Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How is BA World Traveller these days?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:39 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Did you get the Penn State nibbles with the drink just after take off? I'm almost certain I could smell that on my YUL flight a couple of weeks ago.
Sadly... none. Just a drink + extra wine (seen in the picture in the pocket):

A very cheerful purser explained to me that I should have asked for a "supersonic gin & tonic"
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:20 am

Programs: BA Silver
I don't travel much on BA any more so my experience of world traveler is all 777 and 747. World traveler is an OK product but the 3-4-3 777s (when introduced) would be well avoided. It's Club World that is shockingly bad.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
My usual long haul WT is in the 787:
- it is tight, bearable depending on company - the last flight had what could be described as a super-sized person next to me in the aisle seat - so that took up a couple inches of my seat, and if the person in front of you reclines, have your reading glasses handy since the screen will be about 8" away from your eyes;
- make sure you go to the toilet before you board particularly if you're in the middle or window seat - it is unlikely you'll be able to extract yourself at any stage!;
- food and drink, adequate, the curry and 'little pot' being good offerings;
- service, generally okay - I've had some excellent service, some benign, and some, well (nearly), non-existent;
- seating does seem to be status/price related - cheaper tickets (particularly block bookings) down the back... .
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
I'm one of the strange ones happy enough in BA long-haul economy, but with a distinct preference for other carriers when I travel business-class.

If you have status, speedy check-in followed by fast-track makes a difference: and if you manage to get yourself one of the better seats you'll be fine.

Otherwise it really can't be much fun at all.

Main meals are, well, what they are: bog-standard airline meals. But the sickly carbs they serve as a snack or second light-meal is best refused unless really hungry. If you want a second or nth drink don't be afraid to use the call button: but if you have a penchant for nuts bring your own.

It'll all be over in (insert number) hours. You'll arrive creased but alive. Thousands and thousands do it every day.
capin and rockflyertalk like this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:54 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by rumbataz
Having only travelled once with BA in almost two years, I'm wondering what to expect in World Traveller for my upcoming flight. Will I get a glass of water on board and a packet of a _crisp_ ?
It's like how you might imagine the hold of a First World War hospital ship. Grubby and poorly lit, with miserable wretches crammed in wherever they can find a space, groaning restlessly under thin blankets and plaintively begging for food and water.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Best to go with a positive attitude or don't go at all.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
I get on 12h WTs smiling all the time. Get off smiling too. Often sleep for 10 hrs

exit seat very very worthwhile. New IFE also (in WT status is where it makes a difference)
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond
Fly pasta, Thirsty Planet water and a 'little pot of' dessert (should be 'tiny pot of'?). You've got to give it to them for the names! but the tray looks half empty.

Such a difference to a couple of years ago when BA used to serve a much better offering. What a shame.

Compare that with SAS economy for example.

megaloman likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I've got a couple of flights next weekend. Will most likely fill up in the lounges, decant a bottle of two of LPGS, and not bother with the onboard offerings.
Can't remember the last time I really ate the food in economy. I have had a small can of Diet Coke once or twice and I've gone back to the galley for one, but that's it. Not a fan of the sweet stuff etc. they come up with, although the main meal is fine from memory.

It's a nicer experience if you can grab an exit row (seems both my flights have the seats next to me taken now) although the screen always seems crooked to me. Not amazingly comfortable but survivable.
Handy if you get a side bin on some planes to dump the pillow, blanket etc. into. No IFE boxes at your feet in the exit rows on the A380, but no window as such either.

Haven't tried the 787 but it' on my bucket list if they get fixed.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ELAL Top Platinum
I'm flying on the B787 to YUL in WT on the 24th. Last time I did WT, was 26/12/16 LHR-JFK. So I'm looking out for 'BIG' change
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver, UA 1K, DL Platinum
I fly WT from time to time. Most important advice is avoid the 787 wherever possible. Next most important advice is buy a couple of water bottles but guard them. Last time my neighbour helped himself assuming I guess that BA had provided one each.
SophLVA likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:41 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by megaloman
Sadly... none. Just a drink + extra wine (seen in the picture in the pocket):
Don't mention extra alcohol... you'll never hear the end of it with the OP.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 6:26 pm
Moderator, Emirates

Programs: BAEC Silver, FB Platinum, KQ Asante Gold, Shebamiles Blue, Emirates Blue
Originally Posted by florens
LHR-DME will be on 777 or A321 Mid-Haul. Catering isn't great on this flight though from what one reads on here.
Originally Posted by florens
LHR-DME is a 4h flight, so I am not sure it's worth to upgrade to WTP.
DME is currently served with a mix of 777/787 (BA233/232) for one flight of the day, the other two on A321 mid-hauls (although have been known to be operated by a short haul last minute substitution). WTP is only available on the 777/787 service. The catering is also atrocious. They are still only serving a manky sandwich and kit kat in whichever direction in Y regardless of airframe (previous excuse for pathetic catering was space availability for return catering on the A321).

And if I can dip my toe into this potential quagmire, booze offerings as standard in BA Y (but haven’t seen anyone kicking the a*** out of it thus far).

Flights are operated by MF Cabin Crew and especially on the return on the BA237/236 (overnight flight there, early am return) the crew can look a bit tired.

S
Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:36 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
A Boots/WH Smith sandwich combo deal from the airport will be much more nutritious and tasty than the food served in Y. The 787 seats are cramped if you're taller. I can't sit with my knees together for example.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:52 pm

It's public transport and gets you from A to B. That's about it really.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.