Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Why can't I check in online? OLCI and boarding pass difficulties

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
This thread is dedicated to explaining some of the reasons why OLCI (Online Check-in) doesn't work on British Airways' website BA.com and / or its App software. The first post give the main reasons, and subsequent posts give more background. By all means reach out in this thread if you are still unsure. If you are new to the BA Forum - perhaps Google brought you here - have a look in the forum's stickies and Dashboard for more reference material.

Note that there is a HTML typo in the first link of the first thread. Try this instead: https://classic.checkmytrip.com/plne...&SITE=XCMTXXNS
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Why can't I check in online? OLCI and boarding pass difficulties

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2018, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
I had an interesting OLCI issue recently which I will recount in case it helps anyone else:

Background: I have an OTP-LHR-HEL...-PHX ticket, so a somewhat complex ticket with several carriers and codeshares issued by BA on BA ticket stock (ticket 125-...). To add to the complexity, one flight is an AY code on a BA flight, so I have two BA record locators for the same itinerary. This seriously confuses MMB. In case it's relevant, my BA account is also locked at the moment while some fraud is investigated, so I had to check in using the booking reference and passenger name rather than by finding it in my list of upcoming flights after logging in to BA.com.

The symptoms were that when I tried to check in using the BA website, I had a message to enter Advance Passenger Information. This did not surprise me, because this booking is not manageable with MMB (even when my account is not locked) so I haven't been able to enter API. I entered API for both passengers, clicked the submit/continue button, had an interstitial page, a refresh to the same interstitial page, and then I was back at a need to "Enter API".

I tried using the (Android) app with the booking reference and ticket number and this gave a different message that it needed the ticket number and I should contact BA if refreshing the app did not work. Unsurprisingly, refreshing the app changed nothing.

This sort of thing might make me think the ticket had changes, especially since AA are involved, but the agent on the Gold phone line was quite mystified. She could find nothing wrong with the ticket or the booking.

She suggested that she enter the API, so I dictated the information down the phone and she entered it. This mostly worked, she clearly got some anomalous messages but saved the information into the record.

I then went back to BA.com and was able to check in, although I was not offered any option to download the boarding pass but only the option to collect it at the airport. I'm assuming I can get it at LHR (or my B2B in OTP is toast).

So if you see the same situation, I suggest calling BA and asking them to enter the API and see if that helps. Some distinguishing features are: ticket does NOT need re-issuing or revalidation, itinerary involves the USA and is not straightforward, and BA.com appears to refresh the interstitial ("waiting...." spinner) twice before going back to the previous step to enter API.
Old Jul 22, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
BA sometimes appears like the old comment,"left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing". Especially when its IT interacts with real customers.

Where did that old comment "left hand.....etc" COME FROM?
Old Jul 29, 2018, 8:31 am

Thanks for this really helpful wiki.

Trying to decipher my own OLCI problems currently. Flying LHR-ACC tomorrow, was booked in WTP but app and MMB are showing that I have been upgraded to CW (ExpertFlyer showing W1 and 0 for E and everything downwards - so not surprised by an op-up.) Seat has been allocated, ticket number still showing on the app, all APIs present and correct. But OLCI not working.

Is it simply the op-up that's causing the glitch? And should I be spending time on the phone (to BAEC or my TA) this afternoon to check I'm still properly ticketed?

(Another theory - not covered in the wiki but I think addressed elsewhere in the forum - is that I've just re-qualified for gold so might have a "message from BAEC" at check-in. Would this affect OLCI?)
Old Jul 29, 2018, 9:31 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by jk156
Is it simply the op-up that's causing the glitch? And should I be spending time on the phone (to BAEC or my TA) this afternoon to check I'm still properly ticketed?

