Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad weather disruption - UK/AMS/NW Europe - 10 & 11 December 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA current newsflash here / London Cancellation list for Tuesday here
Rebooking policy for operating flights on Monday and Tuesday here / EC261 main thread here
ba.com/helpme one stop shop on BA.com giving lots of advice and pointers to where to claim expenses.
For EC261, delay/cancellation compensation is not payable for this event but BA is still liable for the Regulation's “Right to care” provisions. Refreshments can be claimed after 2 hours of delay departing (3 hours for flights longer than LHR-Rome, 4 hours for longhaul), £200 guideline for hotels - OK to book your own and charge back. £50 guideline for taxis. Meals, drinks and communication costs are also covered. Keep / photo receipts. If on a Buy on Board aircraft, use Avios to buy items - it will be faster to refund. For missing baggage, it's OK to claim essential items, such as clothing, toiletries. Keep / photo the receipts.
Print Wikipost

Bad weather disruption - UK/AMS/NW Europe - 10 & 11 December 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:23 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold, GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Accor Plat, Pucci Fan Club
Originally Posted by Prospero
T5 check in is extremely busy at the moment. I had about a 15 minutes wait for my turn at a check in desk in the First Wing. I just needed to collect my BP.

Galleries First is full to the gunwales at the mo.
just had the same experience. Walking through GF it looked very busy with people standing around. CCR also busy but there are tables in the dining room.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
John Wilson of BBC Radio (excellent Front Row programme for example) just tweeted that he's drinking martinis in the CCR trying to find out how to get to Sweden, if anyone wants to seek him out and cheer him up.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by bisonrav
John Wilson of BBC Radio (excellent Front Row programme for example) just tweeted that he's drinking martinis in the CCR trying to find out how to get to Sweden, if anyone wants to seek him out and cheer him up.
He also appears to be an interloper, claiming to simply have barged past reception to gain entry.

Report him!
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by Upupintheair
Exactly my concern, there is heavy snow predicted for tomorrow as well. Just frustrating that no options are offered and am now in limbo. Trains were severely disrupted today as well and think that will be the same tomorrow, so I am not sure that will be an actual option.
I was lucky getting in after 9am this morning when it was snowing. Getting home though was a pain as had the choice of the M1 and A1, and the M1 was apparently the better option. Took me 2h30 longer than usual 3h30 to get home due to the number of jack-knifed lorries and cars that had skidded and just been left sitting blocking lanes up to the Luton area. Quite a few bits where the lane next to the barriers was unusable due to a foot of snow / ice and a lot of ridges that were causing skids.
A lot of surface water between the M4 and Hangar Lane in places that could well make things icy.

Traffic heading southbound on the M1 was barely moving at all for miles. Coupled with other roads having issues, may have not been easy to drive to LHR today.
M4 didn't seem that bad. Slower than usual but flowing.

Mostly seems to be slushy in London although that could freeze badly tonight. Wouldn't be surprised if more signal and point failures on trains and the tube tomorrow.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:34 am

Programs: BA Oneworld
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Can you go hand baggage only? Then I'd take the small risk and arrive after the aircraft has landed, it can't normally depart before then.

If you have checked luggage, you can't avoid checking it in under the normal time unless you get a specific message from the airport that check-in will be held open. It may be anyway, particularly if the ground agents handle multiple flights, but you're well into risk territory then.

There is a half way house, which isn't brilliant, but I put it out there: if your bags do need to be checked in but aren't huge then take them airside through security and get them checked in at the gate. You won't win any prizes for good behaviour doing that, but there you go.
Thanks (as ever) for your reply. We have checked bags so I have to guess my fate is set. Oh well, that's that, can't blame anyone for the weather. Assuming the flight gets off at aound 4.30 am, do you think they will dole out a full dinner service (CW) an hour after wheels up, or do they have the capacity to swap: i.e. serve the breakfast on departure (which is appropriate at 06.00) and then simply make what should have been dinner into a lunch later before arrival?
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:34 am

259 cancellations and 15 diversions now
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA LTG, Hilton Diamond, FB Platinum, EK Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Well in this situation, the following is going through my mind:

