Community
Wiki Posts
Search

3 class J on 4 class 777 as gold woes

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2017, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by The Muffin Man
Not wishing to hijack the thread but as somewhat related I hope someone in this thread can help. Will there still be 4 class 777s on the TPA route in 2018 and beyond? Mrs Muffin Man loves the mouse so I am planning a trip but I cannot see any F listed on any dates at all.

Thanks in advance,
TMM
Its only ever marketted as a 3 class plane so only CW WT+ and WT available to buy. But they then use the 4 class plane. If it is a full flight many will get a free upgrade WT to ET+ etc). So often they open up the F section but never sell it as F. Its not just TPA the 4 class plane gets used on all thwe LGW long haul routes but it seems to have spent a lot of time on the TPA route lately.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 2:04 am

Much appreciated,

i think you you have also inadvertently answered a q I was going to open a separate thread about as I’m with mrs MM LGW-ANU early next year in J. I’ve done the route a few times and it’s normally the 3 class 777 but the seat map looks like it’s a 4 class as it’s 48J from rows 10-15.

ive booked my parents to come out and they look to be on the new layout 3 class (which is what I expected us to be on)

assuming we we will be on 4 class, is there much we can do beyond not choosing seats to improve opup chances if they open F?

Finally, when they do this, is it full first food/drink service or is it essentially club service in F?

thanks,
TMM
Old Dec 23, 2017, 3:46 am

TMM - theres nothing F about the service in this situation. As others have mentioned, this occurs when a 4 class aircraft is used on a 3 class route.
The F cabin will only normally be utilized for additional J capacity when the flight is full. You cannot preselect to sit here. You cannot pay extra to secure space here. There aren't any actions or practices you can follow to put yourself ahead of anyone else. It's essentially overflow Club and it may well be curtained off and out of use on any flight you take should the passenger load deem it non essential for using it. The process is completely handled by the airport check in that handles the departing flight in question. This would be your first point of enquiry as to whether they're opening the F cabin as an overflow for Club that day and whether there might be seat space available in order for you to move. Also, you should probably try and stop thinking about this as an opup - if only for the disappointment factor in the event the cabin isn't utilized or you're unable to secure seats there. The fact is you will still be flying Club - the class you've paid for. Hope this covers every angle.

Last edited by 1Aturnleft; Dec 23, 2017 at 3:58 am
Old Dec 23, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: Hilton Silver VIP, Overworked Cabin Crew
Originally Posted by RedDevil83
All's well that ends well. Got to check-in this morning and the helpful lad on the desk said that yes F cabin was completely full, and it looked like there was some families in there with I assume the GCH parent. He rang through to his supervisor to argue my case but there was nothing that could be done as all seats were taken.

Sat in the lounge enjoying some breakfast and bubbles, and low and behold as we approach boarding time the BA app has just updated with my new seat. Very much looking forward to a very comfortable trip across the Atlantic

Oh! I'm so glad it worked out for you in the end, but now I'm curious to know which seat you had as I was working in that cabin 😃😃
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 6:15 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by flipper118
Is the stress and worry about getting 'upgraded' on this flight really worth it? Although it paid off in the end I can't help but think the OP would have been left slightly disappointed should he have been given the seat he had paid for.
Indeed. However that's the downside of BA flyertalk and a bit of knowledge about BA's procedures. When things aren't going exactly to plan or following a set service standard you can't help but feel disappointed. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 8:16 am
Jed

Programs: BA Gold, AA 1MM lifetime gold, Starwood gold, Marriott Gold Elite
Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
TMM - theres nothing F about the service in this situation. As others have mentioned, this occurs when a 4 class aircraft is used on a 3 class route.
The F cabin will only normally be utilized for additional J capacity when the flight is full. You cannot preselect to sit here. You cannot pay extra to secure space here. There aren't any actions or practices you can follow to put yourself ahead of anyone else. It's essentially overflow Club and it may well be curtained off and out of use on any flight you take should the passenger load deem it non essential for using it. The process is completely handled by the airport check in that handles the departing flight in question. This would be your first point of enquiry as to whether they're opening the F cabin as an overflow for Club that day and whether there might be seat space available in order for you to move. Also, you should probably try and stop thinking about this as an opup - if only for the disappointment factor in the event the cabin isn't utilized or you're unable to secure seats there. The fact is you will still be flying Club - the class you've paid for. Hope this covers every angle.
There does seem to be an element of mystery as to who can be allocated the seats even if they use them at airport check in. We were told that we 'weren't on the list' so couldn't be seated there, even though they were using the cabin. That is despite being 3 GCH. Unless everyone was GGL, I don't think the F cabin was used for those with higher status. In fact, on board, the CSM said they allocate it to those without a seat assignment.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Jed
In fact, on board, the CSM said they allocate it to those without a seat assignment.
So those traveling on staff travel then

I think perhaps there are a lot of variables which may need to work in a perfect storm fashion in order for everything to work out.

