Wiki Posts
Search

New Year's Resolution: GGL in 2018

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2019, 1:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
So just one little post-scriptum.

I did a lot of fairly luxurious flying last year, so I thought I'd detox a little by declaring this Ryanuary and doing a little full bareback normal-person-on-lcc flying to see how it compared with OW. This was a day trip to Dublin today, and cost just over Ł28 for a return from Gatwick.

No cheating, either, I didn't buy seats or anything else - you get loads of emails from Ryanair if you don't, which warn you of all sorts of dire consequences if you have more than a small bag, and that you may have to sit in the middle. But I ignored them. Manfully.

So it was with a little trepidation that I checked in to find out what had happened in the Ryanair randomised seat lottery. And I had 22B outbound (boooooo!) and 24F inbound (okish).

I trod the well trodden path to Gatwick this morning, taking care to have breakfast first, and arriving a little later than I would normally when I have GF access. Normal person security was fantastic, very quick and easy and much more tray replacement discipline from the Y passengers. Wandered around the terminal a bit (the lounge was calling to me, plaintively, but I ignored it), and then went off to the gate, which was essentially identical to BA or Iberia. I was expecting a gate somewhere in Croydon, but it was 11, right next to the departure lounges. And onboard very efficiently too, boarding front and rear.

I hit lucky immediately. 22A was travelling with 19D, and asked if I'd swap. Of course, I said, and found myself with MY OWN ARMREST. Very pleased with that.

But it got even better when 19E decided to go back and sit with her companion in 22F, leaving a free centre seat.

It was one of the newer 737-800s, and spotless. Toilets much better than BA. Decent legroom but had the thin seats which I wouldn't fancy for a couple of hours, and they seem to pitch you slightly forward of upright. But there was absolutely nothing wrong with the flight, good crew, on time, everything done very nicely. No appreciable difference to a BA Basic Economy fare.

Dublin was great too, but a fairly quick day trip, taking the 747 bus, having a great all day breakfast, and then walking around and getting a bit of post Christmas fresh air. But it was a bit odd, because you heard very few Irish accents, lots of central European, Polish, Spanish, French, etc. And by the time I got back to the airport, my brain was getting a little confused by it all, and I was having difficulty remembering which country I was in. I folded and used one of my Amex lounge club passes to get into the T1 lounge, and for most of the time I think I thought I was in Spain or something, unless I really thought hard about it. Anyway, not the most wonderful lounge but OK, and off to the gate which was miles away. Mind you the Iberia express customers had it worse, they had a switch from gate 200ish to 100ish, which I think is about a two day walk.

Very efficient boarding. I like Ryanair boarding, they take zero crap and everyone knows it so there's none offered. Fast and easy. It soon also became apparent that the plane was about 1/5th full, so my 22F quickly became 22D, and then when the seatbelt light went off, 2C. Older 737-800 with the cushioned seats, and much more comfortable than the thin ones. Very good crew indeed, and again, spotless toilets. I would say this flight beat a lot of LGW BA Basic ones I've taken this year. Oh, and on both flights I got precisely the same ggl greeting I've had on BA since attaining it. And we arrived 25 minutes early.

Off onto a bus, into domestic arrivals and home.

Very happy overall with Ryanair on the basis of this experience. Now it's fair to say that BA fares are reducing to a point where they're competitive, and given a choice I would choose BA for the status perks (I was very lucky with the seats this time and I had only a very small shoulderbag). But I'm certainly a lot less sneery about Team O'Leary than before.

Back to BA soon anyway, with a trip to Malaga.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 3:07 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
This thread inspired me to go for GGL in 2019. I accrued 2500+ TP in 2018, but only travelled heavily 5 months during the year. This year I will be flying more for work, combined with the CX mistake fare (which means 2 trips to Asia) and a trip or 2 to Europe as well.
Vasco Pridat likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Final final last post in this thread.

Just booked the payoff, which is a family trip in F to Singapore next Chinese New Year using various accumulated vouchers and Avios. BA11/12.

So big thanks to all the people who've helped and advised along the way. TP reset just happened, but 280 on the way on Saturday on the return Satay fare.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:32 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

It's been a wonderful thread to read over the last year plus @bisonrav so thank you for taking the time to share your story on the BA Board.Too much to comment on specifically or quote but very captivating indeed. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.