Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Scrambled eggs in LHR lounges

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:30 am

The liquid egg products I have seen only contain eggs, which have been filtered and pasteurised, so no nasties. Given the choice, I'd still prefer fresh eggs, but to be honest I doubt I would be able to tell the difference in omelettes, scrambled eggs, quiches etc.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 7:58 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I don't mean to break your dreams, but I'm afraid Fleming was merely plagiarising Escoffier's 19th century modern French recipe for scrambled eggs. "Modern" because as pointed out by Escoffier himself, the classic recipe only tolerated cooking the scrambled eggs in a bain marie and serving them in a 'timbale' and Escoffier considered that with low enough heat you could do away with the bain marie as long as indeed you added the remainng butter at the end of the cooking process.
Dont worry I am immune after the terrible shock of seeing Bond in Mamma Mia.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 8:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

At home I only scramble eggs sourced from the happy hen farm. In an airport lounge I would never expect the same quality.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by madfish
Not a fan of eggs (or should that be ‘egg’) Benedict.
I have never had a problem asking for two eggs and getting them
LondonAndy likes this.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by scottishpoet
I have never had a problem asking for two eggs and getting them
Eggscellent ^
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:19 am
Suspended

Are some people here kidding? Whether in flight or in the airport, anyone who likes food does not expect to find anything above a ranking of 'barely edible'.

I'm reminded of a travel forum thread on which someone was saying how wonderful the '5 star' all-inclusive package vacation hotel they had stayed at was. Her criteria for determining it was wonderful, was that they served chicken fingers for her kids! Does anyone know of any 5 star restaurants that serve chicken fingers?

Here's how it works. I am not aware of any Michelin starred restaurants included in all-inclusive package holidays or any Michelin starred restaurants in airports or on an airplane. Having expectations that are unrealistic simply results in disappointment unless you have very low expectations as the woman in the example above obviously did. Be realistic in your expectations.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 9:37 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by dulciusexasperis
or any Michelin starred restaurants in airports or on an airplane.
Top Air restaurant in Stuttgart Airport has had a Michelin star and has been well graded by Gault Millau for as long as I can remember. It's on level 4 of T1, BA uses T3 (and it's actually all one building).
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Two fried eggs is the British way, doncha know ?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Top Air restaurant in Stuttgart Airport has had a Michelin star and has been well graded by Gault Millau for as long as I can remember. It's on level 4 of T1, BA uses T3 (and it's actually all one building).

That's why I wrote, 'that I am aware of' corporate-wage-slave. But I don't think the exception disproves the general rule. Airlines have served 'rubber chicken' since the dawn of time and airports have served sub-standard food for above average prices for probably just as long.

The point is that it's all about managing expectations. If your expectations are not in line with reality, reality isn't about to change, so it's about changing your expectations. Complaining that an airport lounge uses egg substitute products is like complaining about a McDonald's egg mcmuffin as far as I am concerned. I don't expect more from McDonald's than they provide in terms of quality.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:50 am

Programs: *A
Surely there's a lot of room on the spectrum between McDonald's and Michelin stars for decent scrambled eggs.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 10:59 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I quite like their California benedict with mashed avocado.
I like that one too. It's pretty nice.

I sometimes ask for poached eggs with smoked salmon instead but by and large if I'm at the CCR in the morning (an act I try to avoid, not due to CCR but due to disliking morning flights in general because it means I have to get up early), California Egg Benedict (or two) is what I have, until it is late enough for me to feel comfortable asking them to give me the lunch food.

I don't generally like scrambled eggs from buffet or restaurants, although I must admit the scrambled eggs in the CE breakfast* was the best scrambled eggs I had on a flight so far, including those cooked on board. I was really shocked, never mind surprised.

*Can't exactly ask for poached eggs in CE
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:34 am

Every time that I've had the scrambled eggs at the LHR CCR (including the CCR arrival section) they have been horrible. Grayish color and bland/disgusting flavor. Not sure what the issue with the supplier is. In the US, even if you use egg mix it wouldn't be like that. I've stopped ordering them so I don't know whether they've improved lately.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, LTG & CCR; IC RA; Hilton D (free from BA)
Well I enjoyed the scrambled egg muffin i had for breakfast before landing this weekend, even knowing it had been the product of many many chicks (plus additives) and not one. I am still alive and it filled a hole.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, *A Gold, IHG Platinum
Hence why I always ask for two poached eggs when I go for the full English option. Never been a problem.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: BA Gold for Life
Coddled eggs are good but a bit of a faff. Poached are my normal choice but I have had tasty scrambled eggs on BA, whatever their origin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.