Ferrying spare parts to a stranded plane

Old Dec 20, 17, 10:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL (OWE), SA LifePlat (*G), BD Gold to the end, Hilton Diamond
Ferrying spare parts to a stranded plane

A friend is on BA57 LHR-JNB 20dec. Departure was delayed by nearly 2 hours. Captain explained 'a part' needed for a stranded a380 in Jnb had to be 'fitted' to their aircraft resulting in the delay. I presume the stranded aircraft is G-XLEA, tech at JNB since 12dec. I've seen a spare engine fitted to a 747 but an engine wasn't mentioned so anyone know what other part might be 'fitted' to the aircraft to ferry it to the stricken plane?
I was also surprised the broken a380 has been sunbathing in Jo'burg for over a week. That must impact utilisation across a relatively small but expensive fleet of aircraft (12 I think), particularly a few days before Christmas when flights must be pretty full.
Old Dec 20, 17, 10:44 pm

Programs: Krisflyer Gold
The schedule has been running for a while with one A380 in heavy mx in Manila. Whether planned or reactionary- the latest A380 positioned back to operation without another taking its place - hence the schedule being unaffected
Old Dec 27, 17, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by gcuk View Post
I was also surprised the broken a380 has been sunbathing in Jo'burg for over a week.
AIUI, it can take time to get a slot on the Antonov.

I see that the BA Source is reporting that G-XLEL went tech in JNB after operating BA57 / 22 December, and that this is why G-XLEA operated the inbound BA54 / 23 December. However, when I was looking at FR24 before those dates, it looked like G-XLEA had been down to operate that BA54 already, so all is a bit mysterious.