Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

FAQ : Why can't I check in online? OLCI and boarding pass difficulties

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 22, 2017, 8:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: EsherFlyer
This thread is dedicated to explaining some of the reasons why OLCI (Online Check-in) doesn't work on British Airways' website BA.com and / or its App software. The first post give the main reasons, and subsequent posts give more background. By all means reach out in this thread if you are still unsure. If you are new to the BA Forum - perhaps Google brought you here - have a look in the forum's stickies and Dashboard for more reference material.

Note that there is a HTML typo in the first link of the first thread. Try this instead: https://classic.checkmytrip.com/plne...&SITE=XCMTXXNS
Print Wikipost

FAQ : Why can't I check in online? OLCI and boarding pass difficulties

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2022, 6:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by matinicus rock
Is anyone having issues using OLCI to the States from the UK even if using VeriFLY if flying on BA? Not having 5B is problem on AA for some reason
You may want to check the main VeriFLY thread, but the short version is that after VeriFLY sends over an OK to BA, BA isn't always that quick to clear the ADOC flag to release the OLCI. Sometimes after time it clears, sometimes it's automatic, sometimes it doesn't clear, so you have to go to a check-in desk. Having done VeriFLY means the agent doesn't need to check your paperwork or scan anything so it saves time in that respect. There are other reasons why OLCI doesn't work - see upthread, but SSSS is the well known factor.
matinicus rock and golfmad like this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 6:26 am

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
Is this generic response…

“Sorry, we are unable to offer you Online Check-in for this flight on this occasion.”

…a fairly common one when attempting OLCI from USA to UK?
Old Apr 18, 2022, 6:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
If it's BA metal, something straightforward such as JFK to LHR, no codeshares, children or on carriage, then I would normally expect that to be OK for OLCI.
matinicus rock likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 6:40 am

Programs: AA EP, MUCCI, Proudly BA Blue,.
Thanks CWS - Yes everything is straightforward… except it’s for my 17 year old son’s return to the UK from BOS. Does BA prevent OLCI for under 18’s traveling alone?
Old Apr 18, 2022, 6:44 am
Original Poster

It may be a factor. Or the flight is just full. It may work for him later on.
matinicus rock likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 10:06 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
MLA->LHR in CE tomorrow. "Please collect your boarding pass at the airport" for both me and my travelling companion. No health documents to upload (as destination is the UK), no Covid certs needed anyway, no Verifly needed or possible. Flight still showing as on time. Perhaps MLA doesn't support electronic passes.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 10:17 am
Original Poster

Malta does support OLCI and self produced boarding passes. But your flight tomorrow looks very full, so maybe they have blocked OLCI while they reorganise things such as moving the curtain.
Old Apr 18, 2022, 10:58 am

Programs: BAEC GGL
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Malta does support OLCI and self produced boarding passes. But your flight tomorrow looks very full, so maybe they have blocked OLCI while they reorganise things such as moving the curtain.
To be clear OLCI worked (IE I have checked in). I just can't download / print / whatever a boarding pass. Hopefully we won't be the ones picked to be bumped!
Old Apr 18, 2022, 11:02 am

Programs: Gold at BA, Hilton and Radisson.
Couldn’t do this either yesterday, BOS-LHR. Was a very simple cash ticket and no changes. Boarding pass issued without difficulty at the airport, and then could do it in the app.
Old Apr 22, 2022, 2:33 pm

Another BOS - LHR not providing boarding passes following online check in
Old Apr 27, 2022, 2:36 am

Programs: BAEC (although I might just cut up the card)
I have an interesting one. Well maybe not interesting. It's been a while since I flew BA. I was gold at one point but a change of product at work means I'm no longer travelling at all for business.

I have a normal flight booked into Italy. I filled in the form they provide, with vaccine status and dplf. This is verified and if I go check the status it still says verified. My current passport (expiring 2029) is entered on my account.

But when I try to check in it says "the travel document details you have entered are not valid for this flight". Except if I click on the page where it checks the documentation for the flight it shows all the items as "completed". It says I'm checked in, but cannot get a boarding pass and if the document (it doesn't say which) isn't fixed I won't be able to fly. It links an IATA site, which I visited, entered all the info into and it also says I'm fine.