1) Do I really, really need to travel? Can I just make some excuses and leave it a few days? Will the sky fall in?
2) If we're still here, is it still worth doing if I know I'm going to perhaps spend 3 not entirely pleasant hours more than normal or even more?
3) If we're still here, how about something like RTM-LCY? Even if they are disrupted, small airports are much more adaptable in these circumstance.
4) And if we still want to go from AMS tomorrow, take a good book and something nice to munch on.
haha, exactly! Decided to rebook on Tuesday evening, should be safe after 2 days of snow here. Now unfortunately still need to call BA to cancel my flight, quite annoying, but better than sitting on an aircraft forever going nowhere as so many today and probably tomorrow.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:47 am

Sitting in Bournemouth now... after thinking we were really lucky to get off from NCE on a quick turnaround after a 3+ hour delay. BA343 for anyone wondering. Blindly curious to know what happened to BA347 as that's the (later) flight I was originally to get on.

Anyone who knows what's going on, I'd appreciate PM's with any useful and specific advice. Looks like we're awaiting permission to continue to LHR after refueling, but we also have the risk of losing our crew due to legal limits.

Thanks and good luck to anyone else out there.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by binman
Its very simple....because they can and there is no one who will hold they to account over such treatment of passengers.

I was caught up in a similar event 7 years ago its clear nothing has been learnt. Consumers really need protection against this type of abuse from BA.
The 2010 Snowpocalypse is what actually led me to give up my flat in London and significantly reduce the time I spend in the UK. Of course people here in Phoenix today are complaining that it's cold when it's going to be 24C!
binman likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:49 am

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
BA404 to brussels just went to cacelation. I am approaching trip in vain...
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:52 am

Location: @somewhere, if help needed use my email address [email protected]
Programs: BA & QR
Originally Posted by Upupintheair
yes...quite, was booked on the 443

BA426 LHR-AMS cancelled
BA427 AMS-LHR cancelled

and I am getting ready for work, let’s see if there any trains running on schedule.

big mess also expected for tomorrow

be careful everyone who is travelling
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:52 am

Programs: BA Gold, GFL, GGL/CCR
Originally Posted by To Eat.To Drink

4 hours now but looks like we have a stand now...
My colleague is in the same situation. Four hours after landing from the US to get a bus gate - then over an hour wait for a bus to get to the terminal! I note the BA website has the plane down as arriving early....
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
LCY is not too busy with people, but there are a lot of Flybe cancellations as well as the BA ones (might affect people on codeshares). The 15:30 BA8455 to AMS has boarded, the cabin door closed about 17:20, but we are waiting for a slot at AMS.

The Captain has said that AMS had only one decing truck available earlier, and all aircraft needed deicing, causing great delays.

I continue to to be appalled at the inability of AMS to operate more than one runway in any adverse eather, I would genuinely like to know if there is some aviation operations reason.

Meanwhile, I learned something about checking today: I arrived at LCY 20 minutes after the flight closed, due to the bad conditions (no apparent snow ploughing, sundry accidents) on the M11 motorway. Often if I have bags to check, as today, I don't bother to check in online since I already have a seat reserved and I have to go to a counter anyway.

However, the checkin agent could accept my bags for a late flight as long as I was checked in. So my lesson is clear: checking online if running late for a delayed flight, apart from the various other reasons to be checked in earlier rather than later.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:56 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Complex ex-EU at risk

I’m at OSL where BA769 was to be the first leg of a schedule connecting to HKG on the 20:55 Monday service and then on to Sydney. All a single ticket.

Urgent question. I have the option to book onto Norwegian to LGW in the morning. Should I take it, or would this put the rest of my ticket at risk? I can’t get through to the Gold line or any other line to ask them to protect my ticket.

About 150 ahead of me in the queue here so could be several hours before I speak to someone, and I’m sure the local staff here are not who I need in this situation.

Any advice very gratefully received.

Last edited by Kleaver; Dec 10, 2017 at 11:03 am
Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:57 am

Programs: BA Gold / Hilton Diamond / IHG Diamond Ambassador / Marriot Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by dylanks

The 2010 Snowpocalypse is what actually led me to give up my flat in London and significantly reduce the time I spend in the UK. Of course people here in Phoenix today are complaining that it's cold when it's going to be 24C!
I live very close to LHR and can assure you there has been very little snow, a dusting I would call it. Many parts of the UK are facing significant issues but it was all very well forecast. There is absolutely no comparison to the snowpocalype, as you put it, of 2010. (great phrase by the way)
dylanks likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.