Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad weather disruption - UK/AMS/NW Europe - 10 & 11 December 2017

Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA current newsflash here / London Cancellation list for Tuesday here
Rebooking policy for operating flights on Monday and Tuesday here / EC261 main thread here
ba.com/helpme one stop shop on BA.com giving lots of advice and pointers to where to claim expenses.
For EC261, delay/cancellation compensation is not payable for this event but BA is still liable for the Regulation's Right to care provisions. Refreshments can be claimed after 2 hours of delay departing (3 hours for flights longer than LHR-Rome, 4 hours for longhaul), 200 guideline for hotels - OK to book your own and charge back. 50 guideline for taxis. Meals, drinks and communication costs are also covered. Keep / photo receipts. If on a Buy on Board aircraft, use Avios to buy items - it will be faster to refund. For missing baggage, it's OK to claim essential items, such as clothing, toiletries. Keep / photo the receipts.
Print Wikipost

Bad weather disruption - UK/AMS/NW Europe - 10 & 11 December 2017

Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:06 am

Will BA provide compensation as per https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...s/compensation for all these cancelled flights? Or 2 cms of snow are considered extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided by all reasonable measures?
Old Dec 12, 2017, 8:12 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Alex1986
Will BA provide compensation as per https://www.britishairways.com/en-us...s/compensation for all these cancelled flights? Or 2 cms of snow are considered extraordinary circumstances which could not have been avoided by all reasonable measures?
As indicated in the wiki, BA won't be paying compensation for delays on Sunday or Monday and I'm sure they will cite extraordinary circumstances. Today (Tuesday) could perhaps be argued, unless Heathrow told BA to cut flight numbers.
Tobias-UK likes this.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:43 am

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
As indicated in the wiki, BA won't be paying compensation for delays on Sunday or Monday and I'm sure they will cite extraordinary circumstances. Today (Tuesday) could perhaps be argued, unless Heathrow told BA to cut flight numbers.
My rebooked flight HAM-LHR today was also cancelled (original flight date was Sunday). I guess this is as a result of the LHR-HAM on Monday being also cancelled. Do you think there is any chance for compensation?

Thanks!
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:49 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Etxebas
My rebooked flight HAM-LHR today was also cancelled (original flight date was Sunday). I guess this is as a result of the LHR-HAM on Monday being also cancelled. Do you think there is any chance for compensation?
Readily from BA? Zero chance. If you get really stuck into it and consider legal remedies - well, still unlikely I feel, but perhaps not impossible. Just one person's opinion, there may be other valid stances. Essentially this event will be treated by BA are purely extraordinary circumstances so you'll only find a different view by taking the matter outside BA's control. I can't see CEDR (the dispute resolution company) being helpful either.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 9:58 am
Original Poster

Important news for those travelling to India

BA is struggling to find capacity to India at the moment - not just due to the weather incident over the last 2 days but with several aircraft out and a 777 stuck in Baku.

Consequently if you are on a revenue booking to India from London Heathrow (but not in the other direction), on services which were cancelled, then BA is now rebooking travellers to Air India and Jet Airways. You can call the Contact Centres to enable this. The exception, for some reason, is that Jet service 117 to BOM cannot be used. This arrangement is in place for services up to and including 15 December. Avios is not available for this service (legally dubious this!) and Trade/Corporate need to liaise with BA support contacts to see what can be negotiated.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:06 am

Programs: emirates british airways priority pass
Important news for those travelling to India

BA is struggling to find capacity to India at the moment - not just due to the weather incident over the last 2 days but with several aircraft out and a 777 stuck in Baku.

Consequently if you are on a revenue booking to India from London Heathrow (but not in the other direction), on services which were cancelled, then BA is now rebooking travellers to Air India and Jet Airways. You can call the Contact Centres to enable this. The exception, for some reason, is that Jet service 117 to BOM cannot be used. This arrangement is in place for services up to and including 15 December. Avios is not available for this service (legally dubious this!) and Trade/Corporate need to liaise with BA support contacts to see what can be negotiated.
HOLY! Thanks a ton CWS for all the information!
Old Dec 12, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Thanks Ksmax dor your articulate comments, that was my experience Sunday as well. But get ready for people who werent even there to give you a very British brush back and suggest you should be thankful for the letter (how polite, no?), that there was no reason to extend the hours of the lounges or airport counters (because, all the friendly staff you could try to reach by phone!) and just generally what else could BA have done? The airport AND the airline experienced complete system failures on Sunday.

