Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Why can't I check in online? OLCI and boarding pass difficulties

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
This thread is dedicated to explaining some of the reasons why OLCI (Online Check-in) doesn't work on British Airways' website BA.com and / or its App software. The first post give the main reasons, and subsequent posts give more background. By all means reach out in this thread if you are still unsure. If you are new to the BA Forum - perhaps Google brought you here - have a look in the forum's stickies and Dashboard for more reference material.

Note that there is a HTML typo in the first link of the first thread. Try this instead: https://classic.checkmytrip.com/plne...&SITE=XCMTXXNS
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Why can't I check in online? OLCI and boarding pass difficulties

Search this Thread

Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:30 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, BAEC Gold
It should have automatically assigned you a seat when you booked in F
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:34 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
F isn't overbooked tomorrow - but it is Full. There's seats in all other classes available.

Which of you earned the 241?

Programs: BA Exec Gold
Originally Posted by madfish
What seat did you and your partner choose?
Wife is in 4F and I had provisionally selected 4E - interesting that is blocked, hopefully for me! I wonder what other reason there is for not allowing me to check in online?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 5:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
I would never speculate about an inability to check in. Always call.

There are many reasons why check in is not possible and most are benign and can be dealt with in a few seconds at the airport. But, some are not benign and either signal a problem with the ticket, reservation or both. Whether that will take 5 minutes or 50 minutes and thus determining how much earlier than usual to travel is hard to determine and few want to waste time.

A call from home or office with the phone muted and on speaker while one waits allows for both peace of mind and multi-tasking. In those instances where something is amiss, it also means having it fixed.
Anonba and madfish like this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by windowontheAside
Which of you earned the 241?
I earned the 241.

Just rang - no error with the booking they can see and seat 4E is still allocated to me. Just suggested getting to the airport early. Fingers crossed! I'll update tomorrow at LHR for the record - thanks for all the help.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:20 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Jamieharvey

Wife is in 4F and I had provisionally selected 4E - interesting that is blocked, hopefully for me! I wonder what other reason there is for not allowing me to check in online?
Could be a number of reasons from something as simple as an API issue but I wouldn't be overly worried and try OLCI again later perhaps? New passport number? but I'm not saying that is the cause of course.This thread is useful for reference fyi.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ficulties.html
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:29 am

Originally Posted by Often1
I would never speculate about an inability to check in. Always call.

There are many reasons why check in is not possible and most are benign and can be dealt with in a few seconds at the airport. But, some are not benign and either signal a problem with the ticket, reservation or both. Whether that will take 5 minutes or 50 minutes and thus determining how much earlier than usual to travel is hard to determine and few want to waste time.

A call from home or office with the phone muted and on speaker while one waits allows for both peace of mind and multi-tasking. In those instances where something is amiss, it also means having it fixed.
Indeed this would always be my advice. A phone call may pickup an unnoticed issue that would be harder to try and solve on the day at the airport.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 7:34 am

Programs: Marriott lifetime Titanium, Delta Platinum
At any point since you originally booked, did you change (upgrade) reservation from business to first?
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:47 am

Originally Posted by ohmark
At any point since you originally booked, did you change (upgrade) reservation from business to first?
Originally Posted by PETER01
Could be a number of reasons from something as simple as an API issue but I wouldn't be overly worried and try OLCI again later perhaps? New passport number? but I'm not saying that is the cause of course.This thread is useful for reference fyi.
Booking was made about 3 months ago, and no changes have been made since then (to passport or any other API details). All those details were loaded at the time of booking.
PETER01 likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: BA Silver, ZSL Silver
Looks like 1A is available and 4E is blocked. Still F0 A0.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 2:57 am

Turns out to be a broken seat. Moved to 4K so no dramas. It was fully booked (14/14) so I guess either a no-show or someone else was unlucky. Thanks for all the advice yesterday. J
Old Jul 4, 2018, 3:14 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
I wasn't able to check-in online on the app or ba.com (checkin is unavailable - why?). I had a ticket number and it was a simple booking.
Got to the checkin desk to be told that checkin was blocked so make me visit a checkin desk to get a message from the BA Exec Club. It wasn't even a useful message !
Old Jul 4, 2018, 3:40 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by ThatT1Feeling
I wasn't able to check-in online on the app or ba.com (checkin is unavailable - why?). I had a ticket number and it was a simple booking.
Got to the checkin desk to be told that checkin was blocked so make me visit a checkin desk to get a message from the BA Exec Club. It wasn't even a useful message !
Now I'm intrigued as to what the message could be that would stop you being able to complete online check in. As you say, wasn't even useful.
Old Jul 4, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: BA GGL / GFL, Mucci Diamond!, HH Diamond, Radisson Premium, IHG Gold, Hertz Gold
Well it really wasn't anything important - not related to my flight at all - just welcoming me to my GGL renewal and confirming that BA values me as an important customer. The lovely checkin lady was a bit bemused as well - her colleague also said she had seen customers who were worried about their booking status, also to find it was a message from BAEC holding up checkin We all had a good chuckle about it and I was on my way. Despite apparently being an apparently important customer, I still didn't get a free cup of tea on the plane, or even a visit from the CSM... I guess importance only stretches so far

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.