Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Why can't I check in online? OLCI and boarding pass difficulties

Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
This thread is dedicated to explaining some of the reasons why OLCI (Online Check-in) doesn't work on British Airways' website BA.com and / or its App software. The first post give the main reasons, and subsequent posts give more background. By all means reach out in this thread if you are still unsure. If you are new to the BA Forum - perhaps Google brought you here - have a look in the forum's stickies and Dashboard for more reference material.

Note that there is a HTML typo in the first link of the first thread. Try this instead: https://classic.checkmytrip.com/plne...&SITE=XCMTXXNS
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Why can't I check in online? OLCI and boarding pass difficulties

Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Why should a simple 5 minute security check cause stress and worry? It is rather painless, certainly if you have nothing to hide.
It has nothing to do with people having something or nothing to hide.

It is because airport security is challenging enough for a lot of people and the thought of having to go through it twice could upset some people.

The point I am making is that there are many reasons why people can't do OLCI and that it is wrong for some posters on here just to go with the 'SSSS' reason as a default position.
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: BA EC
Last week i booked on MUC-LHR-BRU and return in club europe. All 4 sectors cannot be OLCI and not able to issue an e boarding pass on iphone app.
The app suggested a check of visa requirement is required at the airport. In the checkin counter, the agent said no problem with my booking.
Yet, during transit in LHR, I could not go through the automatic check in the flight connection. The agent said there was something wrong with my passport status.
And she said my passport did not match my residential address. The nice lady tried a few times to correct the information in the system but failed.
She finally just clicked "checked" without amending any information gave a pass.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 2:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
Data point - unable to check in yesterday for F on 2-4-1 today to LAS. Unsurprisingly companion has SSSS
Old Dec 27, 2017, 3:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HHonors Gold, ALL Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Interesting (?) variation on reticketing. Family (4pax) avios booking for yesterday evening, LCY-GVA; amended last week to remove the two children. At T-24 I couldn't OLCI. Called the contact centre, who said the tickets were fine—unsurprisingly, since there were no changes to the remaining pax' travel. Was advised it was a random procedure and all would be well at the airport. Nonetheless, at some point on the day of travel, the redeposit of the kids' avios went through, and I could OLCI.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 4:46 am

To add my own experience when using our first F redemption on a 2-4-1. We had issues and couldn't complete OLCI due to a ticket change on the booking.

Originally booked F out and back to BOS. The outward aircraft was changed some 2 weeks prior to flying and our booking was changed by BA from the F to a J on the same flight number. After getting the notification and ringing BA we managed to change flights and take a later flight out, keeping our booking on an F redemption.

The original flight was not correctly removed from our booking. Although it wasn't visible in MMB, I still got BA APP notifications for it. But it meant that at T-24 we got the "proceed to the airport" message for the new flight. Having made a few phone calls the IT issue with the old booking was established but try as they may, we could check in but didn't get a BP. At the First Wing the next morning the check-in agent couldn't print our BP or check our luggage in. It was only when the BA APP alerted me to proceed to the gate (for the flight we had originally been on) that the agent realised what the problem was and knew how to override it.

In essence, there are gremlins in the system that may be totally innocent that prevent you doing OLCI. When you're on a 2-4-1 it makes you twitchy. But for us, it was nothing more than slight inconvenience and was purely down to IT and the agent who should have removed the original booking but hadn't done so properly.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 4:52 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by marshy11
.In essence, there are gremlins in the system that may be totally innocent that prevent you doing OLCI. When you're on a 2-4-1 it makes you twitchy. But for us, it was nothing more than slight inconvenience and was purely down to IT and the agent who should have removed the original booking but hadn't done so properly.
Thanks for that, yes I had heard of the "lingering segment" problem before. Out of interest, did you try the checkmytrip link before getting to the airport? I would be interested in knowing whether it showed the issue.
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Thanks for that, yes I had heard of the "lingering segment" problem before. Out of interest, did you try the checkmytrip link before getting to the airport? I would be interested in knowing whether it showed the issue.
This sounds very similar to what I'm describing in my "Two tickets..." thread. Classic CMT hints at a snag, but it takes Globaliser's Amadeus link to see the underlying situation.

