Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

What was your most creative way of beating the BA cancellations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold

So have an ex AMS Qatar flight Tuesday afternoon. Thanks to this brilliant forum, and in particular CWS it became increasingly obvious that the 426 AMS service on Monday night wasn't going to happen, the plan originally being to overnight in AMS and take the flight the following morning. Options were not looking good, so me and the good Mrs Kipperman took the "interesting" option of a bus to AMS.

This involved, briefly, my daughter dropping us off in Dover, waiting in a howling cold gale in a bus stop, being delayed an hour on the Channel tunnel, being caught in a 4 hour traffic jam outside Ghent and finally being dropped off at a freezing and snowy non central train station at 3am this morning after 20 hours on a bus. Fortunately our hotel room was still available, and a quick uber jaunt dropped us off here.

Curiously I did have a plan C, which was avios tickets on the BA 2758 LGW service this morning (12th December) The irony?- it of course went, albeit with a bit of delay, but with enough comfort to catch my onward flight. But I'm happy with the outcome - plan C would have been a tad stressful, and only have come into play if we couldn't get across to the continent.

Last edited by kipperman; Dec 12, 2017 at 2:08 am
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
My creative way was going home... the last leg of my ex-EU was cancelled so I could genuinely miss it.
mikeyfly, frasier and adrianlondon like this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Schwann
My creative way was going home... the last leg of my ex-EU was cancelled so I could genuinely miss it.
Don't forget to rebook that dropped sector to attach to the start of your next third country itinerary next year.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:13 am

I managed to walk to the pub next door,leaving the car buried under a pile of snow.Fortunately we came back from TXL friday,and dodged this chaos.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:58 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Went to Heathrow, met my colleagues, collectively agreed that we were definitely not going to Manchester, got on the Tube and went back to the office
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: QF, BA, VA
Not overly creative.......but.....

Rent a car at AMS, drive to Paris, then Eurostar to London.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:12 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
I'm going to keep checking this thread until someone comes along and says 'I tobogganed to my destination'.

M
Ruth4325 likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:34 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Spare a thought for us in Tampa. I had to wear long trousers yesterday morning due to the cold although it did warm up nicely by around 10am.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:38 am

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, BA Silver
Originally Posted by TonyHancock

How much cross border car hire fee did you pay and do you expect a reimbursement for it from BA?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by TonyHancock

No need to drive!

Thalys to Brussels then Eurostar - which is what I did today!
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:32 pm

Programs: QF, BA, VA
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
No need to drive!

Thalys to Brussels then Eurostar - which is what I did today!
I had tickets booked on the Thalys' Monday 19:34 service to Paris - the train didn't materialise and nobody knew what was happening with it an hour after scheduled departure.

Originally Posted by Wanderlust888
How much cross border car hire fee did you pay and do you expect a reimbursement for it from BA?
320 euros and no I don't expect to get anything back from BA. I needed to get back to LHR with a colleague in order to catch long haul flights on different PNR's.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Not exactly creative, but here is my story.

I’d booked a one-way LHR-MAN flight for Sunday, planned to stay with a friend in Manchester overnight, take a train to Cheltenham Monday, have dinner with another friend and spend the night in a hotel, before travelling home by train today, Tuesday.

Standing in the long queue at A7 to get out of T5, I decided to reject the LHR-MAN re-booking offered for Monday (which would have arrived after my train departed for Cheltenham). Instead I took the Heathrow Express to Paddington, booked an extra hotel night in Cheltenham and travelled there by train on Sunday evening.

Earlier in the day while waiting in GF for my delayed (later cancelled) flight, I posted a rather flippant and insensitive comment on Flyertalk about being so warm that I could de-ice a plane with my face (I have since deleted it).

I got of off the train at Cheltenham to find Karma waiting for me. Rushing to the taxi queue, I tripped on steps, cut my cheekbone and broke my glasses. I spent the rest of the evening with an ice-pack on my face and I am now sporting a black eye!

Last edited by WickedStepMother; Dec 12, 2017 at 2:57 pm
Old Dec 12, 2017, 2:21 pm

I helped a few transit passengers book local hotels in London whilst in the 1st Lounge at T5 - typically those who had arrived from Japan, Pensacola, etc who had connecting flights to Oslo, Paris, etc which were cancelled. One guest actually thought I worked for BA and thanked me for the great customer service....she didn’t know what to say when I said I was also an impacted customer impacted by the late cancelled BA197 to IAH...which continued to show a delayed take-off at 15:30 right up until 17:30, then a revised departure time of 19:00 (when clearly this would not be feasible for a late landing at IAH International terminal) - flight eventually showed as cancelled at 19:30...

My bags were lost and as of this evening, I still haven’t had the bag returned...it was due to be sent to Houston on this mornings flight - unbelievable...I’m Gold and was travelling CW.
frank_poulankh likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: Hhonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, BA Silver
Originally Posted by kipperman
This involved, briefly, my daughter dropping us off in Dover, waiting in a howling cold gale in a bus stop, being delayed an hour on the Channel tunnel
Useful fallback option. Is this one of the National Express coaches that runs from London via Dover? Were you able to buy a walk-up ticket on the bus?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:24 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Don't forget to rebook that dropped sector to attach to the start of your next third country itinerary next year.
I was considering that, or just moving it to have a weekend in Gothenburg in the New Year, but have firm no plans for it's use at the moment. Anyway, decided to do neither and cancel the last leg.. they are refunding £80ish in taxes between the two of us.

A question.. can I claim ORC for the cancelled flight if I have chosen not to travel?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.