Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA "to trial free tea and coffee in Euro Traveller" (unconfirmed)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BA "to trial free tea and coffee in Euro Traveller" (unconfirmed)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2017, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: plenty - ggl, ccr, etc, etc.
Originally Posted by Misco60
Chatting to a cabin crew member on a flight earlier today, I was told that British Airways will shortly begin trialling complimentary tea and coffee for all passengers in ET on all but the shortest flights - probably bands 2 to 4.

If this is true (and it is of course unconfirmed, even though the cabin crew member seemed absolutely certain about it) it would represent a significant reversal in policy.
so like SAS have done for yonks.
yet another sign BA is aloof to the market until tried and tested reality catches up.
This comes on top of the seat allocation uturn in May.
It does nt really suggest an airline with its finger on the competitive pulse.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
In the very first BOB Q&A posted on here it stated that water was free, it has never been charged for and no one at BA ever said otherwise. If you think differently, please post a source.
I have no problem drinking tap water. There's too much unnecessary plastic packaging and trucking water round the UK and world as it is. YMMV.
Lest not forget it was never offered (unlike now) until after service was completed, which initially wasn’t guaranteed, so whether it was there or not was rather a moot point.
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 4:53 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Sorry to be a pedant, but they have always kept free water.

True, but I'm thinking as part of the service, perhaps bottled water or filtered water (like from a Brita jug).
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
In the very first BOB Q&A posted on here it stated that water was free, it has never been charged for and no one at BA ever said otherwise. If you think differently, please post a source.
I have no problem drinking tap water. There's too much unnecessary plastic packaging and trucking water round the UK and world as it is. YMMV.
water was free after the main BOB service was completed. On all of my BOB flights this year [7j it was only completed once.. on the earlier flights I saw people that asked for water not provided with it.

This is step if true would be very welcome.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: Mucci de la Cuisine Aérienne du Réseau Courte Durée de British Airways
It is not a trial. This week due to the recent disruption some flights were loaded with complimentary tea and coffee.
Calchas and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:42 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Littlegirl
It is not a trial. This week due to the recent disruption some flights were loaded with complimentary tea and coffee.
Welcome back to the forum, Littlegirl. You’ve been very much missed, lovely to have you back ^
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I only drink tap water at home, but there is a difference between water flowing from main water supply and that trapped in tanks, and basically, the "free water" BA offer is water that all the crew who post on this forum who expressed an opinion so far claimed not to drink themselves. In short, I think that is a good enough indication that BA could invest in large 1.5 litre bottles of free water rather than tank.

PS: to LTNPhobia, Brita style 'purification' would not remove potential bacteria/microorganisms from water (in fact, a study by scientists at UC Berkeley suggested that it adds more bacteria rather than remove any, and another study by Penn State scientists very much the same) though it can improve the taste or make the water less limy, but personally it is more the microorganisms that I am worried about here due to potential issues with the hygiene of the tanks over time and non-circulation of the water within them).

PPS: more importantly, I hope that this ends up being confirmed - I personally think that if BA offered free (bottled) still and sparkling* water, tea and coffee to customers, reactions to BoB would be far less hostile

* the addition of sparkling is nothing to do with necessity and everything to do with shameless lobbying should anyone from BA ever happened to pay attention: it is my addiction of choice - if addiction can be chosen?? - and arguably not more expensive or complicated to store than still water, so I'd love it to be part of the deal!

Last edited by orbitmic; Dec 16, 2017 at 12:15 am
Old Dec 16, 2017, 12:16 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by orbitmic
PS: to LTNPhobia, Brita style 'purification' would not remove potential bacteria/microorganisms from water (in fact, a study by scientists at UC Berkeley suggested that it adds more bacteria rather than remove any, and another study by Penn State scientists very much the same) though it can improve the taste or make the water less limy, but personally it is more the microorganisms that I am worried about here due to potential issues with the hygiene of the tanks over time and non-circulation of the water within them).
That is true - the filter can harbour bacteria and add to it if it's not cared for properly. However, it might help a bit with that chalky water taste from LHR

I'm not really thinking of filtering the tank water, but rather, loading filtered water in sealed jugs (I'm pretty sure I've seen those at QF F lounge), although if they keep the tank clean, it should be fine. I read that BA only load the potable water at approved airports, so it should be OK to drink from the tank, esp. on short haul. I also heard that they clean the tank rather frequently, although I admit not drinking the tank water myself.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Dec 16, 2017 at 12:35 am
Old Dec 16, 2017, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I'm not really thinking of filtering the tank water, but rather, loading filtered water in sealed jugs (I'm pretty sure I've seen those at QF F lounge), although if they keep the tank clean, it should be fine. I read that BA only load the potable water at approved airports, it should be OK to drink from the tank, esp. on short haul. I also heard that they clean the tank rather frequently, although I admit not drinking the tank water myself.
Ah yes, like those big jugs you get in offices and gyms - totally agree, that would work perfectly fine!

And indeed, with the current potable water, the water itself is not the issue (I fully trust that indeed airlines only load in airports with safe potable water), but the tanks I'm less sure about. There is keeping clean and keeping clean for potable water purposes which are quite different, and is harder here as the water is not permanently flowing as it would in regular water pipes. My sense is that to clean tanks sufficiently for them to reach the same standards of safety as filtered/bottled water would just be more expensive than loading it.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 12:33 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
I wonder if they test the water?
Old Dec 16, 2017, 12:46 am

Or as one well known airline chief medical officer wrote in a memo to crew,"no water in xxxx is to be drunk unless it has been personally passed by me."
Calchas and SecondGo like this.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 1:32 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Worcester
I wonder if they test the water?
Yes, they do...on you!

I doubt this is a 'trial', it sounds like they were doing it only for damage limitation last week.

Anyway, wouldn't they crew be sad to see free tea and coffee, they earn commission don't they?
Old Dec 16, 2017, 2:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by orbitmic
* the addition of sparkling is nothing to do with necessity and everything to do with shameless lobbying should anyone from BA ever happened to pay attention: it is my addiction of choice - if addiction can be chosen?? - and arguably not more expensive or complicated to store than still water, so I'd love it to be part of the deal!
^

Yay! I have company

Badoit sounds like a smug Waitrose choice. But it's in my top spot after years of research.

OK, just occasionally a G&T feels more appropriate,
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:06 am

Programs: BA
I haven't heard anything apart from tea and coffee loaded during the disruption for ET as already mentioned.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 3:07 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
that would be welcome news indeed and I had heard too that something was coming (whether for status pax or all).

I do hope this also includes water that doesn't come out of the tap thing at the back that no crew member would ever dream of drinking.

I did laugh out loud this morning when a BA spokesperson said "BA is a premium airline" (in response to their plummeting in the customer satisfaction scores). I don't think this will restore things but will actually improve things for pax. they need to drop this spin of being premium because - as they had planned - they are two different airlines on the same plane: a premium airline in front of the curtain and a LCC behind the curtain. so to have a spokesperson try to tell the once-a-year-ET traveller that BA is 'premium' is stupid.
mikeyfly likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.