Diverted Flight and Car Hire Compo

Old Dec 11, 17, 1:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
Diverted Flight and Car Hire Compo

Just filled out the online claim form for our diverted flight from KEF to LHR last night.

this is what I put.

Hi.

We were lied to by the crew and told that LHR was closed. When I provided evidence we were told that it was only T5 that was closed. As such we were diverted to NCL, once there we were told the crew were out of hours and to disembark.

Once inside the terminal we were handed the attached piece of paper and told that there were no alternative flights to be booked on. We could book a hotel ourselves and contact BA in the morning to arrange an alternative flight or make our own arrangements and was told that we might be able to get a train. At no point did BA offer to arrange anything.

I took it upon myself to look at the train prices. These were £298 per person for a standard fair ticket from NCL to LHR or £303 for a 1st class ticket.

I thought that was a bit steep so looked at car hire. The only vehicle available was an 8 seater at a cost of £198.44 So I took this option. The fuel cost was £64.28

I then found 4 other single travellers who also wanted to get back to heathrow and they came with us.

Ourselves as a couple and the other 4 single travellers could have chosen to stay in a hotel and claim taxi and meal costs too at cost in excess of £1000 to BA, I could have booked two train tickets at a cost of £600 but I didn't.

I feel that I chose the most cost effective way of getting us back to heathrow and in doing so saved BA a lot of money, it actually only cost you £43.78 per person!

I'm not claiming for food, drink or any other expenses just the hire of the car and fuel.

I also request that you refund the cost of this portion of the flight as it wasn't completed and I had to make my own arrangements.

I look forward to your prompt reply in this matter.

Merry Christmas.

MDJ1
Old Dec 11, 17, 1:52 pm

Originally Posted by mdj1 View Post
We were lied to by the crew
Personally I don't think this is a helpful way to start an expenses form.

Nonetheless, I hope you do get the cost refunded.
Old Dec 11, 17, 2:06 pm

Programs: HH - Gold, BA - Blue
Just filled out the online claim form for our diverted flight from KEF to LHR last night.

this is what I put.

Hi.

We were lied to by the crew and told that LHR was closed.
You realise the crew are only going on information they're given?
Old Dec 11, 17, 2:13 pm

Programs: BA/VS Gold, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Orange.Man View Post
You realise the crew are only going on information they're given?
I am quite certain that ATC will have made it clear that they were refusing British Airways aircraft from LHR rather than saying the whole airfield was shut.

I too was diverted to NCL yesterday and the captain on our flight stated that detail very carefully each time, even correcting himself once to clarify that it was indeed only British Airways that was subject to this limitation.
Old Dec 11, 17, 2:36 pm
Original Poster

That begs the question as to why only BA?
Old Dec 11, 17, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
That begs the question as to why only BA?
Judging by reports of what was happening, perhaps because it was at BA's end of the airfield that there were no available stands, so taking too many arriving BA aircraft would rapidly clog up the field for everyone else with the consequence that nobody could operate anything? That would seem to be a good reason to refuse any more BA aircraft.
Orange.Man, markle and dcmike like this.
Old Dec 11, 17, 7:24 pm

Programs: AA, BAEC Silver
On another thread the OP reports having been sent to T4 after a long wait so T5 congestion was certainly an issue.
Old Dec 11, 17, 11:22 pm

Programs: BA, IHG, 5C
The most controversial part is your request for a refund - for KEF-LhR presumably. I don’t think you have any EU261 claim to this along with the costs of rerouting (different to the provision of an alternative admittedly) in this case or in any circumstances.
Old Dec 12, 17, 12:25 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by pauldb View Post
The most controversial part is your request for a refund - for KEF-LhR presumably. I don’t think you have any EU261 claim to this along with the costs of rerouting (different to the provision of an alternative admittedly) in this case or in any circumstances.
I would personally think with the sort of wording used, and the outrageous claim for reimbursement of the flight (which was completed, by road, so you can’t realistically double dip for the flight plus the cost of doing that), anyone looking at it might well be tempted to put it to the bottom of the pile for action.

I can also see that BA might find a reason to refuse this because it’s not an approved method of travel - they are rarely logical about these things given they’d prefer to put people in a hotel for several days rather than pay for re-routing on a different carrier. If I was told to either stay overnight and fly the next morning, or get on a train, that’s exactly what I’d have been doing. Incidentally, a walkup standard class off-peak fare from Newcastle Airport to London is £134 per person - so totalling about the cost of the non-approved car hire. The OP may well have felt he was being generous towards BA and helping out by reducing costs, but it could backfire.

Old Dec 12, 17, 1:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I took it upon myself to look at the train prices. These were £298 per person for a standard fair ticket from NCL to LHR or £303 for a 1st class ticket.
This cannot be right - are you sure you weren't looking at the total price, for two people?

An "anytime" single ticket from Newcastle Airport to London Kings Cross (which, as its name suggests, is the most flexible and most expensive ticket and can be used at any time) is £151. An off-peak flexible ticket is £134. Once you add on two tickets from Kings Cross to Heathrow then the total cost for two people would be in the region of £275 - £310.
Old Dec 12, 17, 1:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MADPhil View Post
On another thread the OP reports having been sent to T4 after a long wait so T5 congestion was certainly an issue.
wasnt me?
Old Dec 12, 17, 1:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Misco60 View Post
This cannot be right - are you sure you weren't looking at the total price, for two people?

An "anytime" single ticket from Newcastle Airport to London Kings Cross (which, as its name suggests, is the most flexible and most expensive ticket and can be used at any time) is £151. An off-peak flexible ticket is £134. Once you add on two tickets from Kings Cross to Heathrow then the total cost for two people would be in the region of £275 - £310.
i went on the train line and entered Newcastle Airport to London Heathrow and that was the price I was given.
Old Dec 12, 17, 1:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Discovery Black, and assorted others
Great opening line to the letter. Somehow I can't see this going in your favour. A more succinct way of putting your case to BA would have been:

"Our flight KEF-LHR was diverted to NCL. We completed our journey to LHR by hire car, the cost of which was £££, please see attached receipts."
rossmacd and 710 77345 like this.
Old Dec 12, 17, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NWIFlyer View Post

I would personally think with the sort of wording used, and the outrageous claim for reimbursement of the flight (which was completed, by road, so you canít realistically double dip for the flight plus the cost of doing that), anyone looking at it might well be tempted to put it to the bottom of the pile for action.

I can also see that BA might find a reason to refuse this because itís not an approved method of travel - they are rarely logical about these things given theyíd prefer to put people in a hotel for several days rather than pay for re-routing on a different carrier. If I was told to either stay overnight and fly the next morning, or get on a train, thatís exactly what Iíd have been doing. Incidentally, a walkup standard class off-peak fare from Newcastle Airport to London is £134 per person - so totalling about the cost of the non-approved car hire. The OP may well have felt he was being generous towards BA and helping out by reducing costs, but it could backfire.

We were told to make ďour own wayĒ someone said how? They said you could take the train they never said that they we couldnít.

as for them not authorising the refund, Iím sure the courts would look at it differently, which is the route Iíll take if I have too.

I donít see why the airline industry and especially BA think they should be any different to any other company who fail to offer a product or service.
Old Dec 12, 17, 1:45 am

Programs: BAEC silver
Iím sure BA will reimburse you. I wouldnít hold your breath on timing though. If I were a CS agent the tone of your message would immediately cause it to fall to the bottom of my work list. When it got to the top of the pile it would probably fall off again.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: