Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How is BA World Traveller these days?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
How is BA World Traveller these days?

Having only travelled once with BA in almost two years, I'm wondering what to expect in World Traveller for my upcoming flight. Will I get a glass of water on board and a packet of a _crisp_ ?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, BA Amex PP
The World Traveller service (BA longhaul product) is still catered so water and crisps (or other form of snack) should be doable! It's Euro Traveller that has gone Buy on Board (i.e. short-haul product, although you will find some of the more far flung ET destinations in fact require longer journeys than certain destinations where the economy product is World Traveller)

Seat-wise I hope you aren't on a 787, that is a real deterioration in space from previous WT cabin configurations
Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:53 am

Programs: BAEC: Silver. Nothing else as TopCashBack trumps all hotel programs
Been on BA in WT twice in the last few years. Sorry but it's not a great product. I would recommend most other carriers over BA except a few exceptions. You will find the staff to be great however. Can you afford to / have the option to upgrade to WT+? There really is a world of difference.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 7:55 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
In common with any economy product, go in with very low or no expectations of anything other than arriving at your intended destination in one piece, and you won't go far wrong.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: IHG Spire Ambassador, Club Carlson Gold, HHonors Gold, Best Western Diamond Select, BA Blue
I have low expectations! I heard that they board you in descending order of the cost of your ticket. Is that actually true? OMFG if it is.

I'll look into WT+ costs but the ticket was already nearly 800GBP on the cheapest economy fare to AER via DME.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:14 am

Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, VIA Preference: Privilège, Air Canada Aeroplan
I personally find that WT on a 787 is bearable if you have an aisle seat. It's worth paying for to secure.
I don't agree that staff are the best bit of the product, on the route I fly they are often shockingly inexperienced.
In general, its fine, No worse or better than other economy products out there in my experience.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:19 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by rumbataz
I have low expectations! I heard that they board you in descending order of the cost of your ticket. Is that actually true? OMFG if it is.

I'll look into WT+ costs but the ticket was already nearly 800GBP on the cheapest economy fare to AER via DME.
LHR-DME will be on 777 or A321 Mid-Haul. Catering isn't great on this flight though from what one reads on here.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Your bronze status will possibly let you move up a boarding group or two, IF the group boarding has rolled out by the time you fly.

Having flown with SWISS and Lufthansa, BA's WT is similar to their longhaul economy products, better than SWISS!

Why are you asking if you would get a water and crisps? You should have seen from the booking info in MMB that you get a meal, bar service etc.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by rumbataz

They are introducing a system to board by groups, and a WT passenger with no BA/Openworld status will be in the last group. It's not strictly by price paid, a late purchased WT ticket could well be more than one bought months ago in CW.

I'm another one who would suggest you look at WT+, if you are flexible with dates, the price difference can often be quite small. They've done away with the second meal in WT, and it was a fun-sized mars bar or something last time I traveled in WT. I did read (or imagine!) somewhere that it was being reinstated.....
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:24 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by BertieBadger
They are introducing a system to board by groups, and a WT passenger with no BA/Openworld status will be in the last group. It's not strictly by price paid, a late purchased WT ticket could well be more than one bought months ago in CW.

I'm another one who would suggest you look at WT+, if you are flexible with dates, the price difference can often be quite small. They've done away with the second meal in WT, and it was a fun-sized mars bar or something last time I traveled in WT. I did read (or imagine!) somewhere that it was being reinstated.....
LHR-DME is a 4h flight, so I am not sure it's worth to upgrade to WTP.
Stez likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:28 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by florens
LHR-DME is a 4h flight, so I am not sure it's worth to upgrade to WTP.
That's a very fair point actually. Unless the price difference was really small, I'd agree and disregard my earlier advice! I'd say WT is tolerable for that duration. (although I'm another oddball who doesn't find a 787 Y seat that bad....)
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:59 am

Programs: BA GfL/GGL/CCR, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador
I did LHR-CAI a few days ago in WT, it was an interesting experience.

To my surprise I got a Gold welcome from the CSM - haven't had that for over a year now on any of my BA flights.
After take off there was a drinks service, again got extra bottle of wine "for the meal" which I didn't ask for.
Then there was a meal service, basically a rather poor looking tray:

Pasta itself wasn't looking great either:

IFE worked well, watched a movie and charged my phone from the USB port which was nice. Didn't expect usb ports on this mid-haul A321 aircraft.
Towards the end of the flight they've passed a couple of times with water/juice and that's it.
In a summary the service was just about right, cabin crew were brilliant, very friendly and very chatty, meal tray could've been a bit better - the dessert pot was literally a spoon of chocolate mouse!
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:11 am

Programs: BA Silver, VIPorter, VIA Preference: Privilège, Air Canada Aeroplan
The dessert pot is the best bit! It's small but delicious!
Stez, megaloman and lostinlondon like this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:31 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by williamn78
The dessert pot is the best bit! It's small but delicious!
Agreed!
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:27 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by megaloman
I did LHR-CAI a few days ago in WT, it was an interesting experience.
Did you get the Penn State nibbles with the drink just after take off? I'm almost certain I could smell that on my YUL flight a couple of weeks ago.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.