Help with delayed flights

Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Help with delayed flights

Good morning guys,
Up until now (touch wood) never needed any help with delays but need advice.
Flying MCO-PHL-MAD-PMI
A delay in MCO means I miss my connecting flight.
I'm looking for help with
-my flight is operated by AA and IB but on a BA ticket. Will anyone put me up in a hotel as it's looking like all options will involve n overnight.
- can we claim expenses if they don't? Do we speak to BA? Do we speak to American?
-can we claim eu261?
-the AA women on the phone said it was "prior maintence delays" when I asked if the delay was due to weather? How do I check this for AA768? Thanks for all and any help.

Mark
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Which flights are delayed, and what are the reasons for the delays?
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
Which flights are delayed, and what are the reasons for the delays?
My original flight MCO-PHL was delayed and has been confirmed as maintance issue.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:48 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I can't see EC251 applying here, that's one of the disadvantages of using AA on routings.

However usually AA will provide hotel accommodation if that is the cause. You would normally get that via a card issued in MCO airport, it will typically be at a utilitarian level rather than luxurious. AA is responsible for any out of pocket expenses. You may be better looking at your travel insurance policy if you have one. On the other hand AA will rebook fairly freely on any sensible routing, including BA, if that proves necessary, so by all means look at options which suit you the best before approaching AA.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I can't see EC251 applying here, that's one of the disadvantages of using AA on routings.

However usually AA will provide hotel accommodation if that is the cause. You would normally get that via a card issued in MCO airport, it will typically be at a utilitarian level rather than luxurious. AA is responsible for any out of pocket expenses. You may be better looking at your travel insurance policy if you have one. On the other hand AA will rebook fairly freely on any sensible routing, including BA, if that proves necessary, so by all means look at options which suit you the best before approaching AA.
Thanks for this. I have already approached with a BA solution but the lady is struggling to get us on the BA.
Does the AA routing still not help that it's a 125 ticket?
Old Dec 9, 2017, 12:11 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by marconess
Thanks for this. I have already approached with a BA solution but the lady is struggling to get us on the BA.
Does the AA routing still not help that it's a 125 ticket?
In theory, despite being a 125 ticket, you are firmly in a joint business arrangement then any BA/IB/AA solution should be possible. BA and AA are on different systems which makes it trickier for the AA agent, but usually if there are seats showing available then AA generally will try very hard to make it happen. The ticketing may need intervention from BA staff at PHL (?) but so long as they get you seats that can normally be resolved at PHL or whereever.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

All sorted now. However 10hour layover in London and a airport change. Does anyone have experience claiming expenses for these sort of delays? I'm by no way trying to milk the system in anyway but also aware the fault isn't mine.

Lunch at Orlando as we wait for the flight?
Transport from LGW to LHR? How direct does this need to be? Food in London? Etc

No overnight required now luckily.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 1:17 pm

It's not certain that AA will pay your expenses, but generally they will for BAEC status passengers. So you best be fairly frugal, spending what you would have to pay if it was totally your fault, keep and photo the receipts, then send them in when you're in a position to do so. If you are in no hurry to transfer airports in London, then it's cheaper to take the tube into town and then the Southern from Victoria. Under the Montral Convention AA is supposed to make good anything in this area but few airlines cover themselves in glory on this one. You may, however, get a voucher from AA by way of customer service remediation.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 1:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
It's not certain that AA will pay your expenses, but generally they will for BAEC status passengers. So you best be fairly frugal, spending what you would have to pay if it was totally your fault, keep and photo the receipts, then send them in when you're in a position to do so. If you are in no hurry to transfer airports in London, then it's cheaper to take the tube into town and then the Southern from Victoria. Under the Montral Convention AA is supposed to make good anything in this area but few airlines cover themselves in glory on this one. You may, however, get a voucher from AA by way of customer service remediation.
Okay. So AA won't cover meals etc even though it's 'their' fault? No worries. It seems complicated cause it's BA marketed and their site says they'll cover expenses but AA seem more tight.
Anyway, going to eat as I would and may speak to BA staff (flying them now) when get to Heathrow.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 1:38 pm

Okay. So AA won't cover meals etc even though it's 'their' fault? No worries. It seems complicated cause it's BA marketed and their site says they'll cover expenses but AA seem more tight.
Anyway, going to eat as I would and may speak to BA staff (flying them now) when get to Heathrow.
It's the operating airline that counts, not whoever marketed it, just one of life's inconsistencies. Had BA or IB caused the problem it would be a different matter, you would be able to cover expenses and probably compensation too under EC261. As I say there is a legal basis for your claim for expenses, in terms of Montral, but airlines tend to invoke the Convention's various get-out clauses. That is why insurance may be a better option in this situation.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Thanks corporate wage slave. Been lurking these forms for ages and you're always super helpful. Appreciate the help.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 3:46 pm
Original Poster

Annoyingly enough American are now saying to contact British Airways with regards to all expenses... *Shrugs*
Old Dec 9, 2017, 4:10 pm

Annoyingly enough American are now saying to contact British Airways with regards to all expenses... *Shrugs*
That may be correct actually, if you paid BA for the ticket, and in fact there is a liaison process between BA and AA in this area. But BA will just lob it over to AA to resolve unless there is a ticket refund due, which doesn't seem to be the case. You will find forms on the AA website for making customer service claims.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 4:25 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
It's really easy to get annoyed by the information (and perhaps misinformation you receive) during IRROPS. The best advice I can give is to just do your best, save receipts, and deal with getting reimbursed when you return home. This advice might be easier said than done, but in my experience, you'll have more time after the journey than you will now, and it's really not much fun traveling being worked up when someone gives you bad or conflicting information at the airport, etc.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 5:31 am
Original Poster

So Incase anyone is interested in the (very condensed) story.

-At MCO notice flight to PHL is late so will miss onward flight.
-AA agent allowed me to borrow her phone instead of waiting in line. I found a MCO-LGW LHR-BCN-PMI flight option I liked but agent on phone said she wouldn't be able to book me on any flight options that didn't contain an AA flight so I should speak to a desk agent.
- passed security and helpful agent booked me on these flights
- got to gatwick and found sooner flights which avoided a trip to Heathrow and was a 3hr layover rather than 10hour.
-gatwick agents helpfully put me on the flights I suggested
-ended up arriving 2hours later than originally planned.

Overall VERY impressed with all the agents I encountered. Particularly AA at MCO and BA at Gatwick.
Moral, as always suggested here... Head to the desk with a suitable solution rather than just a 'im going to miss my flight'
​​​​​

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.