The real value of Avios

Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
The real value of Avios

HWMBO and I were going on about where to go for Christmas and New Year. Many options discussed, with cash, avios, whatever. In the end we booked F to SCL using a GUF2 and a Joker. It came to something north of 2k in taxes and 400k Avios for both of us.

We have now found a „cheapish“ QR flight in J to South East Asia for 3.5k for the both of us and cancelled the SCL flights. I know this is comparing apples and oranges: But with discount business flights now more widely available than avios redemptions: Is there any point left in redeeming Avios on anything other than RFS?
jonkx likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by LCY8737
HWMBO and I were going on about where to go for Christmas and New Year. Many options discussed, with cash, avios, whatever. In the end we booked F to SCL using a GUF2 and a Joker. It came to something north of 2k in taxes and 400k Avios for both of us.

We have now found a „cheapish“ QR flight in J to South East Asia for 3.5k for the both of us and cancelled the SCL flights. I know this is comparing apples and oranges: But with discount business flights now more widely available than avios redemptions: Is there any point left in redeeming Avios on anything other than RFS?
I would say the taxes and avios are pretty maxed out on the SCL price but we are talking going at very short notice
This is BAs longest route and doesn't run daily
The way I look at it is £1000 rtn in F each is good value on the 789
if you are A GGL surely you are avios rich

The main question always for me is
1. where do I want to actually go
2. Does the avios deal maean i can fly premium for a decent price
3. Does my total avois balance allow me to blow the required number of avios

A bargin price in Qatar J is actually costing you double , in a lower class to somewhere you dont want to go :-)

Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I’m LAS bound next week in F on a 2-4-1. Had the decent 2 for 2018 (or whatever...) come around I would have absolutely cancelled and booked cash J

However £1,200 for two F return LAS and maybe 200,000 Avios is still a very handsome deal
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:32 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Actually, you have provided a robust example of just how valuable redemptions can be, in that you were able to cancel a First redemption ticket at the last minute and opt for a plan B without penalty. It really isn't as perverse as it may sound since you cannot do this in reverse.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:33 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by allturnleft
A bargin price in Qatar J is actually costing you double , in a lower class to somewhere you dont want to go :-)
I may sometimes be a little precious, but QR J is good enough for me. I even tried to use the joker to go to BKK on BA - but the earliest return opportunity would have been on the 8th (I guess the route is very popular with GGLs).

So I now have an additional cash outlay of £1.5k, which saves 400k avios and even gets me new avios coming in (some QR flights are on BA code - so even come with tier bonuses!)
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:43 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Is there not a way of reducing the APD on F redemptions...starting in Dublin for example?

M
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:45 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher

I may sometimes be a little precious, but QR J is good enough for me. I even tried to use the joker to go to BKK on BA - but the earliest return opportunity would have been on the 8th (I guess the route is very popular with GGLs).

So I now have an additional cash outlay of £1.5k, which saves 400k avios and even gets me new avios coming in (some QR flights are on BA code - so even come with tier bonuses!)
Popular, but also one of the 'go to' backups for when HKG, SIN and KUL are full and thus no redemptions either!

M
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

JER or INV will reduce it by £150ish

But when not TP running I’d always go direct, especially a shorter trip
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:48 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Is there any point left in redeeming Avios on anything other than RFS?
There are carriers within OW without much YQ. Redeeming Avios on them is rather worthwhile.

Joker can be really useful for 'emergency' flights when I need something at a short notice.

As I do not fly with a very large number of carriers based on various moral objections, my options are somewhat limited, and so Joker on BA can be of enormous use (especially considering I flip back and forth between Europe and Australia all the time, pretty much literally).

I have just literally saved c. £2,500 with Avios. I needed to be somewhere, and I was going to pay cash for J (no F on the route unless I go indirect), but I found redemption seats on a OW carrier that I was going to fly with anyway, so I took that. Low YQ made the savings greater but even if the YQ level was similar to BA, it would still have saved me c. £2,000. This is a genuine cash saving as I wasn't looking to go somewhere with Avios, but I had to go somewhere and was prepared to pay cash, but happened to find an Avios seat.

Another great use of Avios is of course for one-way flights when they only offer full fare for one-ways. That can be really useful, as I had done many times.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Dec 17, 2017 at 11:55 am
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
"Is there any point left in redeeming Avios on anything other than RFS?"

When in Europe, I've only used Avios for RFS redemptions, and for short-haul flights on AB when AB still existed.

But here in the States, Avios can provide exceptional value, especially for last-minute nonstop and other "direct" flights on AA, AS, and LATAM within the Americas. (And there are no surcharges for Avios travel on LATAM anywhere in the world.)
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:58 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Upgrade using Avios from WTP to CW generally gets 2 pence value per Avios, sometimes a lot more if booked off places like CPH or INV. Also single fares were there is a bundled return fare system and/or differential Carrier Surcharges. Gold Priority Rewards when fares are sky high. Then there are all the strange little tricks and treats (e.g. IB from USA to Europe). Last minute deals to expensive places (e.g. CPT or SYD in CW). Quite a lot really.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:10 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)

Assuming (from your FlyerTalk name) you are London based, why was it north of £2000 in taxes? SCL should only be £572.21 per person and (off-peak) 210,000 Avios.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK

Assuming (from your FlyerTalk name) you are London based, why was it north of £2000 in taxes? SCL should only be £572.21 per person and (off-peak) 210,000 Avios.
Apologies, Tobias-UK is absolutely right. I have confused the for 1 or 2 on this one. The charge was actually £562.77 each. Not cheap, but clearly not as bad as I thought.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

£560 is a bargain - a shame you couldn’t have 2-4-1 then this would’ve been a pretty decent deal
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I suspect your thread title would have read ''I LOVE AVIOS'' if you really had to travel to SCL during the festive period.
Cymro likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.