Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best not to piss off musicians..

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2017, 11:53 am

Programs: BA GGL
If there isn’t room, that’s fine. I’m happy to gate check in a pinch - but insisting on check in and hard cases, when there’s space in the cabin makes no sense.

Also, there’s a seat reserved empty next to me right now that I didn’t pay for, because of theoretical seating, as a GCH.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by armouredant
If there isn’t room, that’s fine. I’m happy to gate check in a pinch - but insisting on check in and hard cases, when there’s space in the cabin makes no sense.

Also, there’s a seat reserved empty next to me right now that I didn’t pay for, because of theoretical seating, as a GCH.
Makes a lot of sense me - at the gate during a time critical process of the flight there isn't necessarily going to be time to go through the process with people, the subsequent fallout associated with passengers being parted from their instrument at that late stage could cause a delay, the possibility of those playing the dumb card and pleading ignorance. It's not going to necessarily end well. Also with theoretical seating, you'll be aware that a blocked seat next to a gold isn't guaranteed and shouldn't be expected.

Perhaps because I don't have this headache to worry about I might be missing the obvious but I'm failing to understand why accepting the revised policy is so difficult for musicians to comprehend? If the purchase of a comfort seat on addition is now required surely It's just a case if incorporating that into your expenses or jumping ship to an alternative carrier who have a more relaxed policy if the additional expense is not an option. Apparently there are loads who allow it. I'm not convinced.
LTN Phobia, Tobias-UK and Anonba like this.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 3:55 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Is this what is alluded to by BA in the Indy article? How do we book these?
These second seats are booked via the Contact Centre, they are known as "Extra Seats", or EXST to use the jargon, and they have to go via the Contact Centre since some particular coding has to go in to keep the seating contiguous and to prevent an apparently duplicated booking from being cancelled as a "dupe" (duplicate) booking. The cost is the same as the base fare, so without the taxes and surcharges, however there is a minimum fee of Ł40 for shorthaul and Ł300 for longhaul (that could be a return fare and therefore an extra seat in both directions). The extra seat doesn't increase the baggage allowance, but clearly does allow for a seat or floor space for a particular item.
Old Dec 20, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
I bought a new trombone in Yorkshire 3 weeks ago. MAN to LHR I was told something as small as a violin could be carried on board. A guitar, no. My trombone was in between. I asked to request 'crew discretion '. They happily put in a wardrobe.
LHR to ORD First check in told me the same but put a note on my booking. Crew were happy for me to bring on board and it fitted snugly in the 747 UD bin.
ORD to LAX and LAX to AKL with AA nothing was said and it went in the overhead no problem.
AKL to Rotorua with air New Zealand I have 'fast bag' gate check as I am *A gold.
I suspect the journey may not have been so easy if I was not OWE and flying J. The instrument has a hard case but would still be easily damaged with rough handling or burying under a pile of bags!
Old Dec 21, 2017, 5:38 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
We continue to make efforts to accommodate passangers of size having eaten one two many pasties or let people with children board first, bend over backwards to please inane requests from footballers or reality TV attention seekers.

But a person who is genuinely talented, accomplished and dedicated to make a living as a musician or be invited to play abroad, gets slapped in the face with a policy and told they don’t deserve an ounce of special consideration.

Old Dec 21, 2017, 6:06 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by amt
We continue to make efforts to accommodate passangers of size having eaten one two many pasties or let people with children board first, bend over backwards to please inane requests from footballers or reality TV attention seekers.

But a person who is genuinely talented, accomplished and dedicated to make a living as a musician or be invited to play abroad, gets slapped in the face with a policy and told they don’t deserve an ounce of special consideration.
Because there are no genuinely talented, accomplished and dedicated footballers, whilst all musicians are? Any possibility you're seeking to suggest BA policy should reflect you're own value system?
tigertanaka likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:12 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
There was a young couple from overseas in the check-in line I passed at LHR being told that the what looked like a 3/4 guitar they had in a soft cover couldn't travel as hand luggage. I think they'd brought it in on their arrival trip that way, and were struggling to understand (in both senses) what they were being asked to do .
1Aturnleft likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2017, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
There was a young couple from overseas in the check-in line I passed at LHR being told that the what looked like a 3/4 guitar they had in a soft cover couldn't travel as hand luggage. I think they'd brought it in on their arrival trip that way, and were struggling to understand (in both senses) what they were being asked to do .
I always thought the lounges were missing a fireplace. All those soft packed guitars and tat wooden sledges from Christmas markets that are so essential for the cabin these days could be the fuel!
Old Dec 21, 2017, 11:33 am

Flew long haul from Heathrow last night to SE Asia. Carried the guitar through check in and not a mention was made of it. It was very comfortably accommodated on board in the cupboard at the end of the cabin I was seated in. So, in real terms, this policy change *has* made things more consistent; I am consistently told by customer services that I may or may not be able to take a guitar into the cabin (but probably not), and I am consistently able to take a guitar into the cabin.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 5:58 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Saw this on my timeline recently...

Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:44 am

My guitar, in its assigned seat on Swiss last week, was offered a chocolate.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 7:52 am

Programs: BA gold
My guitar, in its assigned seat on Swiss last week, was offered a chocolate.
Probably because we now know Cruz's son likes to take a guitar on board.
Old Feb 2, 2018, 8:23 am

Originally Posted by Stez
Probably because we now know Cruz's son likes to take a guitar on board.
*speaks into watch* Dad, get me out of here, I've been made!
Stez likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.