Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is De-Icing Really Considered 'Extraordinary Circumstances'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is De-Icing Really Considered 'Extraordinary Circumstances'

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:00 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by oh_lol
The de-icing machines should be owned/responsibility of the airlines (or it's contractors), just like all other GSE (Ground Support Equipment).
It is already the airlines' responsibility.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:07 am

I really don’t understand the BA major disruption handling process and why over the years it hasn’t improved. Disruption happens to BA at least once a year, sometimes twice. Whether it be weather related, IT related, or some other cause, it’s inevitable and always poorly handled.

Getting rebooked usually involves a huge queue at an airport. You can never get through on the phone. If you can get through then they’ll normally rebook only on oneworld carriers. The entire process is manual and not automated.

It is possible to invest in IT systems that will do this automatically. The major three US carriers have, with Delta in particular having one of the more robust systems in place.

This year, I’m feeling rather smug as the way I’ve avoided the disruption is by taking my business to Lufthansa. I was flying back from SFO on the day when BA cancelled both of their services. Although my flight back to Munich was two hours late, I still had time to connect and have a shower. Incidentally, MUC T2 is a joy to connect in with non-Schengen to non-Schengen connections not requiring immigration or security - just walk from gate to gate. The connection into London was delayed an hour or so, but still came in before the curfew.

Interestingly, I was chatting to a few displaced BA passengers who were on it, all vowing to switch their business.

More and more I’m coming to the conclusion that BA simply isn’t a business that is able to deliver a competent service to customers as things have been cut so far.

Last edited by Dave_C; Dec 12, 2017 at 5:38 am
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:09 am
gms

Programs: BA Gold / GfL, Hilton Diamond
The other issue BA was touting was that crew were out of position due to the disruption. This, of course, was in some cases absolutely valid. However, it seems that BA's internal systems were as much messed up as its customer-facing systems. Speaking to the crew on my flight yesterday, when they reported for duty at LHR that morning, they were told that they weren't expected since BA's systems thought they were still stuck in Dublin! They said that even after they had confirmed they were there and had been reallocated to the flight, the systems dropped them from operating my flight again!

In my view this is a bigger screw-up than the IT fiasco earlier this year. If BA had been prepared, had contingency plans in place, had decent stress-tested IT systems, the impact of a tiny amount of snow and cold weather should have been a fraction of what it was.
florens likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:22 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by Dave_C
I really don’t understand the BA major disruption handling process and why over the years it hasn’t improved.

This! Last weekend's reports were reminiscent of last year's fog disruption (17th-18th December, 30th December). As you say, nothing seems to have improved since.

Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:22 am

Originally Posted by Globaliser
So you're happy to activate a contingency plan on a "just in case" basis and thereby cause substantial disruption to your customers, even though the forecasters say that the adverse winter weather isn't going to happen?

Or is that not the effect of your contingency plans?

It will no doubt have escaped some people's notice that the forecast for this morning (Tuesday) was also wrong.
It isn't black and white, just shades of grey. I wouldn't have expected BA to have activated the plan "just in case" but I would have expected them to have a contingency plan capable of being activated when needs dictated.

Freezing weather isn't exactly unusual in the middle of December, so there should surely be de-icing plans in place to cover a schedule which is known months in advance. In which case lengthy waits for de-icing equipment could have been avoided. I think I read one post somewhere above that there were over 40 aircraft in the de-icing queue, that to me suggests poor preparation.

As a result of failure to get planes away close to schedule the whole thing just seized up, with the knock on effect of people waiting 4 hours to get off a landed aircraft and ground vehicles not being able to move around because of aircraft blocking the way.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:33 am

Maybe whoever is responsible at BA and HAL should try a flight out of MUC on a wintry day: Plane rolls up to just off the runway, two de-icer trucks left and right await all planes at that point, and then off down the runway you go straight after de-icing.

Not that there are never any weather delays there, but they are prepared for it.
ExpatExp likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 3:58 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Even if so, it didn't stop people coming on here whining about it ... damned if they do, damned if they don't.
The real problem here is not the the weather or BA, but years of inept government that have dillied and dallied over the blaring obvious need for expansion at Heathrow. Whatever the reason, this airport runs at full capacity and when the wheel comes off it will always go pear shaped. This will always put BA at a disadvantage. What do people expect on major breakdowns like this. Do people think BA have boxes of additional staff that can be brought out to help, that thousands of hotels rooms can be magicked up. The bagged and immigration system is designed for normal operations and will never be able to cope under these special conditions. It’s unfortunate for those affected but the reality is this countries transport infrastructure has been sadly neglected for the last 30 years. I’m sure that over the last few days BA could have handled somethings better but on balance I agree with Tobias that in circumstances like this they are dammed either way. Heathrow needs two more runways and increased terminal capacity yesterday, not ten years from now.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:19 am

