Community
Wiki Posts
Search

241 return booking and ?helpful CS

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
241 return booking and ?helpful CS

I booked an outbound flight a couple of weeks back using my 241 and needed to phone up last night to book the return. There's only one flight per day to my destination (SCL), but any of GIG, GRU or EZE would be fine for the return as alternatives. I phoned the US number around 23.55 last night and was on hold, so also phoned the Japanese number and got through (after a brief hold and then a hold to be transferred to the redemption dept).

By this time it was about 00:10 and all the J (and I think Y) seats from those places had gone instantly - never even saw them online. The CS person I spoke to confirmed they'd all gone, but said could I travel the next day. I said yes and she said she would reserve 2 seats for me and call me back to sort it out tonight at 01:00.

I've never heard of this being done/offered before. Am I right in thinking that it's unlikely to happen and I should try again phoning up (but a bit earlier!) tonight? Or can I safely assume she will do what she said?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
I wouldn't sit on your laurels and wait for the call. Then again it might just happen. I think this process is too stressful for many and there should be an update to BA.com to allow bookable returns online.
Reemondo likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:45 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, LTG & CCR; IC RA; Hilton D (free from BA)
I am sure that being the Japanese call centre she is absolutely sincere, but I don't know anything about the systems to know if she can actually reserve the reward you seek a day earlier. Gosh, planning and scheming so far in advance, I really appreciate my jokers now!
Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Gold, UA Mileage Plus, Hotels.com Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Pizza Express Gold
Originally Posted by IThink
I am sure that being the Japanese call centre she is absolutely sincere, but I don't know anything about the systems to know if she can actually reserve the reward you seek a day earlier. Gosh, planning and scheming so far in advance, I really appreciate my jokers now!
As far as I could tell she was saying she would reserve the seats when they become available tonight, not ahead of time.

Unfortunately I am a looong way from having a joker.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:57 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, LTG & CCR; IC RA; Hilton D (free from BA)
I guess the safest and obvious strategy is to do what you did last night and if it doesn't work then you might get the call at 0100 too and can then either thank and decline or sleep soundly
Old Dec 13, 2017, 4:20 am
Original Poster

Is anyone able to give me the direct number to the Japanese redemption/avios line to save on hold time? The number I've found on here is a generic number that transferred me when I said it was an avios booking.

Thanks
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:20 am

Originally Posted by omk298
.... she said she would reserve 2 seats for me and call me back to sort it out tonight at 01:00.
I've never heard of this being done/offered before. Am I right in thinking that it's unlikely to happen and I should try again phoning up (but a bit earlier!) tonight? Or can I safely assume she will do what she said?
Yes, this does happen, as I noted on Oct. 13 in post 319 in this thread:
BA American Express 2-4-1 Voucher Discussion

​​​​​​​
Old Dec 13, 2017, 4:11 pm
Original Poster

An update with another (I think) unusually helpful bit of CS. Checked today and there were flights from GRU available on the date we wanted. I was at work and didn't have time to call, so quickly booked 2 F seats, hoping to be able to cancel and rebook as part of the 241, with the backup of J being available if the F seats disappeared. Phone up BA this evening and got through to a UK call centre. Explained what I wanted to achieve and after a while on hold while the agent spoke to her supervisor she has linked the two bookings, using the 241 on both of them. No need to cancel and risk not being able to rebook.

The end result is that I got half of the Avios for the GRU-LHR flights back and am rather happy. I have 2 separate PNRs, both appear to be ticketed and I have the correct number of Avios. I think I might have overpaid the carrier surcharges by paying for 2 singles (and I thought Brazil had banned them?), but I'm not planning to risk causing any problems!

Edit: And first First awaited in the distant future!

Last edited by omk298; Dec 13, 2017 at 4:33 pm
Old Dec 13, 2017, 4:51 pm

R
An update with another (I think) unusually helpful bit of CS. Checked today and there were flights from GRU available on the date we wanted. I was at work and didn't have time to call, so quickly booked 2 F seats, hoping to be able to cancel and rebook as part of the 241, with the backup of J being available if the F seats disappeared. Phone up BA this evening and got through to a UK call centre. Explained what I wanted to achieve and after a while on hold while the agent spoke to her supervisor she has linked the two bookings, using the 241 on both of them. No need to cancel and risk not being able to rebook.

The end result is that I got half of the Avios for the GRU-LHR flights back and am rather happy. I have 2 separate PNRs, both appear to be ticketed and I have the correct number of Avios. ...
When previously on FT I reported similar success in retroactively linking an inbound avios booking with a prior outbound 2-4-1 voucher, I was met with the universal response that (1) I must have been confused because what I was reporting was not possible under any circumstances, and (2) I should not be raising any expectations that it might happen again, ever.

Congratulations on the impossible!
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve in Olympia
R

When previously on FT I reported similar success in retroactively linking an inbound avios booking with a prior outbound 2-4-1 voucher, I was met with the universal response that (1) I must have been confused because what I was reporting was not possible under any circumstances, and (2) I should not be raising any expectations that it might happen again, ever.

Congratulations on the impossible!
I guess it might be because I was within 24 hours of booking the return. It didn't seem to be something they do regularly, judging by the 10-15 minutes of discussion with a supervisor to decide if they can do it.

The agent from the Japanese office phoned back at 00;10 last night as promised with a choice of flights on the 3rd. Felt a bit bad saying I'd already booked a return.

Last edited by omk298; Dec 14, 2017 at 12:43 am
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:40 am

Programs: BA Gold , Mucci recipient. Coffee Drinker, Blue Sky Thinker
As two one way fares often cost more than a return did they reprice the booking(s) into a return?
Old Dec 14, 2017, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sunshinebob
As two one way fares often cost more than a return did they reprice the booking(s) into a return?
No, they're still there as two separate bookings. The only change was refunding me half the Avios for the return flights I'd booked.

Not sure I want to chase it either a) in case that causes problems and b) if availability turns up from SCL for the return I'd like to have a chance of adding it to the 241 and cancelling the GRU-LHR flights.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 7:46 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
That would definitely be an issue when going and returning from the US. Two one ways to the US and back would be very much more expensive in terms of taxes/fees/charges than a UK to US return since exUS taxes/fees/charges are very high.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.