Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is De-Icing Really Considered 'Extraordinary Circumstances'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is De-Icing Really Considered 'Extraordinary Circumstances'

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Markonen
But the scale of the failure here is so immense that I don't for a second buy the argument that they could not have done better.
Do any of us really know what would have happened if the snow had been forecast?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Originally Posted by Orange.Man
Aircraft can be (certainly EZY do this as well) de iced on stands to clear overnight ice & snow. Some aircraft will then not require any further de icing and can pushback, taxi and takeoff without issues. Other aircraft might well require further de icing and will load up and taxi off to be de iced.
BA have said that overnight heavy rain prevented pre-emptive de-icing on this occasion. That doesn't explain further de-icing issues during the day.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:35 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
The entire de-icing issue is a bit of a red herring as well. It is not as though an aircraft is deiced and then awaits its departure slot without regard to new ice. In poor conditions, the deicing treatment only lasts so long and must be repeated and then repeated again and again. That is a waste ---- and there is an environmental cost of the fluid to be considered ---- and thus, keeping the flow of aircraft is close to impossible when the weather breaks.
Yes, but many other airports have in proximity of the runway thresholds positions or within short distances of the runways to deice aircrafts and allow them to take off. Once they are airborne the internal de-icing systems take over and physics prevents ice from settling on the wing top and bottom surfaces. De-icing at the gate works marvellous if the plane doesn't have a long way to reach the runway (e.g. bus gates were planes get roll out under their own steam, etc.).

Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
Huzar v Jet2 the appeal court held that bad weather had to be Freak and wholly unexpected, that is what BA has to prove.
This is IMO a very interesting arguing point. The weather at Heathrow was by no means freak weather. It had been predicted for a couple of days and there was just enough snow to cover Heathrow and its surroundings. I'd certainly inquire why a flight was cancelled when the aircraft was on approach to LHR and on time to make the delayed departure. Sure the schools in the UK freaked out and the newspapers pushed pictures of car sliding about but an inch of snow in December* still doesn't qualify as freak weather.

*It would in the middle of August.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WorldLux
It had been predicted for a couple of days ...
Really, does nobody read anything around here?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:40 pm

Programs: HH - Gold, BA - Blue
Originally Posted by flatlander
BA have said that overnight heavy rain prevented pre-emptive de-icing on this occasion. That doesn't explain further de-icing issues during the day.
It doesn't explain the whole issue but will certainly show that a lot more planes will have needed full de-icing than originally planned.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by Globaliser
Really, does nobody read anything around here?
Not sure what your point is, but snow was forecast reasonably close nearby. Maybe not in the LHR TAF but, within 20-30 miles. Hardly unexpected that the forecast sleet turned into snow.

Presumably if the snow was forecast, HAL would’ve imposed more proactive flight cancellations and somewhat saved BA from its own incompetence.

Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kgmm77
Not sure what your point is, but snow was forecast reasonably close nearby. Maybe not in the LHR TAF but, within 20-30 miles. Hardly unexpected that the forecast sleet turned into snow.
Can you imagine the outcry here if, every time there was no snow forecast for LHR but some was forecast for somewhere nearby, the BA schedule was proactively hacked to bits just in case the forecast might turn out to be wrong in the wrong direction?

But it is no surprise to find FT yet again full of people displaying the fullness of their 20/20 hindsight.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:08 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver
This was a specific recommendation of the independent report into the 2010 LHR Snowmaggeddon.

A poster elsewhere here said it was never properly implemented due to space considerations.

No, the poster elsewhere here (me) said that it was implemented, and continues to be expanded, just that there are no permanent de-icing pads such as one finds at far larger airports. There is not the space for permanent pads at LHR, unless a significant impact is accepted on the other 360 days a year when there is no mass de-icing.

The remote de-icing pads get activated when mass de-icing is about to start.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Can you imagine the outcry here if, every time there was no snow forecast for LHR but some was forecast for somewhere nearby, the BA schedule was proactively hacked to bits just in case the forecast might turn out to be wrong in the wrong direction?

But it is no surprise to find FT yet again full of people displaying the fullness of their 20/20 hindsight.
But there is a happy medium, right? I was at the airport yesterday in the midst of this and BA operations on the runway and in the airport had totally broken down. The captains and crews seemed to know nothing was gonna go out but not frontline staff, who were far to few. My gripe is that there was no way any of our flights were going but BA refused to cancel and release us to find other options, which many of us road warrioirs could. They said “oh just wait and you will be auto booked”. It wasnt until 2am that BA agreed to let AA retake my ticket and declare a teip in vain because i was booked on a flight to brussels the day i would be returning home.

They need to have some plan in place for “near hits” of snow that at least get some extra staff on call. That will cost money and may even raise fares, but the way BA operate today they have no ability to tolerate any mid sized hiccups.

Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:37 pm
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Hannibal Lecter
Huzar v Jet2 the appeal court held that bad weather had to be Freak and wholly unexpected, that is what BA has to prove.
No it didn’t.
cynicalmoose and TabTraveller like this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:03 pm

Its happened a number of times this year already (proactive cancellation for weather that didn’t materialise) and the world didn’t fall in.

As for 20/20 hindsight, spare me the patronising. Some of us run critical national infrastructure for a living. We spend our lives planning for stuff that is a lot less frequent that a bit of normal winter weather. Everyone fails at some point, but you don’t last long if you don’t learn from it. At this point BA are one of two things, grossly incompetent at what they do, or they’ve accepted the risk that this will happen once or twice a year. I’m not sure either is acceptable in my view.
SW7London likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:23 pm

There's a conversation in the DL forum about the snow delays that ATL had this weekend as well. It contains a number of posts about de-icing procedures and its effects on airport operations. I found it an interesting comparative read: https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delt...-8-2017-a.html

If you haven't seen it you might find those posts worth a look on de-icing issues at another big airport that doesn't usually see snow.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:24 pm

Its happened a number of times this year already (proactive cancellation for weather that didn’t materialise) and the world didn’t fall in.

As for 20/20 hindsight, spare me the patronising. Some of us run critical national infrastructure for a living. We spend our lives planning for stuff that is a lot less frequent that a bit of normal winter weather. Everyone fails at some point, but you don’t last long if you don’t learn from it. At this point BA are one of two things, grossly incompetent at what they do, or they’ve accepted the risk that this will happen once or twice a year. I’m not sure either is acceptable in my view.
... and of course BA were criticised on here for taking such action. They can't win, damned if they do, damned if they don't.
HIDDY likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
... and of course BA were criticised on here for taking such action. They can't win, damned if they do, damned if they don't.
As I understand it HAL mandate the proactice cancellations, BA have no choice. BA choose the flights to meet the number of slots reduced. It’s basically a way to save BA from their own incompetence.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 4:50 pm

As I understand it HAL mandate the proactice cancellations, BA have no choice. BA choose the flights to meet the number of slots reduced. It’s basically a way to save BA from their own incompetence.
Even if so, it didn't stop people coming on here whining about it ... damned if they do, damned if they don't.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.