Originally Posted by PJSMITH0

The real problem here is not the the weather or BA, but years of inept government that have dillied and dallied over the blaring obvious need for expansion at Heathrow. Whatever the reason, this airport runs at full capacity and when the wheel comes off it will always go pear shaped. This will always put BA at a disadvantage. What do people expect on major breakdowns like this. Do people think BA have boxes of additional staff that can be brought out to help, that thousands of hotels rooms can be magicked up. The bagged and immigration system is designed for normal operations and will never be able to cope under these special conditions. It’s unfortunate for those affected but the reality is this countries transport infrastructure has been sadly neglected for the last 30 years. I’m sure that over the last few days BA could have handled somethings better but on balance I agree with Tobias that in circumstances like this they are dammed either way. Heathrow needs two more runways and increased terminal capacity yesterday, not ten years from now.
Or perhaps we shouldn't be putting all our eggs in one basket?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:40 am

I expect that I can rebook flights via the app. Or the website. Or book a hotel via either if I'm stranded. Other airlines can do this, but BA can't. They haven't spent the money.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 4:45 am

So you're happy to activate a contingency plan on a "just in case" basis and thereby cause substantial disruption to your customers, even though the forecasters say that the adverse winter weather isn't going to happen?

Or is that not the effect of your contingency plans?

It will no doubt have escaped some people's notice that the forecast for this morning (Tuesday) was also wrong.
ORD learned it's lesson the hard way a couple of times last year when the forecast was wrong. Now, every single snow event (regardless of the amount) has an initial conference call 24 hours out with a plan of action between the City, FAA, Airlines and Handling agents. Then followup conference calls at a time agreed to by all parties as the event happens. Everyone knows exactly where everyone stands when it comes status of equipment (percentage operable), staffing, airspace management but most importantly there's no surprises or finger pointing. It's a airport wide team effort and I just don't see this at LHR.

Argue this...what's the outcome if BA doesn't de-ice aircraft, just snow and go.... Otherwise, it has to be built into their SOP for weather based on safety alone.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 5:12 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Can you imagine the outcry here if, every time there was no snow forecast for LHR but some was forecast for somewhere nearby, the BA schedule was proactively hacked to bits just in case the forecast might turn out to be wrong in the wrong direction?
Oh please... . The chaotic scenes at Heathrow would suggest world-ending weather phenomena when in fact there was a bit of snow during the day and - admittedly - a lot of rain in the early morning hours but the weather was by no means unpredictable or even freakish. It's the kind of weather to be expected in December in Northern Europe. That - even if it may surprise many Brits - is the reality of things. It's winter. It will snow. If BA goes into Defcon1 when there's less than an inch of snow, then I don't want to know what happens when there's a couple of inches. Will they set a 747 ablaze to heat T5?

Originally Posted by stephem
My gripe is that there was no way any of our flights were going but BA refused to cancel and release us to find other options, which many of us road warrioirs could.
A relative of mine was in the same boat. BA kept delaying her flight. Her flight got ultimately cancelled when the planned aircraft in the hold over SEN diverted to another airport. She's currently playing with the idea to claim the compensation from BA when she emails them about payment of her expenses (accommodation+food+transportation; roughly 250£ for 48hrs delay) and see what they come up with as excuse. Her flight was to be operated by an aircraft that had circled one over London before diverting. I doubt that they can play the "weather" card since the weather at the time was relatively good (no snow/rain and relatively good visibility) and the aircraft could've been turned around in time for her flight. That said, I expect them to come up with another "beyond our control" excuse (such as ATC) but she (and I) are definitely interested to hear it. She told me that she's probably going to leave it at that if a) she gets her expenses under the duty of care back and b) the given reason is plausible enough (which it probably will).
Old Dec 12, 2017, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
I hope someone with a disrupted flight, especially the day after December 10 when there was no more snow, goes ahead with an EU 261 400-600 EUR compensation claim and if BA do not play ball take it to court. I want to see what comes out of it. Come on guys, take one for the team!
Old Dec 12, 2017, 5:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by TeflonMan
Maybe whoever is responsible at BA and HAL should try a flight out of MUC on a wintry day: Plane rolls up to just off the runway, two de-icer trucks left and right await all planes at that point, and then off down the runway you go straight after de-icing.

Not that there are never any weather delays there, but they are prepared for it.
as I said elsewhere, why did they not use the deicing pads! It is the norm at airports that deal with this regularly and gets aircraft away from the gates so others can start to disembark.

I did it at WAW a week ago, taxied out to the pad by the end of the runway, two sets of deicing trucks so two planes could be done at the same time then off to the runway and take off. Its like a car wash you Q up for instead of this nonsense of sitting at the gate waiting for the truck to come to you
Old Dec 12, 2017, 5:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by WorldLux
It's the kind of weather to be expected in December in Northern Europe. That - even if it may surprise many Brits - is the reality of things. It's winter. It will snow.
Actually, no. It rarely snows in London. And more to the point, there was no snow in the forecasts for Sunday, until a very late stage.

What is unreasonable is to suggest that merely because it's winter, LHR should activate all of its snow plans on every day of the season, regardless of the risk of there being snow on any particular day.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 6:11 am

What has this got to do with planning for sufficient de-icing capacity for a known schedule in a month when freezing temperatures can usually be anticipated?

That is nothing to do with the government or HAL, airlines are responsible for their own de-icing.
ahmetdouas likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.