Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad weather disruption - UK/AMS/NW Europe - 10 & 11 December 2017

Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA current newsflash here / London Cancellation list for Tuesday here
Rebooking policy for operating flights on Monday and Tuesday here / EC261 main thread here
ba.com/helpme one stop shop on BA.com giving lots of advice and pointers to where to claim expenses.
For EC261, delay/cancellation compensation is not payable for this event but BA is still liable for the Regulation's “Right to care” provisions. Refreshments can be claimed after 2 hours of delay departing (3 hours for flights longer than LHR-Rome, 4 hours for longhaul), Ł200 guideline for hotels - OK to book your own and charge back. Ł50 guideline for taxis. Meals, drinks and communication costs are also covered. Keep / photo receipts. If on a Buy on Board aircraft, use Avios to buy items - it will be faster to refund. For missing baggage, it's OK to claim essential items, such as clothing, toiletries. Keep / photo the receipts.
Print Wikipost

Bad weather disruption - UK/AMS/NW Europe - 10 & 11 December 2017

Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: Many. Too many. I came here to cut them down. I failed.
Originally Posted by orbitmic
I assume that there is no general problem in Stockholm and it is only LHR which causes the issue for you? I think that as advised above, in such cases, I would encourage anyone to book the cheapest alternative and claim back indeed. EC261 suggests "rerouting on the first available flight" without specifying that it has to be on the same carrier so if the airline cannot accommodate and do this directly, I would personally do it myself and push for reimbursement. That said, having a good travel insurance 'in case' is always recommended and would reimburse the cost of the new flights following cancellation due to weather almost invariably.
Still really good availability on the 2 x remaining Norwegian flights to Gatwick - seriously look at them.BA has J3 on the 18:05 BA 783 to LHR tonight though.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:35 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
BA is free to set some guidelines as to hotel costs, meals and so on. However this has no basis in law. Now Ł300 for a hotel seems a lot to me, and personally I would move to somewhere more cost effective, but BA actually can't restrict the amount spent to Ł200 unless it is prepared to put in the effort to book hotels for its passengers. If a claim was made for Ł300 BA would readily pay Ł200 but you probably would need to put in considerable effort to get the rest. I do know of cases where they have (reluctantly) paid more.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:39 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
NCE Airport is closed until 2100 today.

M
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:42 am

Programs: BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Trent900Powered
I'll be putting forward a robust argument as to why they should be paying Ł300 for the second night!

anymore advice appreciated.
As others have noted, the guideline amount is Ł200. corporate-wage-slave has previously questioned the legality of such a limit, however, I strongly suspect that if you claim for Ł300, BA will - at least initially - only offer to cover the first Ł200 of that. Depends on your appetite for what would likely be a long running argument with them...

I can understand a reluctance to move - I think your position would be stronger if that was the cheapest option available, but e.g. Hilton are still showing a number of central London properties under Ł200 for tonight (at time of writing anyway), which may weaken your position.

Edit: Beaten to it by c-w-s. Personally, I think I'd be pragmatic and just move, but as mentioned, depends on your appetite to chase the rest.

Last edited by BertieBadger; Dec 11, 2017 at 7:58 am Reason: Typo that reversed meaning!
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:50 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
AMS weather is bad; snowing steadily here. Regional transport is degraded. Departures later in the evening are cancelled to many places.

BA has cancelled many flights, but I would not expect others to operate well or at all, or alternatives to be easily available. I suggest not trying back to back here in the next couple of days, for example.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: BA Gold
Thanks everyone, i guess my mitigating circumstances are that it's me and my boy. Had it been me, then I'd move, but packing, unpacking etc with him too seems a bit harsh. Either way amex should cover any short fall BA may not pay.

Thanks for all the advice.

Having a lovely day out in London with my boy courtesy of BA!
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:59 am

Originally Posted by Trent900Powered
Thanks everyone, i guess my mitigating circumstances are that it's me and my boy. Had it been me, then I'd move, but packing, unpacking etc with him too seems a bit harsh. Either way amex should cover any short fall BA may not pay.

Thanks for all the advice.

Having a lovely day out in London with my boy courtesy of BA!
It's also worth having a word with the front desk - we would often extend a rate through for someone who had got stuck
PETER01 and ahmetdouas like this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:01 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Diamond, UA Silver
Originally Posted by snaxmuppet
Update from Philadelphia: After the stressful time yesterday evening trying to get hold of someone to speak to at BA this morning we faired better.

After spending over 2hrs on hold yesterday I gave up and just accepted the suggested reschedule on MMB just to make sure I had a booking somewhere. This morning I called BA again and got through after 20 mins holding. Using Expert Flyer I tried to find a flight out... all flights out of JFK and EWR fully booked (not surprised!) but I did find 3 seats available on a flight out of IAD. I asked if he could rebook me on that flight and he did... so I am now making my way via a one-way car rental to Washington DC hoping we can actually get home tonight.

What a mess. Good luck everyone who is stuck.

good luck to you! I was on one of the ba iad -lhr flights yesterday; both were cancelled. As I couldn’t easily rebook with ba, I was able to switch to an AA flight out of ORD this morning. Am sitting on board with fingers crossed that I’ll get to London tonight!
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:18 am

Location: @somewhere, if help needed use my email address [email protected]
Programs: BA & QR
BA446/447
BA440/441
BA426/427

cancelled
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:20 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK Elite
Trying to help some friends stuck in LHR where they have been told they can't get to their luggage during a long delay (they are not rebooked yet). Is there any way to insists on getting the luggage out? And if so, who would they need to speak to?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:24 am

Programs: BA Blue, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold
Looking at BA's twitter feed it's full of a lot of angry people (unsurprisingly) stuck in a lot of different places and generally unable to get in touch with BA to solve their problems. Social media can amplify situations though a lot of time, does it seem like BA are beginning to get a handle on dealing with the disruption or are things no better than yesterday?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: Amex Platinum, LH SEN (Gold), BA Bronze
According to Heathrow Airport App that just sent me a notice, Heathrow is operating 75% of all flights today.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:33 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
A repeat : please keep this thread clear of hypotheticals and side-discussions and leave it for stuff directly related to the disruption.

Persistent off-topic Posts and Posters will be removed.

The mod team
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:33 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by ahmetdouas
According to Heathrow Airport App that just sent me a notice, Heathrow is operating 75% of all flights today.
Yes, funny that. So if BA is half of Heathrow that basically means that 50% of BA flights are not operating.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 8:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Eskimoboy
Looking at BA's twitter feed it's full of a lot of angry people (unsurprisingly) stuck in a lot of different places and generally unable to get in touch with BA to solve their problems. Social media can amplify situations though a lot of time, does it seem like BA are beginning to get a handle on dealing with the disruption or are things no better than yesterday?
Could be due in part to people not carrying on with re-bookings etc. and giving up for the time being,
I eventually went home during the May IT outage so I wouldn't have been trying to book new flights, tying up phone lines or agents etc.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.