Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad weather disruption - UK/AMS/NW Europe - 10 & 11 December 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA current newsflash here / London Cancellation list for Tuesday here
Rebooking policy for operating flights on Monday and Tuesday here / EC261 main thread here
ba.com/helpme one stop shop on BA.com giving lots of advice and pointers to where to claim expenses.
For EC261, delay/cancellation compensation is not payable for this event but BA is still liable for the Regulation's “Right to care” provisions. Refreshments can be claimed after 2 hours of delay departing (3 hours for flights longer than LHR-Rome, 4 hours for longhaul), Ł200 guideline for hotels - OK to book your own and charge back. Ł50 guideline for taxis. Meals, drinks and communication costs are also covered. Keep / photo receipts. If on a Buy on Board aircraft, use Avios to buy items - it will be faster to refund. For missing baggage, it's OK to claim essential items, such as clothing, toiletries. Keep / photo the receipts.
Print Wikipost

Bad weather disruption - UK/AMS/NW Europe - 10 & 11 December 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This morning's newsflash on BA.com. I see the standard plea not to go to the airport if you don't have a confirmed flight, however for those unable to get through on the telephones and really do need to travel, then there doesn't seem to be an alternative other than to go to the airport.

Snow and ice across UK and Europe – Flight schedule reduction

Answer Id 6236 Updated 11/12/2017 05.18 AM (UK time)
Summary
Heathrow is continuing to experience severe adverse weather conditions. As a result of the forecast of continued bad weather we have agreed with Heathrow Airport, National Air Traffic Services (NATS) and other airlines to reduce our flight schedule from Heathrow on Monday December 11.

More informationFlights affected have been updated and customers are advised to check the status of their flight before leaving for the airport.

> Check the status of your flight

You can also check your flight status on your mobile phone or download the BA app.

In order to help customers who have been disrupted the airline has added some additional flights into London from a number of short-haul destinations. These flights are now available for re-booking via our 'Manage my booking' tool.

Safety is always our priority, and as temperatures remain low, we are having to de-ice every individual aircraft before it departs.

We are very sorry for the difficulties caused by the poor weather. We have brought in additional staff who are re-booking customers onto the next available flights and offering hotel accommodation for those who require it. Our teams around the world are working around the clock, doing all they can to help customers and to get flights away.

Please do not travel to the airport if your flight has been cancelled.

WHAT TO DO IF YOUR FLIGHT HAS BEEN CANCELLED OR YOUR FLIGHT IS OPERATING BUT YOU WOULD LIKE TO CHANGE THE TRAVEL DATE?

If you're flying to or from Heathrow today, Monday December 11, we are offering the opportunity to re-book on alternative flights up until Monday December 18, free of charge.

Customers can re-book their flight through the 'Manage my booking' tool.

Customers due to travel to or from Heathrow, and who still wish to travel today are advised to check here for the status of their flight before travelling to the airport.

Please do not travel to the airport if your flight has been cancelled.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
The BA.com change flight mechanism is working much better than yesterday. There are the usual incorrect signs suggesting there is a change fee, but on the final screen it indicated it was free of charge. I've done 2 changes via BA.com rather than MMB and it was fairly slick, whereas yesterday it was like wading through deep snow treacle.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:41 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
BA have opened up availability on diverted aircraft returning to London, so for example there was zero availability from NCL to LHR yesterday due to the pre-advised cancellations, however the diverted FRA aircraft, a rare 767 to visit NCL, is returning with 4 other additional services between 09:00 and 10:00 this morning and has availability in both CE and ET. It's a pity some of them aren't scheduled for the afternoon. Anyway the message is to keep checking availability via BA.com, ExpertFlyer or indeed here.
To further emphasise, this seems true of many of the diverted aircraft currently scattered around the UK. I think a few upthread also mentioned being on the LBA route, two aircraft which diverted to LBA last night are due to depart at 1000 for LHR (BA587 & BA550). Both showing availability in ET and CE and also bookable on ba,com. Bearing in mind the normal morning and midday rotations are also cancelled today, those who were on those wanting to head south may wish to call BA and try and get on these.

There is a third BA divert currently at LBA (BA951 from MUC) but it's not clear what the plan for this one is yet. EDIT: not showing on ba,com yet but apparently it is due out at 1330.

Last edited by KARFA; Dec 11, 2017 at 1:47 am
Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, Starwood Platinum
I really don't understand why they don't list alternative options on the website and ask us to call them when they're not even taking calls! What are alternatives to reaching BA?
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 1:57 am

Programs: BAEC
Still stuck in Stockholm... So after having our flight BA783 cancelled last night and now then got rebooked onto the BA781 today, that got cancelled overnight as well (schedule 767 service so perhaps stuck in NCL).

Unfortuabtely we haven’t been rebooked in a service yet unlike the gentleman who’s been reroute via HEL. Any suggestions on how we can get back today? As presume BA will want to delay us tommorow.

