Creative travel plans (LHR-PRG)

Old Dec 16, 2017, 11:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, Nandos
Creative travel plans (LHR-PRG)

Evening all,

i wondered if anyone has any creative experiences/ideas to travel to Prague? I need to be there for a friends wedding in June and thought I’d use it as an excuse for a bit of TP collecting if the price is right.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old Dec 16, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
I am also in PRG in June and did look into some creative ways to get to PRG from LON , however the combination of hassle,price and time wasn't worth with it along with me not needing to secure any TP's by that time as i would of secured gold for another year by then. So i just booked CE to PRG return , how boring of me i know ...

I looked at flying via HEL with Finnair & MAD on Iberia , was about 150 quid plus/minus difference for those routings if i remember rightly. I did not look to deeply into it as i just did some window shopping out of curiosity to see prices and what was going , but you might find something different.
TPRun likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 12:39 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I think you need to resurrect MA (do you remember that little Hungarian airline?) or AB for this to work relatively efficiently. Sadly neither is an option any more, so I'd say travel direct in CE on BA, or start your journey somewhere else in the UK like NCL, EDI etc and combine it with a trip up there if you want to collect extra TPs. Actually, maybe start at INV to save on the CE APD? So, something like LHR-INV, INV-LHR-PRG-LHR, which should get you 160 TPs for 4 sectors assuming you do this in CE including LHR-INV.

You could... errr... also try doing a TP running involving a proving flight LHR-LAS-LHR-PRG to see if it's LHR-LAS is curvy though (Sorry, couldn't resist!!).
TPRun, orbitmic and dcmike like this.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Dec 16, 2017 at 12:49 pm
Old Dec 16, 2017, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I think you need to resurrect MA (do you remember that little Hungarian airline?) or AB for this to work relatively efficiently. Sadly neither is an option any more, so I'd say travel direct in CE on BA, or start your journey somewhere else in the UK like NCL, EDI etc and combine it with a trip up there if you want to collect extra TPs. Actually, maybe start at INV to save on the CE APD? So, something like LHR-INV, INV-LHR-PRG-LHR, which should get you 160 TPs for 4 sectors assuming you do this in CE including LHR-INV.

You could... errr... also try doing a TP running involving a proving flight LHR-LAS-LHR-PRG to see if it's LHR-LAS is curvy though (Sorry, couldn't resist!!).
WOW - is that really what I'm going to be known for now?!
I'm glad you weren't at the London drinks last night, or I would have been laughed out of the bar....

Coincidentally, I'm going to LAS on Sat, so I'll confirm then.
LTN Phobia and PaulJWoodgate like this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

People's thoughts on this?

Outbound - LHR - NEW - LHR - PRG
Inbound - PRG - LHR - NEW - LHR
6 flights, CE, £659, 240TP & 6,550 Avios

opportunity to knock off £50 by using 7000 avios
or knock off £100 by using 15,000 avios
(or £200 for 36,500 avios which I wouldn't do)

OR should I wait to see if a BA sale happens in the next fortnight or so?

If it's good - is that NCL turnaround doable?

Tnx

Old Dec 16, 2017, 2:47 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by TPRun
Probably the best turnaround in the entire BA network. Walk to the excellent lounge by the gate and then walk back. However on the first sectors it's not a back to back, adding unnecessary risk. Also we benefit from better TP opportunities than that - there are very many ex NCL CE fares going at below £2 per TP. Also all those part pay options are terrible value for money unless you have absolutely no other use for Avios.
TPRun likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 2:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Probably the best turnaround in the entire BA network. Walk to the excellent lounge by the gate and then walk back. However on the first sectors it's not a back to back, adding unnecessary risk. Also we benefit from better TP opportunities than that - there are very many ex NCL CE fares going at below £2 per TP. Also all those part pay options are terrible value for money unless you have absolutely no other use for Avios.
thanks for the response. Anywhere off the top of your head I should use instead? Tnx
Old Dec 16, 2017, 2:57 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
thanks for the response. Anywhere off the top of your head I should use instead? Tnx
Persuade your friends to get married in LUX instead? NCL-LHR-LUX 160 TPs for £275. I think PRG is problematic, it's just not a good value route, there's not enough competition on it. The exception is if it is used as a springboard for third country (ex EU) itineraries that start and end in PRG, such as PRG-LHR-BOS. In other words you would top and tail the wedding with some ex-EU travel.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:00 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Persuade your friends to get married in LUX instead?
Probably not up there with your most helpful advice
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:20 pm
Original Poster

Persuade your friends to get married in LUX instead? NCL-LHR-LUX 160 TPs for £275. I think PRG is problematic, it's just not a good value route, there's not enough competition on it. The exception is if it is used as a springboard for third country (ex EU) itineraries that start and end in PRG, such as PRG-LHR-BOS. In other words you would top and tail the wedding with some ex-EU travel.
we’re good friends, I wonder how that’ll go down...

thanks for the advice.
i could just buy RFS but as I’m in need of TPs, I thought this could be a good way to grab some.
Back to the drawing board I guess
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

Have you tried pricing from EDI ( easy for a b2b). You could go via HEL on Finnair ( but likely to be expensive)

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks TBS...all seems similar to this (EDI/GLA/NCL/MAN etc). Hel would mean more stopovers.

Thanks

Outbound - LHR - NEW - LHR - PRG
Inbound - PRG - LHR - NEW - LHR
6 flights, CE, £659, 240TP & 6,550 Avios

opportunity to knock off £50 by using 7000 avios
or knock off £100 by using 15,000 avios
(or £200 for 36,500 avios which I wouldn't do)

OR should I wait to see if a BA sale happens in the next fortnight or so?

Tnx

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

Have you tried pricing from EDI ( easy for a b2b). You could go via HEL on Finnair ( but likely to be expensive)

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 16, 2017, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA GGL
WOW - is that really what I'm going to be known for now?!
I'm glad you weren't at the London drinks last night, or I would have been laughed out of the bar....

Coincidentally, I'm going to LAS on Sat, so I'll confirm then.
Some things are hard to live down!! I'm afraid you're just going to have to take this one on the chin
Old Dec 16, 2017, 4:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Filthy Monkey

Some things are hard to live down!! I'm afraid you're just going to have to take this one on the chin
I’m just glad it wasn’t a stupid question
Old Dec 16, 2017, 8:41 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
For £600 you could go to Prague 6 times and if on BA, visiting the CX lounge will probably make them lose money on RFS or cheap HBO tickets.
If you're going to LAS why not look for some American domestic TP runs?
TPRun likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.