Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Flight left without me at DUS - and thank you to the BAEC Helpline!

Old Dec 18, 17, 11:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador

I’d like to thank the BAEC Gold Helpline for sorting my situation out at DUS tonight.

I was booked on the flight to LCY (18.10) and turned up at the gate at 17.43, a few minutes after the time stated on my boarding pass (“Board at: 17.40”) to be told by the Menzies Aviation BA representative that my flight had already departed.

I was genuinely surprised to find that the gate had closed - I first thought it may have been me getting my time zones mixed up, but that was not the case.

As I was on a reward flight, he said he was unable to move me to the LHR flight departing an hour later.

I was advised to ring BAEC, which I did (by this time, it was still just 17.47). I was told that the flight hadn’t shown as departed for them, so the lady who was helping me had sympathy for my situation (and was also surprised that I was at the gate but couldn’t board the flight - she even spoke to the gate staff). To cut a long story short, she helped to re-book my flight to the next LHR one without charge, for which I was very grateful.

This is the first time that this has happened to me so I’m intrigued as to whether the “Board at” time is actually a “Gate closes at” time, for future reference? Has the description changed in the new version of the boarding passes?
Old Dec 18, 17, 12:21 pm

I have warmed a seat for you on the plane operating the LHR flight.
Old Dec 18, 17, 12:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, LH SEN , A3*G & others less exciting that don't fit in my wallet
Happened to me at DUS before ... The LCY gate is kind of hard to find too !
Old Dec 18, 17, 12:34 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by dycc View Post
I’d like to thank the BAEC Gold Helpline for sorting my situation out at DUS tonight.

I was booked on the flight to LCY (18.10) and turned up at the gate at 17.43, a few minutes after the time stated on my boarding pass (“Board at: 17.40”) to be told by the Menzies Aviation BA representative that my flight had already departed.

I was genuinely surprised to find that the gate had closed - I first thought it may have been me getting my time zones mixed up, but that was not the case.

As I was on a reward flight, he said he was unable to move me to the LHR flight departing an hour later.

I was advised to ring BAEC, which I did (by this time, it was still just 17.47). I was told that the flight hadn’t shown as departed for them, so the lady who was helping me had sympathy for my situation (and was also surprised that I was at the gate but couldn’t board the flight - she even spoke to the gate staff). To cut a long story short, she helped to re-book my flight to the next LHR one without charge, for which I was very grateful.

This is the first time that this has happened to me so I’m intrigued as to whether the “Board at” time is actually a “Gate closes at” time, for future reference? Has the description changed in the new version of the boarding passes?
Yes it has! It was recently changed, that used to be the gate closing time but it was changed to show the boarding time (as part of the soon to be introduced Group Boarding process.
Old Dec 18, 17, 12:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, VFC Gold, Marriott Silver, Hertz PC, DYKWIA
Whether or not the boarding pass design has changed, I'm concerned if you were denied boarding because you presented yourself at the gate a "mere" 27 minutes before scheduled push.
Old Dec 18, 17, 1:02 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by richi View Post
Whether or not the boarding pass design has changed, I'm concerned if you were denied boarding because you presented yourself at the gate a "mere" 27 minutes before scheduled push.
Me too, I wouldn't normally turn up that early either. The aircraft arrived 23 minutes early into LCY (18:02 instead of 18:25), having officially pushed back from DUS at 17:57 instead of 18:10. I suspect the Gold line were also somewhat surprised.
Old Dec 18, 17, 1:10 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
I’m all for flights operating on time but leaving early is somewhat harder to take. In Japan there was a recent case of an apology being issued when a train left twenty seconds earlier than scheduled.

Does the OP have grounds for IDB or for any delay in getting to their destination? I assume they would still arrive at LHR fairly soon after they would have arrived at LCY.
Old Dec 18, 17, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by madfish View Post
I’m all for flights operating on time but leaving early is somewhat harder to take. In Japan there was a recent case of an apology being issued when a train left twenty seconds earlier than scheduled.

Does the OP have grounds for IDB or for any delay in getting to their destination? I assume they would still arrive at LHR fairly soon after they would have arrived at LCY.
I would say he does. He presented himself on time and was denied boarding for no good reason.
madfish and LTN Phobia like this.
Old Dec 18, 17, 1:20 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH FTL (Silver), BA Blue
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
Me too, I wouldn't normally turn up that early either. The aircraft arrived 23 minutes early into LCY (18:02 instead of 18:25), having officially pushed back from DUS at 17:57 instead of 18:10. I suspect the Gold line were also somewhat surprised.
Wait a minute, by law you must be allowed to board if you show up at your gate at least 20 mins before departure? Does it not say on the Boarding pass 'gate closes 20 mins before departure'?
The OP showed up 27 mins before departure at the gate is closed already? First time I heard of this?
Old Dec 18, 17, 1:27 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas View Post
Wait a minute, by law you must be allowed to board if you show up at your gate at least 20 mins before departure? Does it not say on the Boarding pass 'gate closes 20 mins before departure'?
The OP showed up 27 mins before departure at the gate is closed already? First time I heard of this?
What law are you referring to? I would say an airline can choose its own rules. The issue here seems to be that their own rules were not followed. I would also say that ultimately the captain can refuse to take the passenger regardless of the time they show up, although would expect them to have a good reason for doing so.
Old Dec 18, 17, 1:28 pm

There is no such law, but in the reported circumstances the OP was involuntary denied boarding.
martin102 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 17, 1:37 pm

I found this on the conditions of carriage.
When I see a boarding pass that says 'gate closes 20 min before departure', if i am there 21 mins before departure, then I am 'fully legal'.
Old Dec 18, 17, 1:39 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I found this on the conditions of carriage.
When I see a boarding pass that says 'gate closes 20 min before departure', if i am there 21 mins before departure, then I am 'fully legal'.
That was on the old boarding passes, and is still on the App. The new printed boarding passes (see the Boarding by group thread) now only have a "boarding starts" time.
Old Dec 18, 17, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave View Post
That was on the old boarding passes, and is still on the App. The new printed boarding passes (see the Boarding by group thread) now only have a "boarding starts" time.
Oh dear, so now I'll best be at the gate when it says 'boarding starts'
Old Dec 18, 17, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by madfish View Post
What law are you referring to?
The law on YouTube, no doubt.

IAMORGAN likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: