Pre-order starters in First

Old Dec 18, 17, 3:42 pm

Programs: VS FC Gold, BA EC Gold, Amex Centurion, EK Gold, ex-G-ATVK driver
I can’t remember not being able to have my first choices, and I too have also offered to be flexible when not sure what to pick, although I’ve never been taken up on the offer.

I do suspect though that this might be to do with status and where I tend to sit in the cabin, two not entirely mutually exclusive scenarios.

The pre-order options that are available I find to be pretty uninspiring, so I prefer to take pot luck on board. In addition, I’m never really sure how I’ll feel on the day, so I’d rather leave my options open: having a pre-ordered meal seems to preclude you from the on-board menu, or at least gives you last choice, as my OH discovered a while ago.
Old Dec 18, 17, 4:06 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post
Not sure what price a person pays for their ticket has to do with the topic, and they can't really disagree with my own personal experience because that is fact. I am pleased quite simply because there is no reason for me to be displeased.
Quite simply, a F passenger has concerns based on previous flights and they shouldn't need to have that.
As a single flyer, with high status, you will generally get first preference, but that doesn't mean others do.
Old Dec 18, 17, 5:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK View Post

Iíve never not been given my first choice appetiser (or main course for that matter), and the same can be said for my family members travelling with me. Whilst Iím sure there are occasions where a first choice may not be available, like with other airlines, it is not a very common occurrence.
I'm in the same position, but I'd say that's more a benefit of status, so perhaps not the best benchmark. Our little ivory tower doesn't necessarily extend to the rest of the cabin
Old Dec 18, 17, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia View Post
I like my steak blue,
Amen to that!
choosethedrew likes this.
Old Dec 18, 17, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Aus_Mal View Post
Quite simply, a F passenger has concerns based on previous flights and they shouldn't need to have that.
As a single flyer, with high status, you will generally get first preference, but that doesn't mean others do.
That's not really what you said earlier...
Old Dec 19, 17, 1:29 am

Programs: BD Gold, BAEC Gold, Hilton HHonors
It is sad that a First Class passenger has to post this! Sigh BA, Sigh.
In one post you've summed up a key problem with BA - they aren't prepared to give every F passenger an F experience. Sad times 😔
Old Dec 19, 17, 1:52 am

Originally Posted by clubman View Post
That's not really what you said earlier...
??? Please clarify...
Old Dec 19, 17, 2:05 am

The trouble is the inconsistency. Many crews will ignore CIV status, recognising that many First passengers don't bother with status. Small cabins make it harder as you can see what is going on - I've been in a situation where two sets of two passengers were in the cabin, and the kid in the other couple picked the desert I wanted (and of course BA had only loaded one!). I'm hardly going to pull out my shiny card to deny a kid a desert, but I don't think I'm being unreasonable in wanting BA to load more of each option. Even when you are on the ball, I had a flight where the crew agreed to put a dessert to one side for me to eat later, then come back and say later in the flight they'd given it away by mistake.

I've had situations where I've had to go down to the bistro menu or club world menu - I haven't had to do this on other carrier's F class, and BA won't normally offer any compensation for this. It certainly is worth being prepared - pre-ordering of mains has been a game changer, bring your own food if you want starters/desserts in a lightly loaded cabin, and ask CIHY nicely for the latest service standards to know where to sit and what to say.
Old Dec 19, 17, 2:29 am

Programs: ECH Gold
It is sad that a First Class passenger has to post this! Sigh BA, Sigh.
it is dissapointing, but BA do not have the monopoly on this. Twice this year my first choice main on QR was not avalable due to previous customer selection, and in F on CX my first choice of starter not available.....
Old Dec 19, 17, 2:51 am

Programs: Don't even mention it. Grrrrrrr.
Surely if 4 similar meals in a particular course are ordered then BA can load 4 (or more). It doesn't sound like rocket science to me!
Old Dec 19, 17, 12:17 pm

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
I consider myself lucky to afford to be able to regularly fly in paid F, and when there is no F on board I fly in J. I have noticed that when flying in CW the CSM always asks me my meal choice before other passengers (I am GGL), but when in flying in F no preference is given to me (or any other passenger as far as I can see). In my last 8 sectors inbound to LHR flying F, I have NOT got either my first choice of starter or main. I know it's a 3rd world problem, but it is starting to annoy me given the money I pay for these seats (and I am self employed and pay myself). Now, don't get me wrong, I am not flying for the food. I pay for F because I am very tall and these are the only seats I can actually sleep comfortably in. However, 8 times straight not getting what I want to eat is appalling. I have given up writing to customer service, they don't care and keep telling me that it is impossible to load all meal choices for every F passenger. So I thought, is that actually true?

