Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Refused laptop in carry on and not seated with kids

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:05 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: RIP

Mam and dad with 2 kids 4 months old (lap infant) and 2 years old (own seat), all on one booking IST-LHR-OSL in Y.
At check in in IST father is seated 10 rows behind the others.
Isnt it BA policy to seat people on one booking together, and especially so with small kids? Needless to say the flight turned out a total nightmare considering to handle two small kids by yourself. Check in agent (checked in within the limits, and OLCI was impossible with lap infant).
Agent asked us to check by gate/in flight, but gate said to check inside, and leaving this for us to handle inside ourselves isnt that easy.

Also agent (at C check in due to BA status) said I couldnt bring laptop in carry on on the LHR-OSL segment. This is not even true. And I was told to check the laptop. He said I could take it on IST-LHR but then had to recheck at LHR. That would have been impossible due to the short connection, no bag to check it in, and more difficult being in transit only.
It added a risk of theft and damage to put it in a suitcase, that I had paid to wrap, and needed to open, with no time to wrap again. I lost out on the planned work for the full day.

Whats correct and whats appropriate?

I filled the survey about the flight shortly after and detailed the problems, and as well specifically ticked the box asking them to contact me.

6 weeks later no word.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:15 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
BA policy is that children under 12 should be seated with at least one adult in the party, so they did meet the policy in this case, albeit it was not ideal for the other parent to be so far away.

Never had had a problem taking a laptop on LHR-OSL in hand luggage. Been a while since I flew BA from IST, so can't comment on what they might say at check in there.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
That's backwards. The policy is no laptops IST-LHR (due to BA at IST not meeting the UK government security regulations). LHR-OSL is the same as any other part of Europe.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by skaya
Mam and dad with 2 kids 4 months old (lap infant) and 2 years old (own seat), all on one booking IST-LHR-OSL in Y.
At check in in IST father is seated 10 rows behind the others.
Isnt it BA policy to seat people on one booking together, and especially so with small kids?
No it isn't. It's BA policy to ensure small kids are seated near to an adult on the booking; if another adult on the booking is seated elsewhere, so be it. If the whole group wanted to be seated together, paying for seat selection is the answer.
LochAwe likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:23 pm

Programs: BA GGL & CCR, GFL
(at C check in due to BA status)
What status do you have? Surely it should have afforded seat selection benefits?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:24 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
As mentioned before, it's IST-LHR where there is a ban imposed on laptops in hand luggage, not OSL-LHR. Was it the check-in at IST but told you you could take it as hand luggage on IST-LHR but not on LHR-OSL? I'm a little surprised because they should know at IST that it's an IST issue rather than LHR/OSL issue. You definitely can take it on board for LHR-OSL, so there appears to have been some kind of a confusion there between "can" and "can't".

As for the children, BA is not obliged to seat the family together, however, one adult must be seated in a seat adjacent to the child. It appears that the requirement was met, but for some reason they couldn't seat everyone together.

Saying that, you mentioned you checked in at the CE desk due to status. Were there issues with advance seat assignment on the basis of your status?

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Dec 14, 2017 at 3:34 pm
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:27 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The purpose of seating an adult near an adult is safety and not convenience. The former is cost-free. The latter is a consideration in purchasing tickets (and paying a fee).

While the entire notion of paying for seat assignments may be abhorent, it is no more or less abhorent for a family than for an individual and it is hard to justify dislodging someone who has an assigned seat for the convenience of one who does not. How would you like to be the person who gets punted 10 rows back for other than a safety concern?

The laptop thing sounds as if BA simply got it wrong. But, it did not really matter as you checked it for IST-LHR as you were required to and you have already explained that you were not in a position to reclaim your bag at LHR and recheck it at LHR.
LochAwe likes this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:45 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: RIP
Originally Posted by CCayley

No it isn't. It's BA policy to ensure small kids are seated near to an adult on the booking; if another adult on the booking is seated elsewhere, so be it. If the whole group wanted to be seated together, paying for seat selection is the answer.
I get it is for safety and not convenience. So we should probably have booked on two reservations then? (mam + infant and dad + 2yo). Would not have been seated together but at least not one single parent with both kids.

