Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad weather disruption - UK/AMS/NW Europe - 10 & 11 December 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA current newsflash here / London Cancellation list for Tuesday here
Rebooking policy for operating flights on Monday and Tuesday here / EC261 main thread here
ba.com/helpme one stop shop on BA.com giving lots of advice and pointers to where to claim expenses.
For EC261, delay/cancellation compensation is not payable for this event but BA is still liable for the Regulation's “Right to care” provisions. Refreshments can be claimed after 2 hours of delay departing (3 hours for flights longer than LHR-Rome, 4 hours for longhaul), £200 guideline for hotels - OK to book your own and charge back. £50 guideline for taxis. Meals, drinks and communication costs are also covered. Keep / photo receipts. If on a Buy on Board aircraft, use Avios to buy items - it will be faster to refund. For missing baggage, it's OK to claim essential items, such as clothing, toiletries. Keep / photo the receipts.
Print Wikipost

Bad weather disruption - UK/AMS/NW Europe - 10 & 11 December 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2017, 5:47 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by flyer31
Wow, I am transiting on Monday. Wish I do not stuck in LHR.
To be fair, what florens posted was the forecast for today. The airport forecast doesn't cover Monday yet, however looking at the general forecast I can see that it is going to warm up over the weekend with temperatures on Monday up to 8C. Snow is very unlikely on Monday so you shouldn't be worried, enjoy your flights.
florens likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:00 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Since you bought the MUC-LHR on the BA website I suspect you would be able to claim this, along with any other reasonable out of pockets expenses you had on this rather unfortunate set of flights. The way it may effectively work is a refund on the cancelled service and a top up for the fare you did end up paying. The only aspect I'm not clear on is whether you tried to rebook the original - now cancelled - flight via BA.com or the App?

So I tried rebooking that flight but as I clicked the "alternative flights" button I just had a message pop up saying "It is currently not possible to do this online, please call BA customer service rep"
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:03 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Andriyko
Some posters speculate that it was a matter of not having enough de-icing machines, which is simply not true.
Originally Posted by DYKWIA
This is the first time I've seen this said so authoritatively. Where did you get this information, as I think the lack of de-icing rigs was the basis of the complaint?
Originally Posted by simons1
What 'facts' are you referring to? You refer to not having enough deicing machines etc, but what were the numbers etc?

The only fact I can recall you mentioning was the one about all airlines having flights cancelled which I think we agreed was not correct.
If the facts have been established, I see no point in continuing to exchange opinions and wish Smaxmuppet good luck with pursing the claim.
So, you can't back up your assertion from upthread? Or you're refusing to do so?
rossmacd likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mcgol
So I tried rebooking that flight but as I clicked the "alternative flights" button I just had a message pop up saying "It is currently not possible to do this online, please call BA customer service rep"
That indeed is a common outcome unfortunately. I think they had that cleared on Monday but that wasn't any good to you. You may need to be a bit persistent, and the change to CE could complicate matters, but I would claim for it, along with the diversion expenses. For unrelated reasons I was looking at that flight a few days back and CE was available as a redemption, which is always worth checking in these circumstances.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Honours Silver, Marriott, Hyatt, IHG
Originally Posted by Knickam
Is there any way to find out how much de-icing machines BA had available?

I remember being stuck on a plane at heathrow for over 4 hours waiting to be deiced back in 2002
If I remember correctly the pilot said there were only around 6 machines available and it was a 1 hour round trip for them to get filled up again.
BA has in excess of 20 rigs available at LHR these days
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:08 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hertz Gold, Avis Preferred, Honours Silver, Marriott, Hyatt, IHG
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I notice Air Canada got all their flights out, in most cases with less than a 2 hour delay. Perhaps BA should be run by some Canadians in the winter who don't panic at the sight of 3 flakes of snow?

Surely BA should be asking what's the cost of a few more de-icing trucks vs the cost of hotels, rebookings, overtime for staff, loss of business from flights not run and 261, plus general loss of goodwill. That can't be cheap either, especially when they do it every year.
This made me smile as the Managing Director of BA Operations is indeed Canadian.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:17 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
That indeed is a common outcome unfortunately. I think they had that cleared on Monday but that wasn't any good to you. You may need to be a bit persistent, and the change to CE could complicate matters, but I would claim for it, along with the diversion expenses. For unrelated reasons I was looking at that flight a few days back and CE was available as a redemption, which is always worth checking in these circumstances.
ok will go through their normal claim forms them. Would you suggest filing this as one big compensation claim or as several individual ones? Like the diversion as one, the cancellation as an other etc etc.

Thanks
Old Dec 15, 2017, 6:29 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by mcgol
ok will go through their normal claim forms them. Would you suggest filing this as one big compensation claim or as several individual ones? Like the diversion as one, the cancellation as an other etc etc.
Just put it in as one, using their new portal:
https://www.britishairways.com/trave...portal/public/
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:47 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
So, you can't back up your assertion from upthread? Or you're refusing to do so?
Yes, I refuse to point out the same information over and over; after all, all of us are reading the same thread, but some of us only see 'BA did not have a sufficient number of de-icing machines.' If someone wants to believe that it was all down to the de-icing capability then it's their prerogative to do so. If some people choose not to notice that there was freezing rain in the morning, which prevented airlines from de-icing their aircraft then, again, it is their prerogative to do so. However, ice accretion rates due to freezing rain is much greater than those associated with other forms of winter precipitation, which means that a typical hold over time can be very little, which in turn means that it is not possible to receive treatment and then take off within the allowable time frame. Those morning conditions alone would have created a huge problem for airlines, as aircraft could not vacate the stands. I wonder what use tens of additional de-icing machines would be in those conditions. I am not trying to convince anyone of anything; I am merely trying to point out that it is not all black and white. People are free to view the events however they want and to ignore whatever information they want. The freezing rain has been mentioned quite a few times, and yet we've been stuck in the 'if only BA had more de-icing machines' loop. Continuing this discussion is simply a futile exercise. After all, people will believe and do whatever they want.

