Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What happens to left over meals?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A very small subset of a huge problem.

Key facts on food loss and waste you should know! | SAVE FOOD: Global Initiative on Food Loss and Waste Reduction | Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Often1
This is true in the US. The trash, including all food, is in specially-marked bags and is destroyed as it does not pass through agricultural inspection.
Ah, yes. But the passengers that did consume identical meals are not exposed to the same inspection, right
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: Lemonia. Best Greek ever.
No, they don't throw it away. They take out anything tasty, and then serve the leftovers as reconstituted pasta to WT+ pax.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:14 am

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue
When we flew F to Mumbai last month, a FA apologised for the smell of bacon when we landed, and that they cook all the unused breakfasts and it's sent off to the airport who give it to the dogs. I was pretty hungover... not sure if she was joking or not.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn
I was in ET on a very lightly loaded flight into London on a Sunday evening and cabin crew came round proactively offering left over J meals. I’m guessing that would have simply be binned.
pre-BoB or post-BoB??
florens and headingwest like this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
Originally Posted by Lewis King
When we flew F to Mumbai last month, a FA apologised for the smell of bacon when we landed, and that they cook all the unused breakfasts and it's sent off to the airport who give it to the dogs. I was pretty hungover... not sure if she was joking or not.
Most crew take off food for the dogs in India, they are waiting by our crew buses, other airline do it as well.
dcmike and florens like this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 1:12 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by Can I help you

Most crew take off food for the dogs in India, they are waiting by our crew buses, other airline do it as well.
That's a terrific way to solve the stray dog problem in India.

/s
Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:02 pm

Programs: BAEC - Lowly blue

Interesting! Thanks for the insight!
Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:25 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Adds a whole new meaning to 'gone to the dogs'!
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

That post has certainly warmed the cockles of my heart. ^
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:22 am

Programs: Exec Club - Gold Member - yeah baby, Emerald Aisle Executive Elite - Woo, Marriott Silver Executive
Originally Posted by HIDDY
That post has certainly warmed the cockles of my heart. ^
While I can understand the desire to "take care" of Indian street dogs - I can't agree that feeding them is a good thing.

Before you judge me too harshly - I love dogs, have one of my own and live in India. Street dogs here are a huge problem. They are NOT the same as your dog or mine. They are wild animals and do not need or crave human interaction.

I hate to see food wasted, I understand the desire to feed "strays" - as with most things in life there isn't a clear, simple answer. But ask yourself how you would feel walking your 5 year old down the street to the shop with 4-6 20kg wild animals watching you from 5 feet away or sleeping in your path. Then another indeterminate number of these dogs everywhere you go day and night. I'm not one for drama but I do get concerned about my safety frequently.

Last edited by Harry Harry; Dec 14, 2017 at 2:27 am
Old Dec 14, 2017, 1:48 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by Harry Harry
While I can understand the desire to "take care" of Indian street dogs - I can't agree that feeding them is a good thing.

Before you judge me too harshly - I love dogs, have one of my own and live in India. Street dogs here are a huge problem. They are NOT the same as your dog or mine. They are wild animals and do not need or crave human interaction.

I hate to see food wasted, I understand the desire to feed "strays" - as with most things in life there isn't a clear, simple answer. But ask yourself how you would feel walking your 5 year old down the street to the shop with 4-6 20kg wild animals watching you from 5 feet away or sleeping in your path. Then another indeterminate number of these bogs everywhere you go day and night. I'm not one for drama but I do get concerned about my safety frequently.
Bingo.

I’ve never been afraid of them, but they are definitely a huge problem.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:31 am

Smile

Originally Posted by bhbloke
Is it rude to ask for seconds?
This reminds me of the time I got my upgrade on FRA-IAD w/ United. I used to fly that route a lot in economy and I **loved** the hot ham & cheese sandwiches they served before landing. When I saw the offering in the Business Class menu, I asked if they had any leftover sandwiches I could have instead. Flight Attendant got me three (!)...
Old Dec 14, 2017, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum

Maybe while they are at it, they could take the left over bread to the pigeons in Trafalgar Square when going in the other direction....

While very well intended, it is not the best idea to bring food for street dogs.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
I’m not interested in what anyone else thinks and I will continue to feed the dogs at the airport just like hundreds of other airline crews.
LondonCanuck likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.