Last edited by EsherFlyer; Dec 28, 2017 at 11:32 am
Old Dec 28, 2017, 11:58 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Think I’ve completed OLCI but won’t allow me to get a mobile BP or self print. APIS checked and double checked. No changes to the flights. Valid e-ticket. Assuming it may be something to do with a physical check of my Russian visa but in the past I have always been able to get a mobile BP. Gremlins in the system or something else???

S

​​​​​​​
Old Dec 28, 2017, 12:04 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Thanks for that, I've made some changes upthread in the light of recent postings.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 7:47 am

Yes, having been glued to Flyertalk in the weeks before we went, I checked the checkmytrip link and the new flight was correctly ticketed. It seems to be connected tot he lingering shadow of the old flight that caused the issue. I didn't think to check that one but it would have been interesting to see if it was still ticketed - could that be possible?
Old Dec 30, 2017, 8:26 am

It is important for OLCI to work when travelling to the US, that you maintain the correct passport and visa details in your profile for what appears as simple thing such as your first name and surname. In a recent trip to the US, I was travelling with a new passport so OLCI failed to work. When I checked in at the counter, the airport staff said she would correct the details, to enable OLCI to work going forward. But unbeknownst to me, she actually made it worse!

My passport name says AAA BBB CCC where AAA is surname, BBB is first name and CCC is second name. But instead of putting these names correctly into the system, the airport staff keyed in first name as AAA BBB CCC, and surname as AAA - which caused me immense problem on arrival at the US because the system couldn't reconcile between the airline's records and their own system. In fact the computer at arrival immigration was apparently put through immense strain that a minor system shutdown ensued, triggering a reboot and a long time spent clearing immigration.

Moral of story - maintain your own details in ba.com - don't rely on anyone else to do it!

Last edited by carrotjuice; Dec 31, 2017 at 12:17 am
Old Dec 30, 2017, 12:55 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold
My most recent occurrence of this was due to an emergency trip for my Wife (BA Silver) that I over-complicated. IAD-LHR round-trip, WT outbound, WTP return. This was booked just three days before departure, so couldn't book with Avios. Tried to UUA at booking and failed.
On the next day (just over 48 hours prior to departure) I was able to upgrade the outbound. Then OLCI said we couldn't check in. I hoped this was due to an upgrade, but thought it might be secret-squirrel (SSSS) so insisted on getting to the airport early.
The cause of the issue is that BA had not ticketed the upgraded flight. Ticket counter was most unhelpful, basically gave me a phone number to call so I could sort it out. With Mrs. G glaring at me the whole time.. Once ticketed, no further issues.
Now having read post 1, items 1 and 2 clearly apply here.
Old Dec 30, 2017, 5:57 pm

Programs: BA Gold
OK, here is a starter for ten, or rather nine.

Can we get our collective minds on improving the first post please? So anything I've overlooked? I'll amend the first post and add a wiki, then the rest of this thread can help people out should post 1 not resolve the issue.
my own issue of husbands passport having less than 3/6 months on comes to mind. OLCI Gave same message as recent poster travelling tomorrow has found - I hope for his sake he doesn’t have the same issue we had as I can’t see that being resolved on a sunday morning.
Passport Expiry Mess up ... any chance of getting around?

Last edited by CaroFos; Dec 30, 2017 at 6:20 pm Reason: adding info
Old Dec 31, 2017, 2:52 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CaroFos
my own issue of husbands passport having less than 3/6 months on comes to mind. OLCI Gave same message as recent poster travelling tomorrow has found - I hope for his sake he doesn’t have the same issue we had as I can’t see that being resolved on a sunday morning.
Thanks, that case seems to have been his/her wife's renewed passport not being updated in the API and / or child related issues. I've amended the first post.
Old Dec 31, 2017, 4:07 am

Programs: AA, DL, TK
I seem to consistently get a message during OLCI to the effect of "your passport must be checked at the airport" even after indicating that I wish to collect BPs at the airport and even though all API is correctly entered and acknowledged on BA.com to be complete. In addition, any seat changes made during the check-in process do not appear in MMB, although when collecting BPs at the airport, the new assignments are in place. A final wrinkle is that while BA.com shows "Check-in in progress", I get the confirmation e-mail indicating that I am in fact checked in!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.