Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Bad weather disruption - UK/AMS/NW Europe - 10 & 11 December 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 11, 2017, 3:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: corporate-wage-slave
BA current newsflash here / London Cancellation list for Tuesday here
Rebooking policy for operating flights on Monday and Tuesday here / EC261 main thread here
ba.com/helpme one stop shop on BA.com giving lots of advice and pointers to where to claim expenses.
For EC261, delay/cancellation compensation is not payable for this event but BA is still liable for the Regulation's “Right to care” provisions. Refreshments can be claimed after 2 hours of delay departing (3 hours for flights longer than LHR-Rome, 4 hours for longhaul), Ł200 guideline for hotels - OK to book your own and charge back. Ł50 guideline for taxis. Meals, drinks and communication costs are also covered. Keep / photo receipts. If on a Buy on Board aircraft, use Avios to buy items - it will be faster to refund. For missing baggage, it's OK to claim essential items, such as clothing, toiletries. Keep / photo the receipts.
Print Wikipost

Bad weather disruption - UK/AMS/NW Europe - 10 & 11 December 2017

Search this Thread

Old Dec 10, 2017, 10:59 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP

Wow. Not a single plane approaching right now!
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:00 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BrianWBrazil
Thanks (as ever) for your reply. We have checked bags so I have to guess my fate is set. Oh well, that's that, can't blame anyone for the weather. Assuming the flight gets off at aound 4.30 am, do you think they will dole out a full dinner service (CW) an hour after wheels up, or do they have the capacity to swap: i.e. serve the breakfast on departure (which is appropriate at 06.00) and then simply make what should have been dinner into a lunch later before arrival?
I would normally expect them to serve according to the original timetable, those down the back may well be starving by this stage. Your other option is to charm the cabin crew and perhaps they will keep back the cold components on the dinner service (salad, dessert, cheese) for you to have after a few hours after departure. My experience that by this stage people are so bored that they welcome breaking the tedium by having the meals originally planned for the service.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by binman
I live very close to LHR and can assure you there has been very little snow, a dusting I would call it. Many parts of the UK are facing significant issues but it was all very well forecast. There is absolutely no comparison to the snowpocalype, as you put it, of 2010. (great phrase by the way)
Amen. It's been a tits-up of epical proportions, for just a little slush. And it's stopped snowing hours ago. HAL and BA are to fault; HAL for having seemingly failed to use the hundreds of pieces of kit they've got stored at both runways ends, T5C and other places; BA for having done exactly the same with the de-icing rigs. Meanwhile, not far south, BA LGW had 2 cancellations, both AMS flights. Two.

The 2011/12 and '13 disruption were caused by lack of equipment. This one cannot possibly be so, and it's not good enough to blame the weatherman. It just isn't.
Elevate and Silver Fox like this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:07 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by 13900
Amen. It's been a tits-up of epical proportions, for just a little slush. And it's stopped snowing hours ago. HAL and BA are to fault; HAL for having seemingly failed to use the hundreds of pieces of kit they've got stored at both runways ends, T5C and other places; BA for having done exactly the same with the de-icing rigs. Meanwhile, not far south, BA LGW had 2 cancellations, both AMS flights. Two.

The 2011/12 and '13 disruption were caused by lack of equipment. This one cannot possibly be so, and it's not good enough to blame the weatherman. It just isn't.
I agree. However, I wonder whether one part of the problem could be that staff weren‘t able to travel to Heathrow to get to work?
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:07 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club
Original Poster

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Kleaver
I’m at OSL in where BA769 was to be the first leg of a schedule connecting to HKG on the 20:55 Monday service and then on to Sydney.
Urgent question. I have the option to book onto Norwegian to LGW in the morning. Should I take it, or would this put the rest of my schedule at risk? I can’t get through to the Gold line or any other line to ask them to protect my ticket.
Formally missing the first sector would mean the rest of the ticket would be invalid, however in this precise circumstance it will be reinstated. Your flight will need to be marked as cancelled, so take screenshots and photos, and retain some proof that DY carried you, though that should not really be necessary. The only downside is that reinstating a ticket in LHR can be very tedious, it may take 20 minutes or so. Also if DY is also cancelled/delayed you may be no better off, though LGW is working quite well at the moment. Personally I would do what you are suggesting, there is a tiny risk you will find an agent in LHR unwilling to be helpful, but hopefully not. Also you probably won't be able to claim the DY ticket off BA very easily (you may be lucky) but really your best bet is to consider getting out of the airport and then rebooking in a few days, if that is possible.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:09 am

Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
Terminal 5 closed

can anyone confim if terminal 5 is closed for arrivals or departures? Been diverted and been told it’s closed
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:11 am

Originally Posted by florens

I agree. However, I wonder whether one part of the problem could be that staff weren‘t able to travel to Heathrow to get to work?
The Piccadilly Line has promptly fallen to pieces but, again, it was less than an inch of slush. I've been in Bosnia, Hungary, Central Asia in winter, during serious snowstorms, and yet the airports worked. LHR just dies at the sight of a snowflake, or even at the threat of one (anyone remember last year's "thundersnow"?).
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, BA LTG, Hilton Diamond, FB Platinum, EK Gold
BA 423, BA 435, BA 439 for TOMORROW cancelled on the AMS- LHR route and as such also on the LHR-AMS route
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:12 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by florens
I wonder whether one part of the problem could be that staff weren‘t able to travel to Heathrow to get to work?
Possibly - I waited almost 40 minutes for a westbound Piccadilly Line train at Green Park this morning, due to the weather (according to the TFL website).
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:14 am

Location: @somewhere, if help needed use my email address [email protected]
Programs: BA & QR
Tomorrow Amsterdam 11th of December looks like code red, weather forecast worse then today.

and BA434/BA435 have been cancelled just 3 minutes ago.

Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Further news update dated 16:20 GMT

Originally Posted by BA.com
Summary
Today, December 10, 2017, Heathrow has experienced unpredicted severe adverse weather conditions. Torrential rain in the early hours of this morning made proactive de-icing aircraft impossible and as the temperatures have remained low, and safety is our number one priority, there is a requirement to de-ice every individual aircraft before it departs the airport.

More informationWe are doing all we can to minimise disruption, but like other airlines at Heathrow, we are experiencing delays and cancellations.

We apologise for the inconvenience, and we would like to assure customers that we are doing everything we can to get as many people away on their flights as possible.

Please do not travel to the airport if your flight has been cancelled.

WHAT TO DO IF YOU ARE DUE TO FLY TODAY

Please keep checking the very latest information about your flight before travelling to the airport. Please note that because of the current forecast, the situation may change at short notice.

> Check the status of your flight

You can also check your flight status on your mobile phone or download the BA app.

WHAT TO DO IF YOU'RE DUE TO FLY TOMORROW

We will continue to monitor the weather for tomorrow and update this page later today with any planned changes to our schedule.

Please continue to check here for the latest updates..

WHAT TO DO IF YOUR FLIGHT HAS BEEN CANCELLED

If you're flying to or from Heathrow today, Sunday December 10 or tomorrow, Monday December 11, we are offering the opportunity to re-book on alternative flights between Monday December 11 and Monday December 18, free of charge.

Customers can re-book their flight through the 'Manage my booking' tool.

Please note that there are long queues for our call centre at the moment, so using the website to re-book is the quickest and easiest way to do this.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:15 am

Programs: Hilton HHonors, BAEC Silver
Not sure if the terminal is open or closed as I'm not in the area. There are flights now landing and departing from LHR, but there are an unusual amount of BA aircraft destined for LHR loafing around west of the Bristol Channel (BA347 as an example NCE-LHR). Perhaps your aircraft needed to land for fuel reasons if a long hold overhead was expected.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: BA Gold, Etihad Guest
Can't confirm anything, but this morning arrivals were being prioritised over departures as Heathrow was operating on a single runway due to the weather. Not being at work anymore, I can only assume that parking space has become an issue due to aircraft not having departed (on time) etc.
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Lots of flights cancelled... hmmm
Old Dec 10, 2017, 11:19 am

Quite curious to know from anyone who does... our captain said specifically that "Terminal Five" was not accepting any flights when we were in diversion patterns and trying to find space at LGW/STN/LTN before eventually ending up in Bournmouth. This would seemingly suggest a problem handing aircraft at T5 gates as opposed to a problem at the whole airport.

Anyone know if other carriers are making it in/out of LHR at the moment? I'm kind of surprised by the specific mention (both in this message and by our captain about an hour ago) of T5 as opposed to LHR.

Most of all a curiosity, but also slightly a wondering if this is a logistic screwup as opposed to a full-on unmanageable situation...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.