Originally Posted by AdBoy
What status do you have? Surely it should have afforded seat selection benefits?
BA silver. I could probably have picked seats online, just not check in? If it matters I was gifted sivle the day before and Im not sure what deadlines there are for seat selection, and if it goes for the whole family. Becaise if its just for me then it doesnt really help.

For the laptop yes, they really got it backwards. He was very clear I could take it to LHR but not to OSL. If the correct policy had been used it would have been understandable.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:52 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance

BA silver. I could probably have picked seats online, just not check in?
That is likely to have been the case.
The seat selection goes for the whole booking (not the whole family if they are on separate bookings from the Silver card holder).

For the laptop yes, they really got it backwards. He was very clear I could take it to LHR but not to OSL. If the correct policy had been used it would have been understandable.
I guess the outcome was the same for you either way, as you won't have had the time to collect the checked baggage and take it in the cabin for LHR-OSL, although I'd hope the check-in agent now realises that it is IST-LHR that is the issue as people who aren't connecting wouldn't be asked to put it in their hold luggage at check-in and can cause issues at the gate.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Dec 14, 2017 at 3:59 pm
Old Dec 14, 2017, 3:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: BAEC
There is precisely zero chance they would have allowed you to take a laptop on board for IST-LHR*. Anyone who has flown that route with BA in the last few months will have seen, heard and felt the enhanced security measures and will have been in no doubt as to the allowance or otherwise of laptops on that flight.
So to me it sounds like an unfortunate misunderstanding.

*And if you genuinely believe a representative in IST was about to allow otherwise, I suggest you provide your testimony to the UK government (DfT) immediately, as this is their security restriction and there will be severe consequences if it is not being followed.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
Is it still the DfT's restriction? Considering that pretty much all other airlines have had the ban lifted (TK, ME, RJ, PC etc) isn't this just a BA restriction now?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA, AA
I am still confused as to why the father could not hold the lap infant if it was originally all on one record?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:45 pm

Programs: United 1K 1MM, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton HHonors Gold
Mam and dad with 2 kids 4 months old (lap infant) and 2 years old (own seat), all on one booking ....
In which case you should have been eligible for free advance seat selection at booking.

Seats are free when you travel with an infant, (under 2 years) who won't be travelling in a seat of their own. You can choose a seat for you and everyone in your booking, free of charge, as soon as you've made your booking (except for bookings of over 9 people).
https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...ving-your-seat

Unless you were flying on a Basic fare.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:54 pm

Yes, I don’t understand why one parent didn’t take the lap infant in the single seat and the other would be seated next to the older child?
LochAwe and Oxnardjan like this.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Originally Posted by BA6501
Is it still the DfT's restriction? Considering that pretty much all other airlines have had the ban lifted (TK, ME, RJ, PC etc) isn't this just a BA restriction now?
i was flying CAI-LHR-YYZ last month but unaware of the laptop/tablet carry on ban until the day before my BA flight when I received an email "reminder" from BA about the middle eastern airports this was still in effect. Like most, I thought the ban was over at the same time the US removed it. (And I had earlier in the month departed on RJ twice from CAI and AMM and had no such restriction.). I didn't like the idea of having to check my roller bag that I had carried on for nine flights prior to this one, but had to, at least to LHR. Nor had I come prepared with a lock for my bag...and none was available for sale at my hotel or airport terminal. I short checked my bag so I could retrieve my Air and iPad at LHR, but decided to recheck my bag since I now had several amenity kits from my previous flights and knew while these easily passed through security in their sealed bags, at LHR they'd be torn apart and the few tubes of lotion and toothpaste forced into my baggy of toiletries! At CAI I "sealed" my bag with a twist tie I had packed away, but nothing was missing from my bag when I got to LHR. As well as enforcing this restriction, we went through a final security check of our carry on items at the gate...this after going through one security check entering the airport terminal, the standard one going airside, and yet another leaving the rather disappointing business class lounge!

As a side note, I noticed on my CAI-LHR flight that the man across the aisle from me managed to bring a CD player onboard and he was using it throughout the flight!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.