If I buy a new ticket with another carrier will BA reimburse?
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:00 am

Programs: BAEC
Quick bit of advice - I've rebooked myself back on two alternative flights today, one to LHR and one to LGW. Both aircraft have now left London and are in the air on their way to me. We have checked bags and LHR is far easier for us than LGW (in terms of getting home with bags). I know LGW has largely been unaffected but does anyone know what arrivals/baggage at LHR is like? I'd rather take the LHR flight but if it's going to take hours to get on stand or get bags back at LHR then clearly LGW makes sense.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:09 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Firstly thanks for all the nice mentions upthread. It probably seems odd that I'm not acknowledging them but I'm sort of concentrating on the problem cases. But thank you nevertheless for the kind words.
I don't think anyone would expect you to be acknowledging the praise, as it must surely be a full-time job keeping us all informed of cancellations and updates and offering advice. I'd just like to add my thanks for the brilliant job you're doing, and have always done. This forum wouldn't be half as good a resource without you.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:11 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Perhaps I am being overly cynical but I am wondering in BA does not put though staff front of house so to speak, as they calculate that many people won't know the rules and will opt just to stay at the airport or won't reclaim the expenses due to them, thus sparing BA the expense of booking hotels for them?
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:12 am

Programs: BA Gold, AA EXP
CPH was chaos yesterday. At least we were booked on the last flight back to LHR. Many people had been there all afternoon from the earlier flights which were increasingly showing as delayed and then eventually cancelled. Everyone was told to wait in line at the Menzies desk which was incredibly slow moving. KL, FR and some others were also impacted.

It took about 40 minutes to get through to the GGL line but we were eventually rebooked onto a flight today (most of those are already showing cancelled though, our BA815 is hanging in there, for now at least).
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:24 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver
I am desperate. After cancelling my flight HAM-LHR yesterday, BA rebooked my to a flight Tuesday morning which has now been cancelled again. Now i CAN´T rebook online (got a message saying I should call) and BA is not taking call. Not sure if going to the airport will help, as BA has no staff in Hamburg. ANY ADVICE PLEASE?

Thanks
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:30 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Reasonable is under Ł200 per room per night, taxi to total no more than Ł50 however neither limit is fixed in law so it's an unenforceable aspiration on BA's part. And yes if it needs 2 nights, so be it. However keep checking the availability, I can see a lot has changed overnight.
^ Thanks. Last night was 209Ł (with breakfast though) and I'm managed to get a place at a relative to stay tonight so I expect BA to fully refund the one hotel night.

BTW: I nominate C-W-S as member of the year.

Originally Posted by Etxebas
I am desperate. After cancelling my flight HAM-LHR yesterday, BA rebooked my to a flight Tuesday morning which has now been cancelled again. Now i CAN´T rebook online (got a message saying I should call) and BA is not taking call. Not sure if going to the airport will help, as BA has no staff in Hamburg. ANY ADVICE PLEASE?
I stood in the queues for 3 hours yesterday. Barely moved an inch and they eventually just closed the desk. The presence of BA staff or not is thus no indicator as to your chances of being rebooked.
Silver Fox and msm2000uk like this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:32 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Just spoke to BA about moving my flight from last night. Policy says it must be rebooked for travel within the next two weeks which doesn’t work for me at all due to colleagues being on leave for the Christmas holiday period. I asked to rebook for January and they can’t accomodate that.

However it’s a fully flex ticket so I can cancel it and book my next trip with whoever I decide. I would have thought it would make sense for BA to rebook in January and lock me in to using their service rather than risk me going elsewhere. Oh well.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:34 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, United 1K, Avis Presidents Club, Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold Elite

Thanks
I think its time you took matters into your own hands and booked reasonable flights back to London, keeping the receipt and evidence it was one of the cheapest available. Then apply for a refund via BA or travel insurance. It's not ideal, but probably the least frustrating and most effective. If you can't do that/don't have travel insurance, then going to the airport is the next most effective option- they seem to have more freedom than the call centres to book non-BA/One World alternatives for you
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:38 am

Thanks
Perhaps try booking with another airline or train HAM-BRU then Eurostar home.None of which is very satisfactory but if your desperate needs must.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by oxtailsoup
However it’s a fully flex ticket so I can cancel it and book my next trip with whoever I decide. I would have thought it would make sense for BA to rebook in January and lock me in to using their service rather than risk me going elsewhere. Oh well.
Well the fact that it's fully flex doesn't really matter in that respect, since as the flight was cancelled you're entitled to a refund and to rebook with whomever you like anyway.

That said, if it is genuinely fully flex then of course you are entitled to change it to whatever date you please irrespective of the current disruption policy. That should ordinarily be doable in MMB but if that's not working then the call centre should be able to do it, but they are probably too confused/overwhelmed to realise that.
adrianlondon and Tobias-UK like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.