BTW, every FTer flying thru T5 Heathrow should learn this trick-> YOU CAN ACCESS IMMIGRATION BY TAKING THE TRAIN TO T5C AND THEN JUST STAYING ON WHEN IT GOES BACK TO T5A. Once the lounge closure was announced, i used this trick to access fast track immigration and be on the HEx in 20 minutes.
Old Dec 12, 2017, 11:54 am

Wow, I have a transit via LHR on early morning Dec18th on BA.
Hope that is smooth.

Last edited by flyer31; Dec 12, 2017 at 12:03 pm
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Silver
Readily from BA? Zero chance. If you get really stuck into it and consider legal remedies - well, still unlikely I feel, but perhaps not impossible. Just one person's opinion, there may be other valid stances. Essentially this event will be treated by BA are purely extraordinary circumstances so you'll only find a different view by taking the matter outside BA's control. I can't see CEDR (the dispute resolution company) being helpful either.
Just what I thought!

Cant believe how much knowledge you have about BA and the industry itself!! Definitely more than myself as a former Watersider

Also wanted to thank you for all the great advice you provide everyday in this forum, myself and I am sure many others believe this forum would not be half as good without you and the other ambassadors - BIG THANKS!
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:55 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, AA Plat, Volare Premier, VS Silver, National Emerald Elite, Hertz President Circle
Two days after the original problem Lines still jam packed. What a joke of an airline.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 2:48 am
Original Poster

I think this thread has served its purpose now, there are only 6 cancellations today which is fairly normal. The follow-up thread for compensation related issues are:
- EC261 - linked in the Wiki also available in the Dashboard.
- Reports on customer service e-vouchers here

Of the cancellations today, 2 are slot sitting services to ABZ and NCL which were cancelled a while back. The DOH service is also another longer term cancellation. There is also a MRS service BA366 at 07:35, and rather unusually a cancellation to MIA (BA209) and another to LAX (BA269) which I suspect are down to equipment shortages /787 issue, the latter was pre-advised.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:01 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
I think this thread has served its purpose now, there are only 6 cancellations today which is fairly normal. The follow-up thread for compensation related issues are:
- EC261 - linked in the Wiki also available in the Dashboard.
- Reports on customer service e-vouchers here

Of the cancellations today, 2 are slot sitting services to ABZ and NCL which were cancelled a while back. The DOH service is also another longer term cancellation. There is also a MRS service BA366 at 07:35, and rather unusually a cancellation to MIA (BA209) and another to LAX (BA269) which I suspect are down to equipment shortages /787 issue, the latter was pre-advised.
BA 269 is the A380, I guess they are short one after all the disruption?
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:03 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Might be linked to XLEA which is stuck in JNB?

Flying with the jinxed crew - BA56 ex JNB
Old Dec 13, 2017, 3:13 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Location: UK - the nearest airport is named after a motorway !
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
Originally Posted by florens
Might be linked to XLEA which is stuck in JNB?

Flying with the jinxed crew - BA56 ex JNB
Probably - we had a revised departure of 14h today for an hour or so last night, but then this morning that's moved to 21:25. The 56 for tonight has been pushed back to 02:10 tomorrow morning, so I think possibly we're going to take their plane and they'll take LEA or the 380 that should have been going to Miami, depending on how broken LEA is.

The AF A380 from JNB was also cancelled last night (took off, dumped fuel, landed) so that's an extra 2 x 380 departures tonight - they may just have pushed 56 back to have enough 380 capable gates between 18h and 22h...

Two pairs of flights with the same flight numbers (BA56 and AF995) - JNB will be a joy tonight...
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Hilton HHonours Diamond
Hi all, I wondered if anyone knows the precise reason BA gave for cancelling BA67 on 10 Dec - whether it was weather / de-icing / mech, etc. I was scheduled to be on it before it cancelled, and was then rebooked onto a later AA flight to JFK. I wasn't given any info at T5. I found out it was cancelled from the screens, and then had someone else in my HHA call to rebook whilst I waited in T5. Thanks!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.