Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Refused laptop in carry on and not seated with kids

Refused laptop in carry on and not seated with kids

Old Dec 14, 17, 6:31 pm

Programs: Air Canada, KLM, BA,Lufthansa, United, AA, Hawaiian, Air New Zealnd, Qantas, Virgin Atlantic
A 4 month old infant is probably breast fed and needs mom not dad.
skaya likes this.
Old Dec 14, 17, 6:46 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by usbusinesstraveller View Post
In which case you should have been eligible for free advance seat selection at booking.

https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...ving-your-seat

Unless you were flying on a Basic fare.
Donít think you can get basic fares on flights that involve a connection.
Old Dec 14, 17, 6:50 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Jeannietx View Post
A 4 month old infant is probably breast fed and needs mom not dad.
Without straying into mumsnet territory, I take exception at the word probably. But even if this was the case, the father could have sat next to the two year old and the mother sat separate.
awayIgo and Steph G. like this.
Old Dec 15, 17, 12:21 am

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by madfish View Post

Without straying into mumsnet territory, I take exception at the word probably. But even if this was the case, the father could have sat next to the two year old and the mother sat separate.
Maybe the two-year-old needed to be breastfed as well?
Old Dec 15, 17, 12:28 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jacobguo View Post

Maybe the two-year-old needed to be breastfed as well?
In which case I would say that not sitting together or having access to a laptop is the least of their worries.
Old Dec 15, 17, 1:09 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by madfish View Post

In which case I would say that not sitting together or having access to a laptop is the least of their worries.
Nothing wrong with that I turned out alright despite this, haven't I?
Old Dec 15, 17, 3:29 am

Programs: Bronze, Some red card and some hotel cards.
Originally Posted by nufnuf77 View Post
Nothing wrong with that I turned out alright despite this, haven't I?
Why does this remind me of Little Britian.....??
Old Dec 15, 17, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: RIP
Thanks for all input. Regarding laptop, given the actual rules, the result would probably have been worse if agent had let me bring to the gate, because they have more security there, and on spot I wouldnt have had the options to wrap it deep in the suitcase. The frustration for not having the laptop would have been equally bad, but just my fault. I would have avoided the frustration though that it all was a result of wrong practice at check in.

The 2 year old is not breastfeeding, and most 2 years old dont when they have younger siblings. But for sure the baby couldnt be separated from the mother. Lesson learned is either to book as two reservations, or better having silver status reserve seats online before physical check in- if thats possible with infant? Also for sure better to have kept dad and 2yo together and man with infant, but that was not how the seats were given, and in the stress, and strictness of FAs there was lack of clear moment.
Old Dec 15, 17, 5:17 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond
Everyone on the booking can be assigned seats when you have silver status, better to stay on one booking for that reason.
Old Dec 15, 17, 5:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GfL+CCR, Aclub Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by skaya View Post
For the laptop yes, they really got it backwards. He was very clear I could take it to LHR but not to OSL. If the correct policy had been used it would have been understandable.
To be honest, I think it was a misunderstanding between the two of you rather than the agent getting it backwards. There are competent and incompetent agents of course, but quite frankly, I just do not believe that any IST agent handling BA flights is unaware that laptops are forbidden in hand luggage on the route, and of course that is precisely why he wanted to inspect the contents of your hand luggage in the first place. Maybe something got lost in translation in your discussion here?
Old Dec 15, 17, 5:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: RIP
Originally Posted by orbitmic View Post
To be honest, I think it was a misunderstanding between the two of you rather than the agent getting it backwards. There are competent and incompetent agents of course, but quite frankly, I just do not believe that any IST agent handling BA flights is unaware that laptops are forbidden in hand luggage on the route, and of course that is precisely why he wanted to inspect the contents of your hand luggage in the first place. Maybe something got lost in translation in your discussion here?
That would be my first thought had I read it. If he meant that I could retrieve the bag at LHR instead of checking the laptop there, then you are right. Its been 2 months now, and his English was worse than mine, so we cant rule anything out. I have no recording or any other evidence.