Hi all!

I have a question about my silver tier.

Current status
Tier : Silver
TPs : 645
TP cllection Year ends : 8 Jan 2018
Card expiry date : 28 Feb 2018
Eligible flights : 3

I know that I need to fly one more BA eligible flight till 8 Jan 2018 to extend 1 year more my silver tier.
And I have a journey in Feb 2018 and I can collect more than 600 TPs and 4 eligible flights from it.

So is below right?

If I fly one more eligible flight till 8 Jan 2018 then Can I get two year silver tier extension till 8 Jan 2020?
(Current status + One eligible flight effect till 8 Jan 2019.
Journey in Feb 2018 effect till 8 Jan 2020 because new tier collection year will be from 9 Jan 2018 to 8 Jan 2019.)

Then what if I skip one eligible flight till 8 Jan 2018? My tier will be down to bronze from 9 Jan 2018. And what happens after I finish my journey in Feb? Will I get a silver tier only till 8 Jan 2019? Is this right?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 5:51 pm

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
I think it may be simpler than you think.

There is a bug in the BA app that only counts eligible flights since you went up a tier. So, if you flew at least one flight as b;ue/bronze and have since flown three as silver, you're all good and you have your four eligible flights for the year and there's no need to fly another one.

If you qualified as silver before 8 Jan 2017 and you genuinely only have three eligible flights on BA this year, you will be silver until 28 February 2018.

If, during February 2018, you fly 600TP and four eligible flights, you will requalify for silver before dropping down to bronze, in which case you will have silver until 28 February 2020 regardless.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cymro
I think it may be simpler than you think.

There is a bug in the BA app that only counts eligible flights since you went up a tier. So, if you flew at least one flight as b;ue/bronze and have since flown three as silver, you're all good and you have your four eligible flights for the year and there's no need to fly another one.

If you qualified as silver before 8 Jan 2017 and you genuinely only have three eligible flights on BA this year, you will be silver until 28 February 2018.

If, during February 2018, you fly 600TP and four eligible flights, you will requalify for silver before dropping down to bronze, in which case you will have silver until 28 February 2020 regardless.
So I can have silver tier till 28 Feb 2020 whether I fly 1 eligible flight before 8 Jan 2018 or not, right?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:36 pm

Correct, you would fail to retain Silver this year and be due to drop to bronze but regain it before you actually lose it. Depending on when your trip is you may have a bronze card sent but would get silver back straight away.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by hypercrypt
Correct, you would fail to retain Silver this year and be due to drop to bronze but regain it before you actually lose it. Depending on when your trip is you may have a bronze card sent but would get silver back straight away.

Sounds cool!

So is that like this?
If I don't fly 1 eligible flight till 8 Jan 2018 then I will drop down to bronze from 9 Jan.

1. 600 TPs and 4 eligible flights between 9 Jan to 28 Feb will get me have silver tier till 28 Feb 2020.

2. 600 TPs and 4 eligible flights from 1 Mar will get me have silver tier only till 28 Feb 2019.

Do I understand correctly?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:30 pm

Programs: SK EBG, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by 100soo
Sounds cool!

So is that like this?

If I don't fly 1 eligible flight till 8 Jan 2018 then I will drop down to bronze from 9 Jan?
​​​​​​
​​​​​No. Your status will still be good until the end of January (this is standard for BAEC - status lasts until the end of the month of your tier point collection year).

Originally Posted by 100soo
1. 600 TPs and 4 eligible flights between 9 Jan to 28 Feb will get me have silver tier till 28 Feb 2020.

2. 600 TPs and 4 eligible flights from 1 Mar will get me have silver tier only till 28 Feb 2019.

Do I understand correctly?
Only partly ... In both cases you will have silver status to the end of Feb 2020. Tier points are counted in the 12 month period starting on the 9th of a month regardless of what status you have at any point.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:37 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by GinFizz
​​​​​No. Your status will still be good until the end of January (this is standard for BAEC - status lasts until the end of the month of your tier point collection year).

Only partly ... In both cases you will have silver status to the end of Feb 2020. Tier points are counted in the 12 month period starting on the 9th of a month regardless of what status you have at any point.
That is somewhat incorrect. OP will have status until end of Feb 2018 not JAnuary.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:38 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by GinFizz
BAEC status expires at the end of the month following the month in which your TP-collection year expires, so the OP would retain Silver status until 28 Feb 2018 with a TP year ending 08 Jan 2018.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:43 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
OP, let’s assume you don’t fly an eligible flight on or before 8/1/18 you will drop to bronze at the end of the following month 28/2/18. You would remain bronze until 28/2/19 when you would drop to blue.