(Another theory - not covered in the wiki but I think addressed elsewhere in the forum - is that I've just re-qualified for gold so might have a "message from BAEC" at check-in. Would this affect OLCI?)
Well both scenarios are possible. I generally find that by fiddling around with MMB, refreshing caches on the App, using the Manage My Booking tab on the App flight details then eventually I can extract an upgrade boarding pass somehow or other. That route is well known for sweeping almost everyone from WTP into CW day after day. Though people should ring up if they have doubts, personally in this scenario I wouldn't bother.
Old Jul 29, 2018, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Well both scenarios are possible. I generally find that by fiddling around with MMB, refreshing caches on the App, using the Manage My Booking tab on the App flight details then eventually I can extract an upgrade boarding pass somehow or other. That route is well known for sweeping almost everyone from WTP into CW day after day. Though people should ring up if they have doubts, personally in this scenario I wouldn't bother.
Thanks CWS - really helpful.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:49 am

Mrs Mikey and I will be flying EDI-LGW-LAS tomorrow and I've done the online check in. I can print off all of the boarding passes except mine for LGW-LAS.

The reason given is....

You are checked in for your flight…

…but it is not possible for you to print your boarding pass online. Please collect it from one of our check-in kiosks at the airport.
If kiosks are not available, please see one of our staff at a British Airways Check-in desk at the airport to collect your boarding pass.

Any idea why that would be? And can I just have it printed at Edinburgh airport?

Thanks.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 3:57 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Mikey07
Mrs Mikey and I will be flying EDI-LGW-LAS tomorrow and I've done the online check in. I can print off all of the boarding passes except mine for LGW-LAS.

The reason given is....

You are checked in for your flight…

…but it is not possible for you to print your boarding pass online. Please collect it from one of our check-in kiosks at the airport.
If kiosks are not available, please see one of our staff at a British Airways Check-in desk at the airport to collect your boarding pass.

Any idea why that would be? And can I just have it printed at Edinburgh airport?

Thanks.

it will be because you have SSSS, so extra security at the gate at LGW before boarding. EDI should be able
to print your bp.
aidy likes this.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 4:39 am

Originally Posted by KARFA

it will be because you have SSSS, so extra security at the gate at LGW before boarding. EDI should be able
to print your bp.
Righto, thanks. I wonder if it's because of my ESTA. When we apply I'm always left waiting a few hours for it to be approved whereas Mrs Mikey's is approved right away. I've always thought that there's a dodgy punter out there with the same name as me!
Old Jul 30, 2018, 5:37 am

Righto, thanks. I wonder if it's because of my ESTA. When we apply I'm always left waiting a few hours for it to be approved whereas Mrs Mikey's is approved right away. I've always thought that there's a dodgy punter out there with the same name as me!
No probably not. Quite a number of passengers on flights to the US get selected now, i think around 25%. If your wife hasn't got it you may wish to hand her your carry on bags to make the process quicker.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
No probably not. Quite a number of passengers on flights to the US get selected now, i think around 25%. If your wife hasn't got it you may wish to hand her your carry on bags to make the process quicker.
Will do, thanks. So does this check take place at the gate as were boarding then? Other than that we should get through earlier security checks as normal?
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:08 am

Will do, thanks. So does this check take place at the gate as were boarding then? Other than that we should get through earlier security checks as normal?
Yes, so main security will be as normal and this extra security will be at the gate and done during boarding.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
Immediately prior to your SSSS get SWMBO to carry everything, including bag, phone and etc., other than your passport. It reduces the time taken.
And don't forget, SSSS normally allows you to "board" before Group 1.
Old Jul 30, 2018, 9:17 am

That's great, thanks for your help folks, much appreciated.
Old Jul 31, 2018, 3:11 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver
My wife's US Visa (10 yr duration expiring in 2023) is in her expired passport but the visa is sill valid and she uses it. Obviously her new passport has a different number from the one expired and containing her US Visa. We fly 2 to 3 times a year to the US by BA and every time we have problems checking her online on the LON-US flight, presumably due to the different passport numbers appearing: one in her US Visa and the one in her new passport which is fed into the passenger APIS on BA system.

Since the passport number appearing is her US Visa is different from her current passport, the BA system rejects the check in. Tried changing the passport number in the APIS but this did not help.

Not a big problem at the airport where BA staff resolves the issue within minutes, but is there a way getting round this problem while checking on line?
Old Aug 3, 2018, 2:43 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
This reason for unavailable OLCI was very unexpected...

I guess it really is depending from the fact that it's a long "one way" sequence (BRU-LHR-PHL-PHX-BOS-JFK-HEL-LHR-OTP) and it's not related to ticket issues or something like that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.