Is this a new BA feature I'm experiencing? One of the things about BA used to be that this nonsense was such a rarity.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by r00ty
Is this a new BA feature I'm experiencing? One of the things about BA used to be that this nonsense was such a rarity.
I've personally used the Salesforce Document upload mechanism plenty of times, including recently and it has worked for me, but plenty of other people have reported issues in the Document Upload thread. In essence you should be able to get your boarding pass fairly swiftly at LHR and it shouldn't be a matter of concern, despite some of the wording. From what I can make out it's best to use Salesforce once the flight is in Fly, but well before OLCI works. The Salesforce team seem to need 3 to 24 hours, depending on workload. Once they send out their email confirming all is well then OLCI just seems to work, at least as far as I am concerned. But as I say many people have reported outcomes similar to you, but on the day of departure things tend to go smoothly. So check back in a few hours, then just allow a few extra minutes to collect the boarding pass if ncessary.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 4:47 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Gold
I have an interesting one. Well maybe not interesting. It's been a while since I flew BA. I was gold at one point but a change of product at work means I'm no longer travelling at all for business.

I have a normal flight booked into Italy. I filled in the form they provide, with vaccine status and dplf. This is verified and if I go check the status it still says verified. My current passport (expiring 2029) is entered on my account.

But when I try to check in it says "the travel document details you have entered are not valid for this flight". Except if I click on the page where it checks the documentation for the flight it shows all the items as "completed". It says I'm checked in, but cannot get a boarding pass and if the document (it doesn't say which) isn't fixed I won't be able to fly. It links an IATA site, which I visited, entered all the info into and it also says I'm fine.

I had this sort of problem last year when flying to GIB. Got to the airport armed with all my documents, and the guy on the desk STILL couldn't check me in. Turned out they had to ask me whether I intended to travel into Spain, which I clearly didn't because I wasn't allowed to cross the border. Once they confirmed that the check-in was processed. There was absolutely no way of knowing what the issue was online.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 4:52 am

Programs: BAEC (although I might just cut up the card)
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I've personally used the Salesforce Document upload mechanism plenty of times, including recently and it has worked for me, but plenty of other people have reported issues in the Document Upload thread. In essence you should be able to get your boarding pass fairly swiftly at LHR and it shouldn't be a matter of concern, despite some of the wording. From what I can make out it's best to use Salesforce once the flight is in Fly, but well before OLCI works. The Salesforce team seem to need 3 to 24 hours, depending on workload. Once they send out their email confirming all is well then OLCI just seems to work, at least as far as I am concerned. But as I say many people have reported outcomes similar to you, but on the day of departure things tend to go smoothly. So check back in a few hours, then just allow a few extra minutes to collect the boarding pass if ncessary.
I received the confirmation email from "BA Digital Boarding" saying all was well yesterday evening, 10 hours before OLCI opened. Likewise the option on the app where you can see the documentation status for the flight shows completed on all lines. Seems all a bit weird. I'm expecting it'll all be fine, since I do know I have the correct documentation. But, just not so great wording (nor is the fact they don't really elaborate on WHICH part of the documentation is wrong).

The odd thing is, that despite the documentation being uploaded and cleared by "BA Digital", on the app is shows I should still upload the documentation. Not sure if that's normal, like I say it's been a while and definitely before all these post covid changes came into place.

Anyway thanks for your reply. I suspect it will be fine at the airport. Just a bit annoyed that I did everything right and yet somehow it wouldn't let me continue.
Old Apr 27, 2022, 5:55 am
Original Poster

The odd thing is, that despite the documentation being uploaded and cleared by "BA Digital", on the app is shows I should still upload the documentation. Not sure if that's normal, like I say it's been a while and definitely before all these post covid changes came into place.
After the greenlight from Salesforce, the OLCI and MMB screens still indicate that documents need to be uploaded, though there is also some wording about "if you haven't done so already". I wouldn't be concerned about it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.