Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

One out of Three Passengers Cannot Check In

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

One out of Three Passengers Cannot Check In

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by dwugson
It almost seems as Global Entry has become a red flag for SSSS given the number of times I've had it on flights to the US over the past two years. However it's more a nuisance than anything else especially as I travel with a lot of camera gear and related electronics. Apart from the US and London, other airports seem to be more efficient overall in dealing with security.

As far as the OP is concerned the most likely is a visa/passport check.
It definitely seems to be happening a lot more frequently, fortunately Canada security agents at pre clearance locations basically just ignore the SSSS from experience (Or worst case just swab your bag with a wand for 5 seconds).
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:17 pm

Programs: BA Silver, Amex Platinum
If it is the security check (and it looks like the same scenario as when my family of 4 travelled to Denver earlier this year) then don’t worry. I took the hand luggage and my husband had the briefest of checks at the gate. Really it was a non event! Caused us lots of worry beforehand but honestly would not be bothered about it if it happened again. Enjoy your flight.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 4:26 pm

Programs: BA Gold
It is largely security theatre, nothing to worry about whatsoever.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 9:50 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, DL GM, AA Plat, NEXUS
I had the same issue two days ago on LHR-SEA which was the last leg of a 4 leg itinerary. 99,99% you'll get SSSS on your boarding pass for which you'll get pulled aside at the gate and have your carryon luggage, electronics, shoes and socks swabbed for explosives by G4S folks.

I was traveling alone so I spent a good 5 minutes with the security contractor, as advised earlier leave as much of your belongings with your travel party members to minimize screening time.

Chill
Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:05 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Honors Diamond,Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by redadeco
I had the same issue two days ago on LHR-SEA which was the last leg of a 4 leg itinerary. 99,99% you'll get SSSS on your boarding pass for which you'll get pulled aside at the gate and have your carryon luggage, electronics, shoes and socks swabbed for explosives by G4S folks.

I was traveling alone so I spent a good 5 minutes with the security contractor, as advised earlier leave as much of your belongings with your travel party members to minimize screening time.

Chill
Thanks All. It was the fact that just one of the party had been selected that concerned me a little. Thankfully, as we're on the latest Boston flight tonight, looks like we're still on and fingers crossed that stays the case.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 10:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by thegamebird
Flying LHR-BOS in Club tomorrow. Myself, Mr Gamebird and Mini Gamebird. Went to check in online this evening as always and all good for the husband and son, but against my name is the message "Sorry, we can’t check you in for this flight. Please go to the airport check-in desk."

A little background, we were originally flying on the 12th, but two days ago changed to tomorrow's flight (11th) when redemption availability opened up. The agent reissued the tickets there and then and allowed us to select our seats. All pretty standard. Saying that, there's been a red banner for a while saying that we need to add API, but I'd done this ages ago. I checked it and it's all in an correct, however the red banner is still there.

Slightly worried now! Anyone know why 2/3 passengers would be OK to OLCI but not the third? Insights and experiences welcome as always.
Sounds like someone ended up with the dreaded SSSS...it will say so on the BP. Add more time for extra security screening EVERYWHERE.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 11:23 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Add more time for extra security screening EVERYWHERE.
I thought SSSS just meant the extra check at the gate? That was the only consequence for me the last few times I had it and, as others reported on the thread, it meant 5 minutes of checking through my carry on bags. Has that changed now? I don't remember the central security points at LHR being remotely interested in whether I had SSSS and that experience at least was no different to normal.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Sounds like someone ended up with the dreaded SSSS...it will say so on the BP. Add more time for extra security screening EVERYWHERE.
SSSS is a minor inconvenience; nothing more. I had it at Manchester in October and all it meant was a brief (less than 5 minute) check and swab of my hand luggage, electronics and shoes at the door to the aircraft.

I don't know if it was as a consequence of having the SSSS for the first leg, but all the remaining boarding passes for my outward journey had "pre-check" on them, which saved me a lot of time and hassle. It seemed to me to be a fair trade-off.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:55 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by KARFA
I thought SSSS just meant the extra check at the gate? That was the only consequence for me the last few times I had it and, as others reported on the thread, it meant 5 minutes of checking through my carry on bags. Has that changed now? I don't remember the central security points at LHR being remotely interested in whether I had SSSS and that experience at least was no different to normal.
It depends on how many gates you have to go through. I pulled SSSS last year on a 5 flight itinerary from LAX through Europe...LGW, FRA, ZRH..and at LGW you have to go through Security for connecting flights too. I got checked at the security checks after being pulled aside...then, checked again at boarding. Sometimes they will even pull you aside in the jetway, as they had a little ad hoc screening area as happened to me at GRU last year when I pulled another SSSS.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:08 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
It depends on how many gates you have to go through. I pulled SSSS last year on a 5 flight itinerary from LAX through Europe...LGW, FRA, ZRH..and at LGW you have to go through Security for connecting flights too. I got checked at the security checks after being pulled aside...then, checked again at boarding. Sometimes they will even pull you aside in the jetway, as they had a little ad hoc screening area as happened to me at GRU last year when I pulled another SSSS.
Ok, thanks I have never seen that. I often do multi-leg itineraries with flights before and after the TATL and the SSSS has only appeared on the TATL bp and not the others. I am typically connecting through T5 or T3 on to the TATL and it was only at the gate when there was any evidence of anything "extra" because of the SSSS. In terms of security for the flight before the TATL and central security at T3/5 it was no different than normal and there was no attempt to differentiate those with SSSS and those without. Everyone connecting through the UK has to be re-screened (unless connecting from a domestic flight) so SSS has no bearing on that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.