Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Year's Resolution: GGL in 2018

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:17 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt 5+ Badge

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Mucci des Salons Ouvrants
Originally Posted by bisonrav
It may be worth looking at BA97 to see a few particularly interesting pinch points and short connections, and checking back on those dates for a bit of real time schadenfreude. If a trip is particularly interesting (in the way this one isn't) I do intend to do a real trip report in the trip report forum and link back to it.
Looking forward to catching up with you in various airports! I am also embarking on a run to GGL this year - race you to the finish line!

Regards

aks120
MrMutton and madfish like this.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Everything and everyone converges in Phoenix in August. It's like the Mayan calendar ending. Nothing can ever be the same after that. Most of the Avios ever mined will be in one place at one time, and no-one truly knows what will happen. The world may just end up being RFSed into another dimension.

Up until then, I'll add a little context here and there at the start of each episode in particular, good point well made.

aks120, T8191 and squawk like this.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:30 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Frequent Flyer
I am on a similar quest, but only to retain Gold and I'm looking forward to your updates. I am getting more adventurous when it comes to routing and may have to do something crazy in the Autumn.

Good luck with your quest!
Old Feb 9, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
Ah I’m flying to LUX tomorrow (no reason other than to get away for the weekend and have an extended gluttony session in various T3 lounges ) and also staying overnight in the NH, returning Sunday. Shame doesn’t overlap! Good luck
bisonrav likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 4:37 pm
Original Poster

Dateline Athens, 10th Feb 2018, and I'm now half way through the first run of the GGL challenge year.

This morning seems a hell of a long time ago, but I woke to my alarm in the NH (perfectly nice hotel, recommended) and bounded out of bed to shut it up, and thence to the bathroom. At which point I remembered I had a back problem and was unable to walk or stand up. This was particularly stupid, because I had cunningly left the anti-inflammatories next to the bed so they'd be there when I woke up, thereby allowing me to stand up and gently stretch my self into a vertical posture. A lot of cursing and shuffling ensued but I eventually got back to them with the required results about 30 minutes later.

What I would say about LUX is that the lounge isn't easy to find. It's on a non-obvious corridor coming out of security with a door that looks welded shut. If you miss it, you end up in the duty free being directed to a lift that is out of order and an escalator which is barricaded off. And there is no one there to ask. But eventually I found it, rather I think to the surprise of the staff. Good coffee, comfortable, nice selection of charcuterie, and I stayed there until time to leave on another very uneventful flight.

First time T3-T5 transfer, very easy, and into GF where I managed to swerve a group of marauding FTers with some lame excuse about not checking my PMs (which I sadly didn't). Quite a long day with some Rugby and champagne in.Good crew on the Athens flight, nice banter and they were very kind to a cute 4 year old who was excited to see into the cockpit at the start, and then later in the flight to sit with them and drink fruit juice. A good crew really does ease the process of flying, not to say the others were bad, but this lot were very engaged and up, and it was good to watch them.

And so here I am, I just updated the quick turnaround thread, sitting in Athens with a few fellow overnighters. Half way through, and waiting for the lounges to open about 5am I think. I didn't fancy risking the back by going into town, though it's much improved now.

madfish likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 4:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Rugby and champagne sounds like a great day.

What was the food like on the flight?

Are you just resting in the airport now? Much chance of some shut eye?

^
Old Feb 10, 2018, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Food: bog standard panini ex LUX, very good chicken with truffled linguini on the ATH flight. Really enjoyed that. I would actually pay money in a restaurant for that.

I reckon you could sleep at ATH, there's a guy doing it on some seats that aren't divided. It's very bright and there are periodic security announcements. I'm staying awake as the plan is to nurse my back rather than try to sleep on a bench, and I'll hit the lounges as soon as they open. Then CX or possibly Qantas at T3, back to LUX and the NH, and home on monday.
TPRun likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 7:57 pm
Original Poster

In other news, the skyserv lounge at ATH, which helpfully opens at 4am, has four types of chairs. All EXCRUTIATINGLY uncomfortable.

I have tried them all.
pacenotes likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2018, 9:18 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Everything and everyone converges in Phoenix in August. It's like the Mayan calendar ending. Nothing can ever be the same after that. Most of the Avios ever mined will be in one place at one time, and no-one truly knows what will happen. The world may just end up being RFSed into another dimension.

Up until then, I'll add a little context here and there at the start of each episode in particular, good point well made.

I really never thought it would possible to get anyone to PHX for a Do. Much less in August... I'm looking forward to everyone's reaction when they step outside.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by dylanks

I really never thought it would possible to get anyone to PHX for a Do. Much less in August... I'm looking forward to everyone's reaction when they step outside.
"It's nice and warm today, isn't it!"
Old Feb 11, 2018, 2:33 am

Dozens of 100ml sunscreen bottles will be crossing the globe.
PHX will see the largest collection of pasty, lobster-red Englishmen in one place it has ever seen
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP

Well, it's just another day in the life of a TP-runner IIRC the HGI hotel pool is outside in the blistering sun, but the bar is inside, in the soothing area of AC protection.

Back OT, I really enjoy your updates bisonrav, sorry for your back problems, really not the time to endure that type of probs doing a GGL challenge. Lucky now you planned neither LUX or ATH to be B2Bs. Overnight @ATHseems to be a strain, though.

Get well soon, and
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:51 am
Original Poster

A shower and a sit in the CX lounge at T3 has fixed all the Athens fatigue. I love this lounge.
TPRun likes this.
Old Feb 11, 2018, 4:56 am

A shower and a sit in the CX lounge at T3 has fixed all the Athens fatigue. I love this lounge.
i like the order-to-preference food in there (there may be a food theme with me ) Hopefully the nice chairs in there help your back...and the bar, of course.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 7:56 am
Original Poster

All done with the first run - TPs gradually catching up with me, and a steady start of 320 prior to the BIG ONE in 10 days time.

Nothing much to report from the tail end of this. I had a job staying awake at LHR yesterday waiting for the flight back to LUX, but got on and nothing particularly good or bad about the flight. I did like, and do recommend, the NH at the airport, very convenient and comfortable, and a good steak for twenty quid. Massive overnight back trouble - I coughed and twinged something, and the first hour of the day was spent being resolutely unconvinced I'd make it the 300 yards or so to the airport accompanied by swearing and stretching exercises.

Beyond that, the only remarkable thing was a really great crew on BA417 today. Attentive without being obsequious, two GCH welcomes, and a very friendly service despite quite a full cabin. Because of the trouble at LCY a few people had been put onto the flight and there wasn't catering for them. This was dealt with proactively by offering BoB free of charge, and although there were a few raised tuts, it was all done very well. I've sent positive feedback. I had quite a variable experience with crews on this trip, nothing particularly bad, but this was a nice way to finish off.

So what have I learned? Firstly I probably wouldn't do this sort of run again - although it was fairly easy, and quite enjoyable to have plenty of time to try out the lounges, it's not a massively effective use of time (at the time I booked, I was really just looking to get a Gold renewal). The CX lounge in T3 is my new favourite place, and the Cathay delight drinks are my favourite drink (apologies, it's alcohol free, it happens). I had a very good experience with National Express getting to Heathrow from darn South too, will use that again. I am not gagging to see any more of Athens airport.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, some deep massage and anti-inflammatories and regroup on the 22nd for a Prague to BKK via DCA run. The full routing is on my flight map at myflightradar24, it's a bit epic. Also on there is a work trip to Shanghai, so ignore that bit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.