If you fly one more eligible flight on or before 8/1/18 you will retain silver for the rest of your current membership year (membership collection year ends 8/1-18 and card until 28/2/18) and for the whole of the following year. You will remain silver until 28/2/19 and then drop to bronze until 28/2/20.

If you then fly 4 eligible flights and gain 600TPs after 9/1/18 you will regain silver. You will have this for the rest of your membership year and the following year (until 28/2/20). If you fly these flights and earn the TPs before 28/2/18 you will remain silver throughout.

Personally if the flights in Feb are guaranteed to eligible and you will earn the required TPs I would just leave it and get the status at this point.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 1:17 am
Original Poster

Thanks all!
No need to fly 1 eligible flight right now. I'll do it in Feb.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 2:16 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Sorry to hijack the thread but I too am trying to get my head around all this... perhaps someone can tell me if I have this right...

When you acquire status it remains valid from when you acquire it to the end of that tier point year and then to the end of the month of the expiry of the following tier point year. So, if my tier point year end say, June 2nd 2018 and I acquire Silver status on 1st Nov 2017 then I keep Silver until 30th June 2020.

If I then did a tier point run between 2nd June 2020 and 30th June 2020 to get me Silver again I would then get another 2 years of Silver. That way I only need to fly every 2 years to keep status... between the end of my tier point year and the end of that month.

Is this correct? I am entering a period of no flying for a while and want to know what I have to do to keep status with the minimum flying.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 2:35 am

Programs: BA Gold (ex-GGL, maybe future Silver), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
Sorry to hijack the thread but I too am trying to get my head around all this... perhaps someone can tell me if I have this right...

When you acquire status it remains valid from when you acquire it to the end of that tier point year and then to the end of the month of the expiry of the following tier point year. So, if my tier point year end say, June 2nd 2018 and I acquire Silver status on 1st Nov 2017 then I keep Silver until 30th June 2020.

If I then did a tier point run between 2nd June 2020 and 30th June 2020 to get me Silver again I would then get another 2 years of Silver. That way I only need to fly every 2 years to keep status... between the end of my tier point year and the end of that month.

Is this correct? I am entering a period of no flying for a while and want to know what I have to do to keep status with the minimum flying.
Nearly. If you acquired silver on 1 November 2017 then you would get the rest of your TP year + 1 full year + the ~8-week wind-down period - so that's 2019, not 2020. The wind-down period ends on 31 July for a TP year ending in June, not 30 July. So your target for a QR ex-EU plus 40TP from four BA flights would be between 9 June 2019 and about 20 July 2019 (to give time for the TPs to post). This does rather assume that the BA tier point model hasn't changed by then...
snaxmuppet likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 3:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Your tier point collection year would end on the 8th of a month. Your status ends basically the end of the following month

Acquiring silver in November 2017 on a tier point collection year ending June 2018 Would give you status through end of July 2019.
You could potentially fly between June and July 2019 to get the status to keep the status beyond July 2019.

If you are not flying there is not a lot of point in having the status.
Old Dec 18, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by scottishpoet
Your tier point collection year would end on the 8th of a month. Your status ends basically the end of the following month

Acquiring silver in November 2017 on a tier point collection year ending June 2018 Would give you status through end of July 2019.
You could potentially fly between June and July 2019 to get the status to keep the status beyond July 2019.

If you are not flying there is not a lot of point in having the status.
Many thanks.

I agree... No point in having status if not flying at all but I am keen to keep status if I can do it without huge cost as my wife is a historian and we need to keep open the option of travel for research. That may not happen next year much but probably will ramp up the year after and quite possibly at short notice. Like this year, we had 3 trips to the USA at just a few weeks notice. I will want status then and it may not be easy to get it at short notice. I would prefer to keep the status active if poss... just my preference I suppose
Old Dec 18, 2017, 2:01 pm

Given the OP's situation, one BA sector before January 8 2018 would result in qualification for Silver status for the rest of the current year (up to February 28th 2018) and the whole of the following year (up to February 28th 2019), irrespective of any further qualifying flights.

600 TP and four BA sectors at any time between January 9th 2018 and January 8th 2019 would result in Silver status up to February 29th 2020.

If one can collect the necessary TP and flights in the window between the end of one's collection year and card expiry, then it would be possible to keep status for two years with one set of TP and flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.