I was traveling to St Kitts in WTP a few years ago and got upgraded at check in to Club World. Upon boarding it was obvious that we were on a 4 class aircraft. This meant a dramatically smaller economy cabin than the 3 class aircraft I was expecting to travel on. Lots of upgrades from Y to W and subsequently lots of W made it up to J. I wasn't seated in the F zone but depending on the dynamics of Club (who has paid to be seated together, how many status passengers, are there children/infants in the party) it may be easier operationally to put non rev passengers there than move people who may not understand or even appreciate why theyve been moved.
Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by galleyslave
Oh! I'm so glad it worked out for you in the end, but now I'm curious to know which seat you had as I was working in that cabin 😃😃
I was in 2K, behind the family. A few glasses of bubbles and a cold meant I slept most of the way!
Old Dec 23, 2017, 10:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by flipper118
Is the stress and worry about getting 'upgraded' on this flight really worth it? Although it paid off in the end I can't help but think the OP would have been left slightly disappointed should he have been given the seat he had paid for.
Originally Posted by BERbound
Indeed. However that's the downside of BA flyertalk and a bit of knowledge about BA's procedures. When things aren't going exactly to plan or following a set service standard you can't help but feel disappointed. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.
I can certainly see both sides of the coin here, but that's the beauty of FT for me. Had it not been for this forum I would never have known about this unofficial GCH perk, and would never have even known to even ask at check-in, so would've been happily sat in my normal seat as paid for. The advice on here for me to ask at check-in paid off in the end and I got a lovely bonus with the new seat, so I'm glad I knew. Had I been sat in my other seat I would've been slightly jealous of those up front, but still more than happy with a nice seat
Old Dec 23, 2017, 1:38 pm

Programs: Accor Silver, HHonours Silver, Carlson Gold, BA Blue
I can certainly see both sides of the coin here, but that's the beauty of FT for me. Had it not been for this forum I would never have known about this unofficial GCH perk, and would never have even known to even ask at check-in, so would've been happily sat in my normal seat as paid for. The advice on here for me to ask at check-in paid off in the end and I got a lovely bonus with the new seat, so I'm glad I knew. Had I been sat in my other seat I would've been slightly jealous of those up front, but still more than happy with a nice seat

I can certainly understand that you can see all sides of the story, and that's great. And the fact that you posted your plight here, and called the exec club several times would not detract in any way from your travels. I can also imagine re-checking at the desk was also an extremely proactive event. I'm happy you got to travel in the F cabin (albeit with CW service) I've only ever enjoyed it as full F service, and hopefully this will encourage you to try it again. 😉
Old Dec 23, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: Hilton Silver VIP, Overworked Cabin Crew

I was in 2K, behind the family. A few glasses of bubbles and a cold meant I slept most of the way!
In that case......... I brought you your first glass 😁
Old Dec 23, 2017, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by 1Aturnleft
thanks for the help, fully understand the situation. Very happy with J anyway for this route, just really understanding what to expect in the unlikely event it does happen. We’ve flown J a couple times to ANU and it’s normally quiet so my expectation is that F seats won’t be required.

Merry Christmas,
The Muffin Man
Old Dec 24, 2017, 2:26 am

Originally Posted by The Muffin Man

thanks for the help, fully understand the situation. Very happy with J anyway for this route, just really understanding what to expect in the unlikely event it does happen. We’ve flown J a couple times to ANU and it’s normally quiet so my expectation is that F seats won’t be required.

Merry Christmas,
The Muffin Man
When I flew to Antigua the seat map showed 4 class from the date of booking. In the UBer to Gatwick I was overjoyed to see my seat had changed to 3a on the app. However, when we boarded it become clear we had changed to a 3 class aircraft, so be prepared for this change until 4 hours before the flight.
Old Dec 24, 2017, 4:56 am

As counter intuitive as it sounds I think I would prefer that, even if it means giving up he possibility of an F seat as I much prefer the J cabin layout on the 3 class when flying with MrsMM, I think even with the 2018 changes coming in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.