Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad weather disruption - UK/AMS/NW Europe - 10 & 11 December 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA current newsflash here / London Cancellation list for Tuesday here
Rebooking policy for operating flights on Monday and Tuesday here / EC261 main thread here
ba.com/helpme one stop shop on BA.com giving lots of advice and pointers to where to claim expenses.
For EC261, delay/cancellation compensation is not payable for this event but BA is still liable for the Regulation's “Right to care” provisions. Refreshments can be claimed after 2 hours of delay departing (3 hours for flights longer than LHR-Rome, 4 hours for longhaul), £200 guideline for hotels - OK to book your own and charge back. £50 guideline for taxis. Meals, drinks and communication costs are also covered. Keep / photo receipts. If on a Buy on Board aircraft, use Avios to buy items - it will be faster to refund. For missing baggage, it's OK to claim essential items, such as clothing, toiletries. Keep / photo the receipts.
Print Wikipost

Bad weather disruption - UK/AMS/NW Europe - 10 & 11 December 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:16 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I came into LHR via SFO/ORD on AA after my AA LAX-LHR initially posted a 1hr 15 min delay which turned into a 1hr 45 min delay. Tried to make the earlier AA LAX-LHR at 1730 but it was cancelled. Glad I rerouted as the connection for my onward BA flight from LHR would have been just over an hour and I do have a checked bag. Fortunately my late afternoon flight is still on the schedule.

Two photos from the last hour (T5 F lounge- had to circle twice to find a seat, and the departure monitor):

Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:18 am

Originally Posted by Schultzois
Good luck to all from the peacefully calm CX lounge - a comparative paradise where no one seems to have any problems with their travels today.
CX lounge is so much better than the BA lounge. The staff are very welcoming too unlike the BA staff
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:22 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
sitting here in a hotel lobby keeping everything crossed to see when or if the outbound flight will depart from Heathrow to Munich. There seem to be some creeping delays which worry me
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:25 am

Originally Posted by AceCobra1
CX lounge is so much better than the BA lounge. The staff are very welcoming too unlike the BA staff
Much to their credit, however, the BA staff at the front desks of the Galleries frankly could not have been more willing to try to help me, even though they didn't really seem to understand even how a plane could end up in Bournemouth, etc. etc. They rang up internal numbers regarding missing bags, looked things up in their systems, made notes regarding my onward travel that may not have been possible otherwise. Today I give the a big thumbs up.

But I still went to the CX lounge after.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:32 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Virtuoso, FSPP, Hyatt Prive, Hilton Impressario, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Roswood Elite, MO Fan Club
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
Get the train... Even if it goes, it could have severe delays, and I'm sure you'd prefer to be in a hotel nice and early for a 7am flight.
Now shows as delayed. I've given up. Taking the VTEC down to Kings X and then to LHR

Hopefully the LHR-FRA doesn't get canned tomorrow
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:43 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Bag confusion - we had bags checked in on BA798 last night which was cancelled.

Rebooking failed so I made a new booking using Avios for tonight's BA798. A very helpful desk agent at T3 assigned the original checked bags to the new booking reference.

Tonight's 798 was cancelled and BA are refunding me that whilst they have rebooked me on tomorrow's 798 using the original booking reference.

Trouble is baggage is allocated to a now cancelled and refunded booking reference. So what happens to it - the guy I spoke to on the gold line can't help, baggage line doesn't have a relevant option and plays a recorded message before dropping the call. I guess we just have to wait to go to the airport tomorrow to find out the status of our bags or does someone know a way through the maze please? e.g.is their a number for baggage handling at T3 - the agent spoke to someone there to sort it yesterday?
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:51 am

Programs: BA Gold
Just looking for some advice... though I'm sure it's been covered elsewhere, so sorry in advance.

Flight yesterday cancelled, and subsequently directed to sort ourselves out as BA had run out of hotels. Headed to central London, and got a decent rate for a hotel at £195, tried without success to rebook flights, so gave up. Have now been automatically rebooked, but flying TOMORROW, so 2 days late. Subsequently need another night at a hotel. The same hotel is now £300!! I'll be damned if I'm moving.

Anyone any advice on what I'll be able to reclaim from BA? Also, what is reasonable in terms of meal and other incidental expenses??

Thanks for any advice.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
Originally Posted by Trent900Powered
Just looking for some advice... though I'm sure it's been covered elsewhere, so sorry in advance.

Flight yesterday cancelled, and subsequently directed to sort ourselves out as BA had run out of hotels. Headed to central London, and got a decent rate for a hotel at £195, tried without success to rebook flights, so gave up. Have now been automatically rebooked, but flying TOMORROW, so 2 days late. Subsequently need another night at a hotel. The same hotel is now £300!! I'll be damned if I'm moving.

