Wiki Posts
Search

Electronics on Istanbul departing flights

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver / Aegean
Electronics on Istanbul departing flights

I am aware that on BA you cannot currently bring a Laptop onto the BA flight back to Heathrow and need to pack this into Baggage checked into the Hold.

I presume this current ruling also applies to I Pads ?

Does the rule also apply to I Phone 6S ( it's the bigger one I currently use ) ?

thanks!
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: BA Silver
All clearly explained on the gov.uk site: https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-rest...ectrical-items

Laptop, iPad - not allowed
iPhone 6/7 Plus - allowed

Last edited by mzb00; Dec 15, 2017 at 2:33 pm Reason: typo
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Gold
They're quite ruthless, if it doesn't fit through their slot it gets confiscated.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:43 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
To be accurate the thread title should read on BA flights departing Istanbul, since TK has complied with additional security in order to once again allow electronics in the cabin. Same with Cairo, essentially a BA issue.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
You can also fly Easyjet to Sabiha Gökçen airport where all security meets UK standards.

I've no time for BA in this case.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 9:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
From IST you'd be mad to fly BA anyway. Go with TK, take your iPad in the cabin, and have a better experience overall.
psollitt, Grace B and MichaelBaku like this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 3:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by LCY8737
From IST you'd be mad to fly BA anyway. Go with TK, take your iPad in the cabin, and have a better experience overall.
As I mentioned last time this came up... when TK match BA on fares, I will fly with them. Until then, I'll take BA CE at the same price as TK Y, thank you very much
PUCCI GALORE likes this.

Last edited by LordBuckethead; Dec 16, 2017 at 3:24 am
Old Dec 15, 2017, 4:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is now getting ridiculous. BA can go on and on and quote government regs and safety. The truth is that they simply do not want to spend the extra money that they need to in order to be in compliance. They were going to have this sorted in September, but did not, and they have lost lots of business because of it.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by LordBuckethead
As I mentioned last time this came up... when TK match BA on fares, I will fly with them. Until then, I'll take BA CE at the same price as TK Y, thank you very much
Or take Easyjet, pay for a taxi to SAW, pay for a seat in the exit row, buy a load of drinks and snacks, pull out your laptop or ipad for entertainment, and pocket the remaining savings when you get home.

Until BA sort out their security in IST.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 12:39 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Originally Posted by LCY8737
You have to be slightly potter (or a bit of a dare devil) to fly TK given their rather cavalier attitude to safety procedures.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 4:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This again? BA has had as many hull losses as TK over the last 20 years. IST airport also has about three times as many working de-icing machines than LHR.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 5:02 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by hfly
IST airport also has about three times as many working de-icing machines than LHR.
Still couldn't get my flight to leave in 4 hours or so I was stuck there with snow.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 8:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oh, you mean when IST had real snow, close to a METER over two days and a complete whiteout, as opposed to half an inch in a day, some wind and no visual impairments, right? I shudder to think what BA would do if LHR had a meter of snow in a decade, let alone 48 hours.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 9:48 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by hfly
Oh, you mean when IST had real snow, close to a METER over two days and a complete whiteout, as opposed to half an inch in a day, some wind and no visual impairments, right? I shudder to think what BA would do if LHR had a meter of snow in a decade, let alone 48 hours.
No, it didn't start until about an hour before I was scheduled to board.
Probably had about half an inch of snow when it was due to depart because it wasn't really sticking until later on.
Old Dec 16, 2017, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

An hour before you boarded means that 2 hours before you boarded it was maybe 10 km, away, 3 hrs 15km, etc. The weather does not have to be at the airport to start snarling things

Look, I have been through weather in IST and weather in LHR more times than I can recount going on four decades now. Once upon a time LHR was able to handle real snow and weather, however seemingly over the last 15 years or so any wind whatsoever or any sprinkling or expected sprinkling of icing sugar messes the place up for days. The converse is that while two decades ago rain would mess up IST, now they are pretty good with anything reasonable. And it is a fact that IST has more operating de-icing machines than LHR even when all the LHR machines are operable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.