI. Its asking me to input advance passenger details, then on the page listing them shows them all as already complete, before the next click to continue OLCI sends me back to the very beginning.
I think the usual advice here is after getting the API is OK message, switch over to the App (or to the desktop version if you started on the App) and check-in at this point. The other thing you could try is log out and then when still logged out try OLCI with just PNR and surname. It's not OLCI that's gone wrong here, it's the API loop which is a well known feature.
1010101 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 1:40 pm

OLCI experience and being put on standby

We were travelling TPA-LGW on New Year’s Day. 5 of us in 3 bookings with a sole (non status) passenger on their own seperate booking.

4 of us (with status) had pre-selected seats, then about 2 days before travel all seats showed full and wouldn’t allow pre-selection (even if willing to pay).

At T-24 tried to online check-in the sole traveller and got the not possible please try at the airport message. Rest of us checked on online no-problem.

We got to the airport early (at check in opening) and presented the whole party together. Check in agent looked at booking for sole traveller and said he is on standby. Thankfully she then went around to the back offfice and came back with a boarding pass.

So from this experience it seems like they had pre-selected who they wanted to bump (single travellers that hadn’t paid for a seat). If we had not have arrived together so early I imagine that they would have tried to bump him.
george77300 likes this.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by travellingowl
So from this experience it seems like they had pre-selected who they wanted to bump (single travellers that hadn’t paid for a seat). If we had not have arrived together so early I imagine that they would have tried to bump him.
Yes, I strongly suspect that too, had you arrived later then I suspect he would not have been flying on the same aircraft as the rest of your group. In a way that's no secret and that features in some of the IDB threads: offloads overwhelmingly come from those without seats, and those with status, even Bronze, will typrically have specific seats reserved (unless booked during that 2 day period you mentioned.....) and pre-paying for a seat goes a long way too. The only thing to add, though, is that for example if another family group couldn't travel (e.g, a kid goes sick) and thus rebooks during OLCI, then all of a sudden seats become available. And no-shows come from all sorts of other factors, so seats can and do become available 1 hour from departure. However TPA is a family annual holiday resort more than most, so plans typically don't change.

Incidentally if he had an onward connection, particularly if it involved another airline such as Loganair or Aer Lingus, then that would have saved him, they are loathed to IDB people with on carriage bookings due to the ticketing complexities at the TPA end.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 2:46 pm

Yes, I strongly suspect that too, had you arrived later then I suspect he would not have been flying on the same aircraft as the rest of your group. In a way that's no secret and that features in some of the IDB threads: offloads overwhelmingly come from those without seats, and those with status, even Bronze, will typrically have specific seats reserved (unless booked during that 2 day period you mentioned.....) and pre-paying for a seat goes a long way too. The only thing to add, though, is that for example if another family group couldn't travel (e.g, a kid goes sick) and thus rebooks during OLCI, then all of a sudden seats become available. And no-shows come from all sorts of other factors, so seats can and do become available 1 hour from departure. However TPA is a family annual holiday resort more than most, so plans typically don't change.

Incidentally if he had an onward connection, particularly if it involved another airline such as Loganair or Aer Lingus, then that would have saved him, they are loathed to IDB people with on carriage bookings due to the ticketing complexities at the TPA end.
There was no onward connection so would have made it easy to bump him. Given that he is in his late 70s and was travelling with us and arrived early they found him a seat right away. They did call him to the gate at the last minute (which made me a bit nervous) but that was just to swap him to another seat.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:24 pm

Hi, I just tried to check in for BA33 tomorrow (01/03/19) LHR - KUL and I'm getting the message 'Sorry, we can’t check you in for this flight. Please go to the airport check-in desk'. This is a redemption flight originally booked in J but later upgraded to F.

I tried calling BA contact centre and was advised it wasn't an issue and to proceed normally to airport. This is part of a special holiday for wife and I and I'd like some reassurance that it's going to be ok? I tried the Amadeus link but it failed to retrieve a booking.

Help!!!

Thanks
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:43 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beergander
Hi, I just tried to check in for BA33 tomorrow (01/03/19) LHR - KUL and I'm getting the message 'Sorry, we can’t check you in for this flight. Please go to the airport check-in desk'. This is a redemption flight originally booked in J but later upgraded to F.

I tried calling BA contact centre and was advised it wasn't an issue and to proceed normally to airport. This is part of a special holiday for wife and I and I'd like some reassurance that it's going to be ok? I tried the Amadeus link but it failed to retrieve a booking.
Apologies for asking a silly question, but have you got a ticket number? I'm assuming the Contact Centre checked that first, but it's not clear from your post. And my other silly question is whether your passport on the API section has 6 months spare?

Otherwise it looks ok to me, there is one empty seat in First, and I presume you had seats allocated on the booking? In the absence of these questions (and anything else odd such as connecting flights, non UK passports and so on) then I suspect it may be due to the Pakistan problem having knock on effects on your flight's preparations.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:48 pm

CWS, thanks for prompt response. My bookings shows no ticket number but the agent was able to read one out to me. My passport has several year left and yes we were allocated seats at time of booking.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Beergander
My bookings shows no ticket number but the agent was able to read one out to me. .
That raises my eyebrows - I presume you are looking at the App and there is just a blank line under "Aircraft Type"? If so I would just ring again tomorrow morning as ask "do I need my tickets revalidated or reissued?"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.