Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Why can't I check in online? OLCI and boarding pass difficulties

Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
This thread is dedicated to explaining some of the reasons why OLCI (Online Check-in) doesn't work on British Airways' website BA.com and / or its App software. The first post give the main reasons, and subsequent posts give more background. By all means reach out in this thread if you are still unsure. If you are new to the BA Forum - perhaps Google brought you here - have a look in the forum's stickies and Dashboard for more reference material.

Note that there is a HTML typo in the first link of the first thread. Try this instead: https://classic.checkmytrip.com/plne...&SITE=XCMTXXNS
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Why can't I check in online? OLCI and boarding pass difficulties

Old Aug 17, 2022, 1:45 pm

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
Challenges trying to do Night Before Checkin at the First Wing this evening leaving us to walk back to the Sofitel with our bags. Flights are a combo of BA, IB and AA to Toronto and the agent simply couldn’t manage to get us checked in past MAD. Here’s hoping it all works out in the morning once the last flight is past T-24 and we don’t end up in a quagmire of incompetence and inability to get the document checks done.
Old Aug 17, 2022, 1:55 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Well, with almost all of Europe on Amadeus, you've managed to have a booking hosted on Amadeus-Altéa, Resiber and SABRE. So yes, it doesn't surprise me that you are only checked to MAD. Shouldn't take long to get checked in at MAD and I'm guessing they could check baggage through?
Old Aug 17, 2022, 2:07 pm

Programs: QF WP, AC*G
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Well, with almost all of Europe on Amadeus, you've managed to have a booking hosted on Amadeus-Altéa, Resiber and SABRE. So yes, it doesn't surprise me that you are only checked to MAD. Shouldn't take long to get checked in at MAD and I'm guessing they could check baggage through?
No luck on the bags. The agent was giving us a “computer says no” though I suspect she just wanted to go home as she upped and left before we got away from the counter. Not bothered at all about getting onwards boarding passes at MAD as long as the bags go through in the morning.
Percy Pig likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 4:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Frequent Flyer
Hello,

This is not so much a "I can't check in" question but a "where do I check in" one and apologies for a real rookie question.
I'm on my first code share, member of BA Exec Club, booked via AA but travelling: DUS - LHR (overnight connection), then LHR - JFK (both flights on BA) and the final flight JFK - SFO (on AA).

I am aware that Verifly won't work and that I most likely won't be able to completely check in online, however, do I check in via the AA website / app or via BA? I have the AA app and have access to the flights via the booking reference but the flights are also shown in my BA profile (albeit with AA flight number).

There is no AA desk at DUS, so I will have to see the BA check-in desk at DUS to get my documents verified, which makes me think that I should check in via the BA website.

I usually fly point-to-point on the carrier I booked with and haven't done this before, so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks so much!
Old Aug 19, 2022, 4:30 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Yes, for codeshares or not codeshares, same advice always applies, globally: you check in and do clearance with whatever metal you are about to clamber on. So at DUS and LHR this is a BA operator, at JFK you go over to AA.

For VeriFLY etc, you need the BA PNR, not the AA PNR. Hopefully you have that, AA can communicate this via Twitter if necessary. You should be able to use VeriFLY in the PNR mode to enter in your details for the London-New York service, which is the one that matters. Because of this mixed ticket I wouldn't worry about the onward flight, you can sort that out in LHR. There is a high chance that OLCI won't work, so as you indicate, go to BA at DUS and I'm sure it will take very little time to sort out your flights.
Inselhuepfer likes this.
Old Aug 19, 2022, 4:44 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Frequent Flyer
Thank you very much for the advice, CWS, you're a fount of knowledge, as always! I will remember this for the future.

I have the BA PNR and it's good to know that I can do Verifly for the LHR - JFK leg, as you say, that's the one which counts and I am sure everything else will just fall in place.

Thanks again!
Old Aug 22, 2022, 5:42 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
I’m due to fly EDI-LHR-SFO tomorrow at 0800. Originally we were on the 1015 which got cancelled so got shuffled onto the 0800. Tried to check-in and cannot but my husband can and his boarding pass is printed off. He is in 3C. On reading this thread, I thought I’d check my seat as I had reserved 3A but now I’m on 5F. But can’t check in anyway. The issue is I’m profoundly deaf (it is in my BAEC profile) and need my husband seated beside me for communication purposes. I also get seat selection for free because of this.

