Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad weather disruption - UK/AMS/NW Europe - 10 & 11 December 2017

Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA current newsflash here / London Cancellation list for Tuesday here
Rebooking policy for operating flights on Monday and Tuesday here / EC261 main thread here
ba.com/helpme one stop shop on BA.com giving lots of advice and pointers to where to claim expenses.
For EC261, delay/cancellation compensation is not payable for this event but BA is still liable for the Regulation's Right to care provisions. Refreshments can be claimed after 2 hours of delay departing (3 hours for flights longer than LHR-Rome, 4 hours for longhaul), 200 guideline for hotels - OK to book your own and charge back. 50 guideline for taxis. Meals, drinks and communication costs are also covered. Keep / photo receipts. If on a Buy on Board aircraft, use Avios to buy items - it will be faster to refund. For missing baggage, it's OK to claim essential items, such as clothing, toiletries. Keep / photo the receipts.
Print Wikipost

Old Dec 9, 2017, 10:01 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer

BA have issued a travel advisory for the snow, wind and ice due to hit AMS tomorrow. Details below.

Looking at their forecast, they are expecting snow to fall from 06:00 hrs through to about 15:00 when it turns to sleet and then rain. I would expect some problems at BRU too, though I haven't heard anything. My experience is that when AMS sneezes, LCY goes down with a cold/flu/pneumonia but they only have flights in the afternoon. I've checked the domestic schedule and BRU and so far no other cancellations, but I suspect BHD, MAN and LBA may be at risk, perhaps GLA too.

If you are going to AMS on Sunday on a back to back think carefully before calling, by all means reach out here for advice.

Cancelled:
BA2758 and 2759 LGW departing 07:45 / AMS departing 10:50
BA430 and 431 LHR departing 08:15 / AMS 11:40
BA434 and 434 LHR departing 10:55 / AMS 14:15

If your flight is cancelled you can rebook to another date, on a joint venture airline or get a refund.

------
For flights operating, if you are due to go to AMS on Sunday you can rebook inflexible tickets:

Advice for British Airways-125 ticketed customers whose BA, AA, IB or AY flight is sOPERATING.
Rebook onto BA, AA, IB or AY Joint Business

Airports affected
AMS - Amsterdam
Tickets issued on or before 08 December 2017

Ticket travel dates 10 December 2017
New travel allowed dates: 9TH December – 13TH December 2017

Rebooking Allowance
Rebook into the same class as the original flight or lowest available in the same cabin
Origin/Destination/Stopover changes: No
Refunds Allowed: No
Redemptions included: Yes
Available for Trade: Yes
Important Info: one involuntary ticket change allowed

The jargon free version of the above is that if you are flying to AMS you can either call up BA and rebook to today, or later next week. If you are in LHR/LGW now then you can also get a ticketing agent to help. The advisory is quite new so it is possible that you will need to draw it to the agent's attention.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 10:14 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
So glad Im here for the day and not overnight now
Old Dec 9, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
I was going to go somewhere in Europe tomorrow for the hell of it, but I'll go home instead rather than risk it.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, HH Gold
Bugger. I’m doing back to back BA428 and BA429, the first rotation from LHR in the morning then BA9 to BKK in the afternoon.

i think I’m best off just going to T5 in the morning rather than calling to change anything yet? I’m staying at a Heathrow hotel tonight
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:13 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by manymany
I’m doing back to back BA428 and BA429, the first rotation from LHR in the morning then BA9 to BKK in the afternoon.

i think I’m best off just going to T5 in the morning rather than calling to change anything yet? I’m staying at a Heathrow hotel tonight
You have a four hour gap between your AMS-LHR sector and the LHR-BKK flight, if I've understood correctly. And you're leaving LHR at 06:45 and hopefully in AMS before the worst of the bad weather or any delays pile up. Assuming you don't want to push your travel over until Monday or later, my inclination is to give it a go on the booked service, since the chances currently are you will get to AMS OK. Being a back to back this means that if anything happens on the return you'll be rebooked anyway. So I would not call up, unless you do want a deferral, but maybe arrive at LHR a bit earlier than necessary, say 05:30, so that if necessary you can negotiate the cancellation of the AMS sectors, should it appear there are bad problems already (unlikely I suspect). Clearly it's worth keeping an eye on ba.com/arrdep before leaving your hotel just in case there are further cancellations.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:15 am

All the morning flights mentioning AMS are showing as cancelled on the boards at Helsinki.

I suppose it's possible that they want them let at AMS so that they're not too out of position?
Old Dec 9, 2017, 11:21 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
You have a four hour gap between your AMS-LHR sector and the LHR-BKK flight, if I've understood correctly. And you're leaving LHR at 06:45 and hopefully in AMS before the worst of the bad weather or any delays pile up. Assuming you don't want to push your travel over until Monday or later, my inclination is to give it a go on the booked service, since the chances currently are you will get to AMS OK. Being a back to back this means that if anything happens on the return you'll be rebooked anyway. So I would not call up, unless you do want a deferral, but maybe arrive at LHR a bit earlier than necessary, say 05:30, so that if necessary you can negotiate the cancellation of the AMS sectors, should it appear there are bad problems already (unlikely I suspect). Clearly it's worth keeping an eye on ba.com/arrdep before leaving your hotel just in case there are further cancellations.
Thanks CWS, I thought that would the best thing to do. I dont want to defer to Monday but I can if I have too.

thanks
Old Dec 9, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Flying Blue Plat, UA Silver, Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Ambassador
KLM are proactively rebooking ahead of Sunday problems in AMS - just benefitted from that myself heading home from DUS.
Old Dec 9, 2017, 10:37 pm

BA428 & BA429 still appear to be operating. There was a note on check in desk about weather in Amsterdam, it said they will try and put on a larger aircraft on a later flight to accommodate for the cancelled flights.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:34 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
It looks like GVA is closed at the moment due to snow.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 1:51 am

Arrived on time on 428. They have delayed boarding 428 by 1 hour until 10:50 because of traffic restrictions. No snow yet.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:02 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by florens
It looks like GVA is closed at the moment due to snow.
The LGW - GVA flight is cancelled (BA2744/5) and 2.5 hour delays showing on some of the later services - this may change as the day progresses.

In fact I'm seeing a lot of delays creeping into the schedule today (e.g. DUS, 1 to 2 hour, NCL).

Some domestic cancellations (BA1448/9, LHR-EDI-LHR, BA1394/5 LHR-MAN-LHR, BA1342/3 LHR-LBA-LHR but that's ok since KARFA is in Brazil). Also MRS, MUC, VIE have cancellations and I see quite a lot of red in the 11:00 to 13:00 hrs area, which suggest aircraft are getting delayed returning from the mainland.

LGW running OK on the whole,
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:05 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The LGW - GVA flight is cancelled (BA2744/5) and 2.5 hour delays showing on some of the later services - this may change as the day progresses.
The two earlier services (2736/2748) are currently holding. I wouldnt be surprised if they diverted to LYS or ZRH.

Edit: They seem to be starting approaches again right now.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:11 am

Just arrived at LHR pretty much on time from HEL.
Snowing and no visibility until the last couple of minutes.
Lots of water coming off the runway.

Now the fun of driving up north.
Defintely not planning on flying again today.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 2:14 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA LTG, Hilton Diamond, FB Platinum, EK Gold
Bugger, flying out of AMS to LHR at 21.00. Lots of delays and cancellations showing although this service is still showing on time. Would be very surprised if that stayed that way. Still waiting for the snow to start falling, though.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.