Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

[Fog] Disruption Likely London 19th December 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Fog] Disruption Likely London 19th December 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2017, 2:12 pm

First hurdle, managed to check in online
Old Dec 18, 2017, 3:16 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, BA Silver, Hertz President's Club
Originally Posted by ttama
In case it helps anyone, I was due to fly LCY-DUB a couple of years ago when flights out of LCY were cancelled due to fog. The BA staff were amazing, swapped us to a LHR flight and put us in a prepaid cab to LHR, and then rebooked us onto a later flight from there after we arrived at LHR too late to catch the first one. Tomorrow sounds like it may be a more complicated situation (I'm keeping an eye on this thread as I'm flying SFO-LHR tomorrow) so I hope things work out well for everyone.
Something similar happened to me (nearly) exactly this time last year. LCY-DUB in the morning, DUB-LCY in the evening. The am. flight was cancelled, and it was the first part of a ex-EU itinerary. They rebooked me onto one of the last seats from LGW-DUB with EI, gave me a prepaid taxi, and a food voucher (Ł10) and reimbursed some of my LGW expenses. I arrived just in time to catch my return flight back.

At the moment: BA has cancelled approx. 70 flights in/out of LHR tommorow. The arrival rate at Heathrow has also been limited to 29 per hour until 10:00am, but potentially reducing/increasing depending on the exact conditions.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA
There is tactical cancellations for tomorrow. 36 return flights have been cancelled.

Last edited by BABenchley; Dec 18, 2017 at 3:31 pm
Old Dec 18, 2017, 3:25 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BABenchley
There is tactical cancellation for tomorrow. 36 return flights have been cancelled.
Thanks for that update, so that's just over 10% of BA's departures (though a rather higher percentage of the shorthaul services) compared to 40-50% for the two snow-ice days last week.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by EsherFlyer
Hmmm. On EF it looks like everything after midday is zeroed out except for full J fare, but before midday is normal. Does that mean that they're trying to operate as normal in morning, but keeping capacity later on to pick up IRROPS?
No, it means they've protected space on the afternoon flights in case they need it for rebooking from the morning cancellations they think are likely.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 3:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver; Hilton Diamond;a miscellany of other hotel non-statuses
Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
No, it means they've protected space on the afternoon flights in case they need it for rebooking from the morning cancellations they think are likely.
I think that's what I meant .

In the end it is more afternoon than morning EDI flights cancelled, so the zeroing out may have been more to let them rejig across those flights rather than give space to accomodate from morning.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Thanks for that update, so that's just over 10% of BA's departures (though a rather higher percentage of the shorthaul services) compared to 40-50% for the two snow-ice days last week.
Thank you for the update.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: ba exec club Gold
Originally Posted by Morph90
Reckon LH routes will be affected? I'm on 15:50 LHR-LAS. Advisory only states SH at this time.

Cheers
Doesn’t seem to be affected as I’m on this flight also and it’s still on time 😀
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:03 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
For those wanting to know why there are cancellations and delays in fog even when the runways and aircraft can have autolands, here is a very interesting post written by Heathrow Tower written last year Why are there delays in fog?

Also post 52 of that thread there is some information about how pro-active reductions are done.
PETER01, 20Rothmans and RG1X like this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:16 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by KARFA
For those wanting to know why there are cancellations and delays in fog even when the runways and aircraft can have autolands, here is a very interesting post written by Heathrow Tower written last year Why are there delays in fog?

Also post 52 of that thread there is some information about how pro-active reductions are done.
That's a very good point KARFA, good luck for anyone travelling tomorrow!
Old Dec 18, 2017, 5:53 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
Originally Posted by KARFA

says page not found

edit: nvm works now 😊
Old Dec 18, 2017, 7:11 pm

Programs: BA Gold
For those in the south trying to get away to start ex-eu(s) trips etc the two hilltop airfields in the south are often the best place to look.
Bristol might be a better option for today (19th). Current forecast there is no worse than 4KM of visibility up until about 2100 tonight then getting foggy overnight.
Luton is forecasting 8km most of the day but with a possibility of 300 m in freezing fog before about 9am.

The other low airfields:
Stansted is forecasting being out of the fog by 0900 but that is unlikely to be early enough to not disrupt the first arrivals and thus second wave departures.
Gatwick is in the mist already with freezing fog to come by about 0300 and remaining till 11 ish if lucky and the afternoon if not.
Birmingham might just stay out of the fog with 7km vis but equally may get 200 m till lunchtime.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:30 am
Ziz

Programs: BA Silver
1140 flight to YYZ showing 20 min delayed due to late arriving aircraft from Boston (1hr late). Not bad all things considered and could go down to no delay at all. I must admit I wouldn't mind more time in the CCR anyway!
florens likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:38 am

Programs: OWS, *A G
Latest METAR reports freezing fog with 2900m visibility, temp. visibility at 500m and vertical visibility not measurable. Generally speaking the area looks good and there's a constant stream of aircraft on the glide path.
Old Dec 19, 2017, 12:48 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Just landed a couple of hours ago in AMS from SUB/HKG. Booked a good buffer from the CX arrival to the BA departure and was contemplating asking if any chance to change to earlier flights but didn’t bother as I doubted it would have cost as going onwards to GLA. Could really do with getting home as soon as possible today. Have been suffering from a bad bout of gastroenteritis and really don’t want to be stuck either here in AMS or LHR any longer than I need to be (or I might just cry).

Checked in at the AMS desk this morning and now wish I had said I would be willing to move to earlier flights. Have got checked luggage so that would complicate things.

Only just on FT now and seen this thread at the top of the page ��

Would. It be worthwhile speaking to the lounge staff here?

S

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.