Anyone any advice on what I'll be able to reclaim from BA? Also, what is reasonable in terms of meal and other incidental expenses??

Thanks for any advice.
Anicdotally £200 a night seems to be OK with BA.
However my colleague in germany had problems in the fog last december and received money back from BA in the last 3-4 weeks!!, so I wouldn't plan seeing that money back any time soon unless you have the time to keep chasing them
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:02 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Spent most of last night trying to get re bookee to Brussels today with no luck. AA finally agreed to take back the ticket and re book me, back to YVR where I came from. I am just giving up at this point and going back home. Now at T3 getting ticket #s reattached, i came early to sort any problems and now see that the YVR flight is a couple of hours delayed so should have more than edequate time to fix and get some lounge time.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:04 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by stewaran
Anicdotally £200 a night seems to be OK with BA.
However my colleague in germany had problems in the fog last december and received money back from BA in the last 3-4 weeks!!, so I wouldn't plan seeing that money back any time soon unless you have the time to keep chasing them
Sounds about right! Couldn't believe it when I saw we'd been rebooked for the 12th! All flights packed/cancelled again today😬 I'll be putting forward a robust argument as to why they should be paying £300 for the second night!

anymore advice appreciated.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:05 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Update from Philadelphia: After the stressful time yesterday evening trying to get hold of someone to speak to at BA this morning we faired better.

After spending over 2hrs on hold yesterday I gave up and just accepted the suggested reschedule on MMB just to make sure I had a booking somewhere. This morning I called BA again and got through after 20 mins holding. Using Expert Flyer I tried to find a flight out... all flights out of JFK and EWR fully booked (not surprised!) but I did find 3 seats available on a flight out of IAD. I asked if he could rebook me on that flight and he did... so I am now making my way via a one-way car rental to Washington DC hoping we can actually get home tonight.

What a mess. Good luck everyone who is stuck.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
Originally Posted by MrPrice16
Still stuck in Stockholm... So after having our flight BA783 cancelled last night and now then got rebooked onto the BA781 today, that got cancelled overnight as well (schedule 767 service so perhaps stuck in NCL).

Unfortuabtely we haven’t been rebooked in a service yet unlike the gentleman who’s been reroute via HEL. Any suggestions on how we can get back today? As presume BA will want to delay us tommorow.

If I buy a new ticket with another carrier will BA reimburse?
I assume that there is no general problem in Stockholm and it is only LHR which causes the issue for you? I think that as advised above, in such cases, I would encourage anyone to book the cheapest alternative and claim back indeed. EC261 suggests "rerouting on the first available flight" without specifying that it has to be on the same carrier so if the airline cannot accommodate and do this directly, I would personally do it myself and push for reimbursement. That said, having a good travel insurance 'in case' is always recommended and would reimburse the cost of the new flights following cancellation due to weather almost invariably.
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Elevate
Trouble is baggage is allocated to a now cancelled and refunded booking reference. So what happens to it - the guy I spoke to on the gold line can't help, baggage line doesn't have a relevant option and plays a recorded message before dropping the call. I guess we just have to wait to go to the airport tomorrow to find out the status of our bags or does someone know a way through the maze please? e.g.is their a number for baggage handling at T3 - the agent spoke to someone there to sort it yesterday?
If they cannot get any further forward at the airport tomorrow then I would use this hyperlink after the flight.
ba.com/baggage
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:18 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Originally Posted by Trent900Powered

Thanks for any advice.
BA are reporting on Twitter that they will pay:

Up to £200 for accomodation
£25 for transportation expenses per person
£25 per per person a day for food

We can pay up to £200 for accommodation and £50 transport between two passengers, alongside £25 a day for food. Please hold on to any receipts

As I understand it they will look at claims on a case by case basis as everyone's situation is different and there is some flexibility there perhaps bar the £200 a night for a hotel which is in line with many other scheduled airlines policy and not just confined to BA.

Just keep any other receipts for incidental expenses and as corporate-wage-slave has stated long as they are reasonable I am sure BA will pay.

Also, see the Wiki which has information

Pete

Last edited by PETER01; Dec 11, 2017 at 7:35 am
Old Dec 11, 2017, 7:19 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, HH Diamond.
[QUOTE=anymore advice appreciated.[/QUOTE]

The only other thing I have from my colleagues misfortune, Is that BA told him they could not help for 3 days, He booked on eurowings for €80 and was home the next lunchtime!

So may be worth checking non-BA options if your keen to get going
PETER01 and Silver Fox like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.