Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Electronics on Istanbul departing flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Gold. Iberia Plus Blue, Miles and More Blue, Gulf Blue, Tesco Clubcard, Elite PAL Mabuhay
Originally Posted by PUCCI GALORE
Has anyone asked them outright? If not, I intend to. I'm not the least bit interested what any other airline does, but if BA is doing something different, it would be good to know why. I cannot believe that they are having all those extra staff at the gate for fun.

I have no problem in asking the question, and unless someone has an answer that they have actually given in the last two months, I intend to do so.
My understanding is that the Department for Transport reckons that security at relevant airports is not good enough - and requires additional security screens for UK bound flights in order to allow laptops on board.

At AMM - RJ is willing to pay for these and so gets a waiver. BA isn't and doesn't.

Frankly its BA cutting costs again and delivering an inferior product.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 11:42 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by londonbus
My understanding is that the Department for Transport reckons that security at relevant airports is not good enough - and requires additional security screens for UK bound flights in order to allow laptops on board.

At AMM - RJ is willing to pay for these and so gets a waiver. BA isn't and doesn't.

Frankly its BA cutting costs again and delivering an inferior product.
Exactly what are other airlines doing to meet this requirement in that case, that BA isn't doing?
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: BA Gold. Iberia Plus Blue, Miles and More Blue, Gulf Blue, Tesco Clubcard, Elite PAL Mabuhay
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Exactly what are other airlines doing to meet this requirement in that case, that BA isn't doing?
At AMM:

* Board at depature -60 - you're held in a secure pen.
* Full detailed hand search on hand luggage - laptop swabbed and checked for explosives.

This will cost money - and Mr Cruz is allergic to spending it. You've seen it in aircraft cleanliness and food - now see it in terms of security. As observed on this thread TK spend it at IST and RJ at AMM.

Middle East security tends to be weaker than you'd find in the EU. Quite normal to see the security screener on their phone rather than watching the monitor properly. Quite common at Riyadh.
This weekend I flew RUH-MCT-BOM and it was noticeable the security staff at MCT were doing their job properly which is not normal in the ME.

The DfT has assessed the security measures at other ME locations e.g. DXB/AUH/MCT as being ok and therefore they don't have restrictions on them.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:28 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by londonbus
At AMM:

* Board at depature -60 - you're held in a secure pen.
* Full detailed hand search on hand luggage - laptop swabbed and checked for explosives.
This, by and large, replicates the screening process undertaken at IST for BA flights. When i travelled through IST earlier this month, BA employed 4 dedicated staff members who undertook the role of screening/swabbing hand luggage at the gate pen.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I believe the expensive part is the swabbing/screening of laptops, not of empty backpacks.
Old Dec 17, 2017, 12:44 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
BA chap at IST told me that TK agreed to do secondary screening on 40% of passengers but BA would only go to 25%. Seems odd though as BA check 100% of passengers for electronics so there must be more to it than that.

Then of course is the fact that no other country applies these rules.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.