Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[Fog] Disruption Likely London 19th December 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:33 am
Original Poster

Significant fog in the forecast for Heathrow, developing overnight tonight with a high probability of 200M visibility horizontally and zero vertically by the start of the morning rush.

Lifting slowly late late morning but possibly returning as the sun goes down later in the day.

Disruption of some degree a certainty if it appears as forecast I’d have thought.

Raw TAF if you like that sort of thing...

TAF EGLL 181057Z 1812/1918 34005KT 9999 FEW040 BECMG 1816/1819 5000 BR BECMG 1819/1822 2000 MIFG PROB30 1822/1824 0200 FG VV/// PROB40 1900/1903 0200 FG VV/// BECMG 1903/1906 0200 FG FZFG VV/// BECMG 1910/1913 3000 BR BKN003 PROB30 1913/1917 0500 FG VV///

Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:49 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by Scott Pilgrim
a high probability of 200M visibility horizontally and zero vertically
Interesting - is some fog more opaque depending on which angle you view it from?

(I'm not saying you're wrong, just wondering about the physics of it...)
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:15 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by Deltus
Interesting - is some fog more opaque depending on which angle you view it from?

Usually refers to the thickness of the fog. You can get shallow layers of fog which allow you to see up (or down) through them but not along them, or at an angle.

Edit to add: Which can be really frustrating for passengers as they go round the hold above the destination, able to clearly see down to the runway, terminal and car park lights, but are told they cannot land due to the poor visibility.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Deltus

VV/// = vertical visibility sky obscured

Also maybe google slant visibility for more information.

Old Dec 18, 2017, 6:14 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
At least BA have some recent experience to look back upon should things go south rather quickly. Sure they won't make the same mistakes twice
Old Dec 18, 2017, 6:36 am

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Fingers crossed- this is not a good time of year to have major IRROPS.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Likely to be an issue at LCY?

Not due to land til 6pm, so fingers crossed!
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Important update: customer guidelines issued

A customer guideline / advisory has just been issued, if you are travelling tomorrow 19 December 2017 you can rebook to today or Wednesday 20 December to Friday 22 December inclusive. It applies to all 3 airports, LHR, LCY and LGW are all included. This applies to 125 tickets at this stage, however it also includes AY, IB and AA flights. AA and IB ticketed advisories will follow shortly in my experience.

- If you are leaving tomorrow morning in particular and can go today I would advise you to do this if you can, particularly if it's a domestic. / usual Europe suspects
- Redemptions and Trade tickets can be rebooked, as well as revenue. Ring a contact centre, you may need to advise the agent of this advisory since it's only just come out
- The above applies to flights still showing as operating, I think there is a chance that a chunk of tomorrow's schedule will be proactively cancelled, check here around 17:00 hrs or so
BA.com/arrdep
Cancelled flights get further rebooking allowances, but also get the ability to apply for a involuntary refund.

This replaces my original post.

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Dec 18, 2017 at 7:40 am
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:34 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Are there any potential issues for Friday / Saturday?
Got flights from LBA on Friday and this would possibly be something that might be affected either ongoing weather wise or a knock on effect.
DUS on Saturday but that has flexibility.

7 day weather reports aren't quite as in-depth.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:37 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS, Carlson, IHG Gold
Due in tomorrow at 09:10 on the BA947 from MUC, should I be scrambling now to get on something this evening!?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:42 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by JustPete
Due in tomorrow at 09:10 on the BA947 from MUC, should I be scrambling now to get on something this evening!?
Yes, in your shoes I would, however I think that's a night stopper (?) so it will probably depart, just potentially late.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:45 am

I'm not seeing anything (obvious) on their website or anything on their twitter about it, if I call up, are they likely to be in the know about this?
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:48 am

Originally Posted by JustPete
I'm not seeing anything (obvious) on their website or anything on their twitter about it, if I call up, are they likely to be in the know about this?
Hopefully yes, but see post 8 about how you may need to broach this with Contact Centre staff. You have a head start here.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:50 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Hopefully yes, but see post 8 about how you may need to broach this with Contact Centre staff. You have a head start here.
Great thanks for this! Am travelling with my VP, so will go broach this subject with him now!!!
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:57 am

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
I'm booked to fly LHR-EDI on Tuesday's 08.55, but main meeting is Wednesday moring so I am happy to go later. Do we have any info on whether afternoon flights are likely to run to schedule if I call up now to change to one?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.