Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

LHR - BHD cancellation 10th December - specific advice needed

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:07 am
Original Poster

Hi all,

Apologies if this has already been covered but due to receiving zero information from BA I decided to post here as there are so many unanswered questions - even when I do a search here.

Like many of the rest of you me and the other half were hit by the travel disruption over the weekend. When we set off from our hotel in central London the BA mobile app reported flight BA1422 to be delayed by about 4 hours due to a late arriving aircraft. We didn't think much of this as the outward flight on Friday was delayed by an hour for the same reason so carried on to LHR. About 3/4 of the way to Heathrow in the taxi, I recieved an update on my mobile app saying the flight had been cancelled and that we should talk to BA staff at the airport.

On arrival at LHR there was endless queuing and confusion with BA not giving any advice so we joined a queue on advice of another traveller. This took over an hour, only to get as far as a temporary barrier and be told that BA are no longer dealing with any rebookings or refunds, and handed a sheet with a list of hotels to book. I tried multiple times ringing BA customer support but only to get the same "high call frequency" message.

We were then advised to go onto BA.com to rebook the flights but seemingly LHR wifi had gone down also. We then decided just to get a taxi back to our original hotel as they were still taking bookings, however this meant standing in yet another queue for over 1.5 hours and £130 in taxi charges. On arrival at the hotel we grabbed one of the last rooms available - another £130 - and tried once again to get BA customer service with no luck.

In the morning I tried the mobile app which was now giving me the option to rebook or cancel and refund the next flight, which turned out to be just a link to claim refunds so still had no return flight.

As both of us had already lost one day of work and couldn't afford to miss another I just booked the first flight out of LCY, going to EDI then on to BHD. This cost us somewhere in the region of £380.

As I am relatively new to flight cancellations my questions are:

BA have not yet said if my refund application has been approved and we are now 2 days post travel date - does this mean I am not getting a refund?

Can I claim refunds for the flights I had to take from LCY-EDI-BHD, considering only the LCY-EDI was operated by BA?

Can I claim refunds for other items such as food and taxis? I have kept all receipts so can send them to BA if necessary.

Any help would be appreciated guys as like I say we have received zero communication from BA.

Thanks,

R
Old Dec 12, 2017, 5:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by rmac86
BA have not yet said if my refund application has been approved and we are now 2 days post travel date - does this mean I am not getting a refund?

Can I claim refunds for the flights I had to take from LCY-EDI-BHD, considering only the LCY-EDI was operated by BA?

Can I claim refunds for other items such as food and taxis? I have kept all receipts so can send them to BA if necessary.
Refunds may take weeks to be processed so I wouldn't read anything into this at day 2. If your flight was cancelled you can claim a refund under EC261. For the replacement flight, that is more iffy, but if you can prove that you (a) tried to do it online (b) couldn't contact the contact centre then I believe you have a good case in getting a refund on this, however it isn't definite and you may need to do a bit of digging around to make it happen. Plus the total refunded will take into account the refund for the missed sector, you can't double dip. For food and taxis, more details in the main thread, and how to claim is in there too, but yes, taxis (£50 guideline limit) and food is claimable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.