The other potential issue of not getting OLCI is that originally our booking (avios and 241) was for Canada in 2020 but since the Calgary flight got scrapped - we decided to change to SFO. During lockdown I changed my passport from Maiden to Married names. The paperwork submitted to BA to ensure the Canada trip now transferred to US trip in Married name. When I went to do the API a few weeks ago, I had to put in passport number to get past go. It wasn’t accepting the new passport number so decided to try the old passport number and it worked.

So - not being able to check in online could be due to the passport/name change issues. ESTAs are all in Married and Vacc Certs as well. They were all uploaded yesterday and have been approved. Or it is due to my disability and being separated from my ears. Or I’ve been selected for $$$$ which would be 2/2 each time I head to the States.

Bad enough having to leave house at 0430 without this palaver!

Thanks.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 6:08 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by FEMW
So - not being able to check in online could be due to the passport/name change issues. ESTAs are all in Married and Vacc Certs as well. They were all uploaded yesterday and have been approved. Or it is due to my disability and being separated from my ears. Or I’ve been selected for $$$$ which would be 2/2 each time I head to the States.
Yes unfortunately I suspect this booking is too messed about to allow OLCI, and there won't be much you can do about it. Check one thing now: go to the BA App and see if you can see a 125 number on the App just below the word "Aircraft". If that's there then EDI should be able to resolve any other issues. The separation from your assistance is a nuisance, and I suspect EDI check-in won't be able to fix that since the cabin is nearly full. However I would go to the pre-boarding area about 40 minutes from departure, explain this to the dispatch person, who will relay this to the IFL on board and they can then come up with a solution.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 6:56 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Yes unfortunately I suspect this booking is too messed about to allow OLCI, and there won't be much you can do about it. Check one thing now: go to the BA App and see if you can see a 125 number on the App just below the word "Aircraft". If that's there then EDI should be able to resolve any other issues. The separation from your assistance is a nuisance, and I suspect EDI check-in won't be able to fix that since the cabin is nearly full. However I would go to the pre-boarding area about 40 minutes from departure, explain this to the dispatch person, who will relay this to the IFL on board and they can then come up with a solution.
Thanks CWS. It does have a 125 number so definitely ticketed. Hopefully it is just a straightforward check of documents at airport check-in. I am taking my old passport along with photo of marriage certificate as proof.

Hopefully the dispatcher can sort out the seats - there are a single travellers in 3A and 5D (hopefully not part of group with seats in front) so fingers crossed that one of them are willing to swap seats.
Old Aug 22, 2022, 10:39 am

Hey folks, I'm doing GLA-LHR-MUC tomorrow with checked luggage. I checked in online fine for the GLA-LHR segment, but the LHR-MUC was rebooked onto LH a few weeks back due to a cancellation, and I can't checkin online, either with BA or LH. It's 125 ticketed. Do I just have to show up at the GLA bag drop and get them to sort it out there?
Old Aug 22, 2022, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GLAtrans
Hey folks, I'm doing GLA-LHR-MUC tomorrow with checked luggage. I checked in online fine for the GLA-LHR segment, but the LHR-MUC was rebooked onto LH a few weeks back due to a cancellation, and I can't checkin online, either with BA or LH. It's 125 ticketed. Do I just have to show up at the GLA bag drop and get them to sort it out there?
I would give it a go there, and they should be able to get the luggage through checked at least. However make sure you have packed very carefully, taken a photo of the contents and left contact details in the checked bag, there is a higher risk than normal of the bag misconnecting. You can get a boarding pass in LHR T2 if all else fails.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 10:13 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Just downloaded the "Check My Trip" app having seen someone mention it elsewhere. I added a trip I am taking in November (rebooked from last Nov) and I notice that I have an "ongoing" trip, since 11/11/21. (My original first leg was going to be 10/11/21)
BA app shows the original leg with its (1st amended date of 20/11/21) with no ticket number and also the two new legs with new ticket numbers in. Do I need to reach out before I try checking in? We are hoping to OLCI and twilight bag drop.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 1:39 pm
Original Poster

Potentially yes, just focus on the BA App, and before the first sector, 48 hours before departure, check the 125 is in place, and if not then call. However you slightly mitigate any problems by doing Twilight check in since at that hour when things are quiet then the BA check-in staff can liaise with the back office if necessary.
FamilyOf6 likes this.
Old Aug 24, 2022, 1:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Thanks 125's are in place now. Are you suggesting that when flight gets handed over to airport control on the systems that it might change and that is the time to spot it?
Old Sep 3, 2022, 10:00 am

Programs: VS Silver; Matmid Silver, BA Bronze; Accor Plat.
Website and App won't allow OLCI on tomorrows NQY-LHR......any particular reason? Is it usual for this route?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.