Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

My Impressions of T5 security - it may just be me!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

My Impressions of T5 security - it may just be me!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:20 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
Honestly I think pretty much all of the UK airport security staff I encounter are grumpy to rude, on the Strop Index.
Usually Gold Wing works fine for me - the connections security at T5 is the team that I totally avoid now.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:30 am

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
That said I find T3 fast track consistently amazing
Really? T5 staff are grumpy, but the T3 connections experience is poor (especially for fast-track passengers) and the staff are nearly as grumpy as their T5 colleagues. That being said, I cannot remember the last time i used the 'normal' T3 security - I'm normally on a transfer from a flight or a bus into T3.

Originally Posted by lost_in_translation
Anyone who complains about T5 security clearly hasn't flown from MAN recently! In my experience, the other passengers in T5 F Wing are far ruder than the staff...
This. MAN T3 is the worst, with MAN T1 not far behind (at least I get the 'benefit' of fast-track going through there! The poor folks in the regular line get a raw deal.
Markie and florens like this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:38 am

Friendly in the F wing in October.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:07 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
My infrequent experiences of Manchester security supports the idea that they are the most obnoxious, hostile, yet inefficient bunch of sour sods that ever staffed a security checkpoint.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:13 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by flatlander
My infrequent experiences of Manchester security supports the idea that they are the most obnoxious, hostile, yet inefficient bunch of sour sods that ever staffed a security checkpoint.
Yeah, but I think Liam's off on tour now.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:19 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
My dearest Pucci, if you struggle with first wing security at T5 it may be time to take that stern look off your face and stop threatening staff with your hairbrush. As far as faults go, many things can be said about Heathrow, but First Wing security isn‘t one of them. One would think that having moved past 25 you‘d mellow down a little...
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:54 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I've had good and bad experiences at both Heathrow (all terminals) and Gatwick, in both fast track and slow track, and neither stands out as being particularly better or worse than the other.

The F wing has been good, sometimes they look a bit bored but as long as they let me get through quickly I won't complain.

LCY security people are consistently rude to me, perhaps it's because so many people are wearing business attire when they go through and I am always dressed casually.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:50 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Must say, on all my security clearances at T5 this year, I have always used North Fast Track and was actually wondering if they had all gone to Charm School since my last two visits in 2016. Not saying they were going around spreading the love but I personally detected an attitude readjustment.

However, in my personal view, they will never beat security at GLA. Always has service with a smile there.

S
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:55 am

deleted
KeaneJohn likes this.

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 6:59 am
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:59 am
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by markle
I can't say I've found T5 security staff to be actively egregious.

However, I have a big pet peeve about the boarding pass scanner before each x-ray.

One of their KPIs is queue time. It's measured as the time between boarding pass scan at the entry to security and boarding pass scan at the scanner by the x-ray.

If queues are short, staff insist you scan your BP again by the x-ray. If the queue are long, they don't. It's a really annoying way to skew their KPI performance - net result is I end up making sure I always scan my BP if the queues are long.
This year alone during all of my visits, I’ve not once been asked to scan my boarding pass once and queues have always been short at North Security.

S
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:02 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by markle
net result is I end up making sure I always scan my BP if the queues are long.
There is none of that at the First Wing. However, I find staff often pressure you to scan your boarding pass well before the spot becomes vacant as well. I find that quite annoying and it's met with my response "Of course, I would be delighted to do that when it's my turn to load the tray". I haven't had anyone try to push me into scanning it there and then after that response.

I make the point of scanning it when the queue is long too, and I also make the point of pressing the button on the feedback machine when the queue is long, or the staff are horrid to people (some are horrid to frail old people being slow - it makes my blood boil).
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:05 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
fRA is my home airport and I considered their security staff rude, impolite and in the whole inefficient. Nevertheless I prefer them to LHR T5. One of my reason for avoiding using LHR as a connection point is due to the security checkpoint and the attitude of the staff.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Really? T5 staff are grumpy, but the T3 connections experience is poor (especially for fast-track passengers) and the staff are nearly as grumpy as their T5 colleagues. That being said, I cannot remember the last time i used the 'normal' T3 security - I'm normally on a transfer from a flight or a bus into T3.

This. MAN T3 is the worst, with MAN T1 not far behind (at least I get the 'benefit' of fast-track going through there! The poor folks in the regular line get a raw deal.

i had had an interesting experience e at MAN T3. I rarely fly on business within the uk but on this occasion I was returning to. London from MAN. I had my usual work bag which inadvertently contained an aerosol larger than 100ml. The bag got identified for secondary screening and initially trays were taking the bags in order from the scanner runners, then this got backed up so my bag which was next in line to be scanned then got put to the back of 12 bags in the middle. They did prioritise understandably those with immediate departures but I was waiting 30 minutes. Then that set of bags were put to the back of another queue. I asked to speak to someone in charge and was passed from pillar to post and spoken to very rudely by a person who said it was my fault for leaving the item in a bag so they wouldn’t log a complaint or feedback from me,

i was was really annoyed so tweeted to this effect from the lounge. To the credit of MAnchester airport they responded immediately, knowing that airports have duty managers so asked if there was anybody that I could speak to. They said they would send someone to the lounge and it happened to be one of the guys that had palmed me off to mr.horrible. After an awkward greeting we had a frank and honest conversation and he apologised for the situation. To his further credit he went away and reviewed CCTV and confirmed that SOP had not been followed with a higher than usual number of items to be secondary screened and a rotation of duties making things worse.He did say it was a busy Friday evening and to be fair it was that but I said to him that I had seen other airports busier that coped better. My next experience of MAN T3 was better but still the worst. Glad my experiences are not unique.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold; Priority Club Gold
Manchester T3 is by far the worst in the UK now. I agree T1 is not far behind. T2 can be OK, but can also be rubbish. Manchester has all the ingredients for a miserable experience - terrible space, surly staff who work at a snail's pace, stupidly designed machines, and ridiculous over-sensitivity such that vast numbers of bags need secondary screening.

It has taken over from where T5 used to be. Only certain German and US airports come close to the MAN experience these days.
Markie, Gerbs, Silver Fox and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:12 pm

Programs: VS Flying Club (Gold), BA Exec Club (Silver), Hilton Honors (Diamond)
I have to echo the thoughts about Gatwick, always had a pleasant security experience there in the North terminal, South was a bit iffy when I flew out of there in July though.

T3 at Heathrow has always been great for me, but then I do only ever go through the Upper Class Wing!
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.