I notice Air Canada got all their flights out, in most cases with less than a 2 hour delay. Perhaps BA should be run by some Canadians in the winter who don't panic at the sight of 3 flakes of snow?
I wonder how successful AC would have been with the number of flights that BA had at LHR. Surely, it is easier to dispatch three flights a day than a few hundred? How can anyone seriously compare the operations of these two airlines at LHR and say that they are equal?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 7:56 am

Location: Usually LAX or SFO but sometimes MIA in the winter or LCY or PVK in the summer and every now and then SIN or SGN
Programs: in ASM, APL & C++ but never Java
Okay, I'm going against the grain, but here we go. Planned to arrive T5 ~8:00AM on Sunday 10th for 281 to LAX. Figured nice breakfast in GF, catch up on some work and a leisurely stroll to the C gates via the tunnel were all in order. Then the snow came down and near chaos ensued on the roads. Made it to T5 about 8:30AM. First Wing was empty, but warned 281 was going to be late as delayed from BWI. 12:30 departure turned into 14:10 and I boarded about 13:40. CW was mostly empty, I think ~5 people in the forward 787-9 CW cabin.

After everyone was onboard and doors closed, captain comes on to announce 2+ hour delay waiting for deicing and a tug. Start talking to 2 passengers by me, and we soon all end up in the galley with a bottle of champaign talking to the crew. I can honestly say it was the oddest and most enjoyable 4+ hour delay I've ever had! A lot of the CW passengers were hanging out chatting, having a laugh while a crowd formed by the door trying to get a glimmer of a signal from the terminal WiFi. Kudos the CW CC on 281 as they did an awesome job of making us laugh, and this flight remains one of my most memorable and favorite in a long time due to the crew and passenger I meet. I suppose had I been in the last row of WT it may have been a different story.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Life Miles, Miles and more
This is the first time I've seen this said so authoritatively. Where did you get this information, as I think the lack of de-icing rigs was the basis of the complaint?

The (non-confirmed) story that's been mentioned is that only 1 of 6 de-icing rigs was available.
I am also interested in where this authoritative information comes from? If they know this perhaps inform the forum to save people time in court?

It seems very worthwhile to me to let a court, with access to all the information , decide whether BA did in fact take reasonable measures, as the outcome certainly suggests that is possible. I don't think many are suggesting it is certain that BA are culpable, but there's a case to answer.

I'm impressed by how some posters have such certainty that BA was perfectly prepared and could definitely have done nothing more without even knowing any of the facts (none of us do). We do know BA was giving out misleading information which angered ATC - not a group you imagine taking to twitter to voice its displeasure without considerable cause. So I wouldn't put trust any of their statements on the matter, let he court sort it out.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by nallison
BA was perfectly prepared
To be honest, this is not how I view 'reasonable measures,' I was certainly not saying that BA was 'perfectly' prepared (I don't think anyone was so not sure where you got that). I believe that 'reasonable' for LHR is having enough infrastructure to allow a reduced flying schedule in wintry conditions rather than full one because having enough equipment/staff as if de-icing were required almost every day would be impractical and prohibitively expensive. Of course, for an affected passenger 'reasonable' would mean something very different - anything, no matter the cost, to avoid a cancellation. Even if it means that the equipment/staff are needed only 2 or 3 days a year, 'Reasonably' prepared and 'perfectly' prepared are two very different things.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 10:48 am

Programs: HH - Gold, BA - Blue
Originally Posted by nallison
I am also interested in where this authoritative information comes from.
I believe it was a tweet from an "aviation analyst" with no aviation knowledge or experience and is widely known within the aviation community as being a total... tool?
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I wonder how successful AC would have been with the number of flights that BA had at LHR.
They do it every winter in places like YYZ and YUL. It's called being prepared. BA clearly wasn't prepared, either from an equipment or people point of view.
snaxmuppet likes this.
Old Dec 15, 2017, 12:59 pm

They do it every winter in places like YYZ and YUL. It's called being prepared. BA clearly wasn't prepared, either from an equipment or people point of view.
You are comparing apples and oranges here. The question is would AC have the required infrastructure at LHR. We're not talking about YYZ or YUL. I am not sure why you are bringing those airports as an example. It is not about whether it can be done, but more about whether it makes sense to do it for something that happens 3 or 4 days a year (as opposed to every day in the airports you mention). It's the same as people talk about MUC where they apparently have de-icing equipment right next to the entrance to the runway - something that was said to be impossible at LHR due to space constraints, and yet, people keep bringing it up and refuse to accept the reality. Sure, it is easy to mention other airports with no regard to whether it is possible or makes sense to have at LHR. Following your logic, LH, LX, KL were not prepared either at LHR. Surely, with BA being the biggest operator at LHR the biggest share of cancellations would have fallen on it, would not it? Are we talking about what is reasonable to have at LHR or what is possible to do in general?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.