Guess what, it isn't. I have spoken quietly to the F chef on my last 4 flights and they all told me the same thing: All BA planes that have an F cabin (787, 744, 777, and 380) could easily accommodate carrying the extra food as the main meal is transported in aluminium tins that do not take up a lot of space in themselves. The actual space required to cater all options for every F passenger is not that great (but it would be impossible to do this for J, so i'm told). True, this would equate to a lot of waste (or perhaps happy crew that ALL got to eat F leftovers) but what it really boils down to is cost. BA thinks it can get away with not loading everything (and obviously has gotten away with it in the past) because they have an apparent space "excuse", but until us paying passengers put our foot down and refuse to pay the high prices if we don't get what we paid for nothing is going to change.

For me, I don't really care that much about the food, but it's the shortage of Nespresso and JW Blue that really piss me off. BA only carries 10 capsules of Nespresso per flight, so if you're the last to order a coffee you can easily end up with CW filtered brown water if other F passengers before you have ordered double espressos, and BA only carries one bottle of JW Blue per RETURN flight, so a few heavily drinkers on the outboard plane could easily leave you without any on the return. BA could easily carry more nespresso capsules and JW Blue in F, but they choose not to because they can get away with it. That's really what this is all about.
Old Dec 19, 17, 12:41 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by themax View Post
I have noticed that when flying in CW the CSM always asks me my meal choice before other passengers (I am GGL), but when in flying in F no preference is given to me (or any other passenger as far as I can see). In my last 8 sectors inbound to LHR flying F, I have NOT got either my first choice of starter or main.
This is the way is the way it's supposed to work (priority in J, everybody the same in F).

However, the likes of Tobias-UK and Filthy Monkey both always get their choice, whereas you seldom do. They also always get great service in the CCR, whereas others often complain about slow/non-existent service.

So, either they are telling porkies (very doubtful), or BA is actually prioritising certain very, very high ranking passengers. Nothing wrong with that, but annoying if you've spent mega-bucks on an F ticket and you can't get your £5 starter and £15 main
themax likes this.
Old Dec 19, 17, 12:47 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by themax View Post
True, this would equate to a lot of waste (or perhaps happy crew that ALL got to eat F leftovers) but what it really boils down to is cost. BA thinks it can get away with not loading everything (and obviously has gotten away with it in the past) because they have an apparent space "excuse", but until us paying passengers put our foot down and refuse to pay the high prices if we don't get what we paid for nothing is going to change.
Not many carriers carry all the choices for every F passenger.
I find the level of waste absolutely horrifying if they did so to be honest. If you refuse to fly with carriers that don't, you'd soon run out of options on who to fly with them.

However I do believe much more customisation and pre-ordering before the flight would be warranted, much like SQ do. That way, people won't miss out on their choice, and there will be no waste either.

You must have been exceptionally unlucky not to get your choice as a GGL. I have not heard of many (any??) cases of GGLs missing out on any of their choices, except when they have chosen to dine later and did not specify their preferred dishes to the crew. I certainly have not experienced it myself, whether as a GGL or as a Gold, or non-BA OW Emerald.

But if you have missed out so frequently as you have reported, and advocate voting with one's wallet, I must say I am a little uncertain as to why you have given them so many opportunities to continue to disappoint you.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Dec 19, 17, 1:56 pm

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
But if you have missed out so frequently as you have reported, and advocate voting with one's wallet, I must say I am a little uncertain as to why you have given them so many opportunities to continue to disappoint you.
As I said, the food is not that important to me and AA First is not nearly as good as BA F (which is my other choice on the MIA/LHR route). Saying that, I have started to fly on AC in J on the YYZ/LHR route because of the BA lounge closure fiasco at YYZ, and the AC J product is getting pretty close to BA F (and their new Signature Suite at YYZ is better then the LHR CCR in my opinion). AC doesn't have a F cabin so a direct comparison to BA F is not possible.

Last edited by themax; Dec 19, 17 at 1:57 pm Reason: clarification
Old Dec 27, 17, 9:59 am

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), SPG Gold, Hilton Diamond, AC nobody (thankfully)

You must have been exceptionally unlucky not to get your choice as a GGL. I have not heard of many (any??) cases of GGLs missing out on any of their choices, except when they have chosen to dine later and did not specify their preferred dishes to the crew.
I mentioned in another thread that on 2/4 of my last F sectors, I didnít get my first choice either, as a GGL (think you commented on it somewhere as well . Anyways, this is despite sitting in row 1. On one flight from NRT, they had loaded 3 beefs for 8 pax! Not sure if they have changed their service standards wrt meal prioritisation for GGL or Golds, but on 2 sectors after that, it has been OK. However, @themax is definitely not the only GGL out there...

Search this Thread